Rezzed: Ragnar Shows Off Dreamfall Chapters

By Alec Meer on June 25th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Is 'neon squalor' an established terms? Cos it should be

If you didn’t make it to Rezzed this weekend just gone, you missed some cracking talks about videogames. You also missed some cracking early footage of upcoming videogames, such as Ragnar Tornquist and Red Thread’s successfully Kickstarterered Longest Journey sequel Dreamfall Chapters. Here’s Ragnar and chums in The Purple Room, fielding questions and showing off cyberpunk future-Prague, the UI and controls and how some of the interactions will work. There’s also a very English robot, which I can only interpret as an aggressive attempt to upstage Sir, You Are Being Hunted.

I rather enjoy the arguing placeholder robot voices around the 23 minute mark. Don’t change ‘em, Red Thread!

I’ve never been the breathless Longest Journey devotee that some on this site are, but this is definitely doing the trick for me. Robot personality-switching! Future-Europe! Cloth physics! Personable Scandinavian developers!

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. povu says:

Looking good. Though all that really matters to me is that I get my conclusion to the story of Dreamfall: The Longest Cliffhanger. Half Life 2 Ep2 has nothing on that.

RedViv says:

I’d be perfectly fine with a really good synthesised voice-over for the robots. Then again, it’s pretty easy to mimic if the actors are good.

lowprices says:

I am quite excited for this. While I hope there’s more puzzling involved than Dreamfall (and certainly hope they keep their promise of not smothering the game in Big Moral Choices), I imagine I’ll be happy with whatever comes. Even when Dreamfalls gameplay didn’t convince (which was quite often, sadly), the story and characters were enough to keep me playing. Still, they’ve promised no combat, so that’s a step in the right direction.

4. somnolentsurfer says:

Watched and enjoyed on Saturday evening, feeling slightly sad that I’d not made it down for the actual event. It’s the kind of thing that must be really hard to show off. A little gameplay footage is never going to do it justice. You can’t show the full storyline in ten minutes, showing actual puzzles would be a spoiler for the game, and demoing a moral choice system is always going to look a little trite – call it the ‘Giving Morrigan a book’ effect.

It’s good to see something, as they’ve been kinda quite recently, and it looks like they’re heading in the right direction and trying some interesting things with the formula. A big announcement of some kind would have been nice though – a new look at a returning character perhaps, or some casting news.

lowprices says:

Well they’ve got [POSSIBLE SPOILERS] back, but I read somewhere else on that there internet that Zoe’s voice actor had emigrated to Australia. Given the reference to moving to Australia in the presentation, I’d guess Zoe’s getting a new voice.

• somnolentsurfer says:

Yeah, I was hoping that was just speaking off the cuff without thinking, but it doesn’t sound promising, does it…? I’m sure they’ll get someone good, but you know…

• Soulstrider says:

A pity, the old Zoe voice was ear sex. Such a great voice with that distinctive adorable accent.

• Bhazor says:

Old Zoe always reminded me of a young Joana Lumley. And I can’t think of a hotter voice.

5. Kinth says:

Is there a reason all the games shown in these rezzed videos seem to have horrendous framerates?
    I watched the Rome II video yesterday and was a little worried when I saw that it seemed the game was struggling despite likely being on some kind of Super PC to show it off. But now I see this game and there seems to be the same problem.

Perhaps its the way they were recorded and not actually the game itself?

6. shadow9d9 says:

I can’t see why people care.. TLJ was amazing, but Dreamfall sucked. The Secret World was also terrible.

• Hauskamies says:

The secret world is an MMO and they’ve already admitted the faults of Dreamfall. I can’t see why people wouldn’t care when all the signs show this being more like TLJ than anything else.

• dE says:

The Secret World being a MMO is precisely its fault. I got it during that sale a couple of days ago and I really enjoy the scenario, the investigations and the crazy characters. But at every corner the usual MMO trappings push themselves into the foreground.

• Hauskamies says:

That’s exactly what I meant. You can’t judge a singleplayer game by the faults of an MMO, a genre that is least suited for classic storytelling.

• Soulstrider says:

I preferred Dreamfall way more than TLJ, found it way more immersing and charming. Also in the overall liked the plot more than TLJ, even with cliffhangers.

• Don Reba says:

Dreamfall was nearly as amazing as TLJ. If only it had an animation of Zoƫ stuffing Crow into her pants, they would be equals.

thesundaybest says:

Lovely presentation, and the gameplay footage was a great look into the game. They said they were working hard to get a lot of the voice actors back…but admitted people had moved on (to other careers. Not died.)

8. Dizzard says:

I think I would probably spare the bots life, probably mainly in the hope that I’ll gain a quirky sidekick….although she might get a bit annoying after a while.

Really liking what I see so far from the game.

9. f69 says:

I’m worried about the framerate.

lowprices says:

Well the game doesn’t seem to be out for a year and a half, so that’s plenty of time to cram more frames into the game. I know very little about game development, but I’d imagine they were more fussed about having a playable slice of content to show at Rezzed then optimising the engine at this early stage. I could be talking nonsense though.

10. Don Reba says:

You know, you can beat Red Thread at their own game and have Sir, You Are Being Hunted complete Dreamfall’s storyline.

11. Crosmando says:

I sincerely hope they do not neglect puzzle design and just focus solely on graphics and story. Adventure game means puzzles, without that it’s an interactive movie.

• Don Reba says:

I hope they have much more fighting this time around and borrow Virtua Fighter’s engine.

12. The Dark One says:

I far preferred the interaction with the robots to the overwrought narration in the trailer. I’m really glad their Kickstarter was successful, but I wonder how many potential pledgers were turned off by that thing.