Spare Some Change: Undertale Kickstarter

By Adam Smith on June 24th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

I checked out Undertale’s demo last week and I strongly suggest that you do the same. It’s in the category of games that I’d call ‘surrole-playing games weird RPGs’, an unruly gang containing the likes of Space Funeral, unexpected adventures that revel in their retro postmodernism. As well as a surreal, funny and touching story, Undertale has random encounters that are actually fun, with a smart bullet hell (or at least bullet heck) minigame to settle combat. But there’s no need for fisticuffs at all because every encounter can be settled through conversation and understanding of body language, which is slightly more difficult when your opponent is a sexy jelly. The Kickstarter has almost hit its $5,000 goal in the time it took me to go to the shops, return and make a sandwich. Still, take a look.

Be warned – the developer is the cuddliest little fellow you’ll ever set eyes on.

I reckon by the time this comes out next year, it’ll have started creating the buzz of a thousand flies. Since I looked at it last week, it’s stayed, rattling around in my brain and making more of an impression there. Something special is brewing. Oh, and please listen to this track from the score, for the love of Horace.

, , , , .

1. Xepter says:

The embedded Kickstarter video (or whatever the box should have linked to) doesn’t work :S

2. Fingerthing says:

Found the demo a week or so ago and oh my goodness I love this game. Just the demo in and of itself is a clever deconstruction of tutorials and RPGs. For those who haven’t played it, let’s just say there’s a lot more to it than meets the eye.

I’m right now throwing money at Armikrog, but I think I might just have to squeeze in 10 dollarinos for this one.

Anthile says:

Well, that was certainly something different. I always wanted to explore the intricacies of the spider baking craft.

Bluerps says:

I loved the demo.
    I was glad that there is a way to not kill the motherly tutorial person.

• aepervius says:

Did you go pass the persons while she is sitting in her chair inear the fireplace ? I alwaays get caught when going in the basement. Maybe it is the end of the demo ?

Bluerps says:

No, you have to fight her, it’s just not necessary to kill her. After that, the demo ends.

• Philomelle says:

From my experience, it’s not necessary to kill anyone in the game. The Check command will always give you a hint on how to get out of a confrontation without bloodshed.

They’re not joking when they say it’s a game about love.

Bluerps says:

Exactly.

• Tacroy says:

Actually, I couldn’t figure out a way to not kill those vegetable bastards. I think they want it though, I don’t think they’re being sarcastic.

• Philomelle says:

I’m pretty sure you can spare them by beating them up a bit, then choosing Mercy > Spare. You’re right, though, it looks like the vegetables actually want you to eat them.

5. thulfram says:

Retro – check!
    Cute – check!
    Music – check!
    Humor – check!
    Space Battles – WTF?

I hope they do a better job than Wayforward’s Sigma Star Saga. That game had random space shooting as a bridge between scenes and it was tough! But definitely goofy in a Wayforward kind of way. I think this could usher in a new genre. Sounds cool. Maybe I’ll do one. RPG Space Shooter Bullet Hell. Oh, and not killing monsters, a la Shin Megami Tensei. And, damn! A dating sim too. This is the nineteen-course dinner I’ve wanted all my life.

So, they got my $30 and they went over the top in one day. Stretch goal, please, oh, please — something on Nintendo. We’ll get Mother in there some way or the other. Wouldn’t this look good on the Wii U?