Conscripted Events: Company Of Heroes 2 Launch

By Adam Smith on June 25th, 2013 at 9:08 am.

The wait for a new Company of Heroes game has been long and grim, with little else in the interim to satisfy the particular strategic itch that Relic’s WWII game scratched so well. Now that Company of Heroes 2 has arrived, a new trailer provides an overview of the new features and despite the silly names of things like ColdTech, I can’t help but be pleased by the fact that the inclusion of ‘vaulting’ warrants a slow motion closeup. For more information and oversight than even a thousand trailers could reveal, you could always check out Wot I Think, or simply scroll through the twenty-odd items of day-one DLC for a while. It is mostly cosmetic and I didn’t touch any of it.

Vault Tec, surely?

, , .

1. Ooops says:

Being a bit OCD about my games, I usually want to have all DLCs (stupid, I know, but can’t help it). So any game that gets released with a shit-load of useless and overpriced DLCs on day one, is going to get an automatic pass from my side. Yuck!

• bstard says:

Come on it’s only 26 pieces of 0-day DLC!

• PatrickSwayze says:

It’s just tank paint.

Nothing you need unless you want to be a beautiful battlefield butterfly.

• FunkyLlama says:

Not true – there’s 4 commanders, each of which affects the gameplay. Yet another promising game ruined by P2W bullshit.

• Synesthesia says:

wait, really? That’s just grade-A bullshit. Have they not been paying attention at ALL? Guess i’ll be passing on this one too. Fuck p2w.

• Leb says:

the additional commanders just offer different mixes of what is already available to everyone else.

So instead of the shocktroop-tankrepair-airstrike commander, players also get a guardtroop-tankrepair-airstrike commander. Guard troops are already available in the guardtroop-mortar-support commander, so no one is getting something that other people don’t have (not the literal example but essentially that’s what it is).

I’m unsure how much a slight change in commander units will effect gameplay, it’s yet to be shown if the exclusive commanders open up any strategies that could not be done otherwise. In my experience, they wouldn’t make 2 shits difference.

wengart says:

What Leb said is correct. The new commanders also have to be unlocked by rank. So even though I preordered the game and have access to them I need to reach level 10, 20, 30, and 40 respectively to unlock them.

Also commanders in COH2 are more about assisting your playstyle rather than defining it. There isn’t anything like the Blitzkreig or Airborne commanders from COH1.

• Ateius says:

DLC commanders are just remixes of the original commanders, combining powers from A and B into a new C. You might see a new combination you think would complement your playstyle (personally, I find the Conscript Support commander looks attractive, as I usually rely on conscripts as my primary infantry) or you might decide one of the existing commanders already fits your needs. It is in no way ‘pay to win’.

• revan says:

I’m exactly the same. That’s why when such a game appears I wait for all in one 75% off sale. Plenty of backlog to fill my time.

2. Nickentik says:

The steamprice for the basic game is € 80 in euroloand. I hope it’s a typo.

• Core says:

Part of me fears that it’s deliberate.

• 65 says:

It’s currently the same price as the Digital Collector’s edition.
        So fear not, someone merely fucked their launch up.

• Saarlaender39 says:

It’s €79,99 for the “Digital Collector’s Edition”, €49,99 for the “Normal” Edition, and €28 for the “Digital Collector’s Edition Upgrade”…funny thing: if you want the “DCE”, you get away cheaper, if you buy the Normal Edition and the “DCG-Upgrade” seperately.
      That way, you save €2,-

3. PatrickSwayze says:

Hooray for no oceans!

• Kevin says:

Except for the fact that you limeys got to play it about 8-11 hours sooner than us yanks :(

In all seriousness, this is far less egregious than instances of Oceans impeding the release of oh so many games released days later for Europeans (and on the flipside when they got the release of Far Cry 3 sooner).

Surlywombat says:

That’s because we are in the middle at the top, and invented time.

4. revan says:

80€ ! No way am I buying this. Don’t care how good this game is, this price tag is blown overboard.

• Saarlaender39 says:

That way, you save €2,-

• revan says:

They must have fixed it. Half an hour ago it was saying €79.99 for the regular edition.

• Diving Duck says:

Still saying $79.99USD/$119.99USD over here in crazy upside down rip off land, which in itself is not overly uncommon for a few publishers. No excuse…. raaaawr.

5. BobbyDylan says:

You dont have to buy it from steam (Who charged £40). I got it from Amzon for £26.

6. Zemalf says:

This Day-0 DLC madness plaguing the industry has to stop. Cosmetic DLCs are borderline to begin with, but so many is just absolutely stupid – I hate otherwise awesome Crusader Kings II for this too. I’m passing this game on principle.

• Ooops says:

I find it much more tolerable on Crusader Kings II and other paradox titles. If this is what it takes to make fantastic niche games profitable then so be it. I’m not ultra-happy about it, but I can live with it. And let’s not forge that Paradox released many patches for free, that are not just corrections but also gameplay improvements. Many other companies would call such patches ‘DLCs” and be happy to charge you for it.

In Company of Heroes, we’re not talking about a thin niche market, so it’s just greed!

• BobbyDylan says:

RTS’s these days kinda are a Niche market. Hell, anything not an MMO, FPS or Angry birds seem to be niche’s these days.

• soco says:

I also agree in that I think the CoH 2 DLC is more egregious than something like CK2 DLC. I’m not 100% sure on why it strikes me that way as they seem to be very similar in practice, but perhaps it is because of the difference in quality.

The CK2 cosmetic DLC contains portraits and music…things that either were not going to get made otherwise or at least took some artists extra time to create. The CoH 2 DLC cosmetic stuff is a bunch of hex codes that they didn’t put in the base game and want extra cash to open them up.

In either case a whole bunch of DLC means I wait for the collected version that contains everything. Of course by that point it is a year or so later and they have it collected at the price of a new game. So of course I figure to myself I’m not going to pay full price for a year old game and I wait for a sale down the line. It’s a wonder I’ve played anything from this decade.

Could someone explain all those “arrow to the knee” jokes that were going around?

7. Metalhead9806 says:

That’s quite a bit of DLC… Even if it is cosmetic maybe to save face they should have waited a bit to release all of that?
    I dont mind the four commander DLC since its $12 but to day 1 DLC 20+ cosmetics like this is a free 2 play game is bad… i guess ill wait for a price drop.

8. Pani says:

Can we please have this engine make us a new Commandos: Behind enemy lines please?

I want vaulting, I want Truesight, I want ColdTech, I want explodesions! (Mostly, I just want a new commandos game).

• TychoCelchuuu says:

In single player, the Men of War games are basically Commando games half the time depending on the mission you are playing.

• Graerth says:

I’d say MoW games can be abit commando action in multiplayer too, plenty of times i manage to get a guy or 2 past the combat lines so they’ll sneak sneak around to spot stuff until they find something juicy enough to blow cover.

Oh, so you really wanted to buy and park your expensive artillery piece or tank there. Would be a shame if something were to happen to it?

God i love playing games with mumble, whenever people complain that games are “not like they used to be”, fuck that, we got good voice comms. The lamentations of friends over multiplayer. That is best in life.

• Graerth says:

Who owns the IP for Commandos franchise these days anyway?

9. Morgy says:

Well I was having a lot of fun with this in the open beta, but as far as launches go I’m a bit disappointed. The core game itself is great – feels still a lot like CoH but with lots of small improvements. However, there are basic things that are missing such as a normal game lobby and a visible automatch ranking ladder.

I’m confident that Relic will sort these things out, hopefully sooner rather than later, but until then I’ll be keeping my money.