Horse And Craft: Minecraft Goes Equestrian

By Alec Meer on June 26th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Mojang's Little Brony

My Little Pickaxe, My Little Pickaxe,
What is crafting all about?
My Little Pickaxe, My Little Pickaxe
Crafting is magic!
I used to wonder what crafting could be.
Until Mojang added horses to Minecraft.

Of the ways in which Minecraft could become even more appealing to the kiddiwink demographic, adding horses is right up there behind giving every player their own Harry Styles (to worship or destroy as one sees fit). An early version of version 1.6 of the little game that could (and did, and then a thousandfold) is available now, with the official release date down as July 1st. While horses are the attention-grabbing addition, there’s actually quite a bit of new stuff in here. For instance, donkeys. And mules. And horse armour: the gag that will never die.

Oh damnit, here’s the full list.

Added Horses
Added Donkeys, Mules
Added Horse Armor
Added Leads
Added Carpets
Added Hardened Clay, Stained Clay
Added Block of Coal
Added Name Tags (item)
Added Hay Bales
Texture packs are now “resource packs” that also can hold sound etc
Food meter is now drained when healed by full food meter
Removed Herobrine

It really is about time they got rid of bloody Herobrine, he’s ruined so many of my Minecraft worlds now.

The new version involves a new launcher, so even if you hang on until July 1 you won’t be able to just have your current download update itself. If you want to get going right away, grab the pre-release version of 1.6 for PC, tax avoiding PC and hey let’s all just eat fruit PC here.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. lowprices says:

Noooooooooooo! But also yes. Mostly for the carpets, which will really tie the rooms together in my Volcano Doom Fortress of Doom.

2. jwfiore says:

How much does it cost to unlock the horse armor?

3. Creeping Death says:

Is it weird that minecraft is now playing catch up to the minecraft ripoffs out there?

• Urthman says:

You mean the minecraft ripoffs that were just copying the far better Minecraft mods?

• Bhazor says:

Minecraft? Oh you mean the Dwarf Fortress spin off.

• Bhazor says:

Sigh… Dwarf Fortress in Minecraft would basically be the ultimate PC game. It might very well kill me.

• geldonyetich says:

Funny enough, that was Notch’s original goal with Minecraft: to make a lightweight Dwarf Fortress. No, really.

So, yeah, horses. This patch adds… virtually nothing of Interest for me. You know what would be interesting? If there were actually some goal in Minecraft other than building something or killing the Ender Dragon. Mostly building things… once you’ve gone Redpower2, it’s hard to go back.

I run Millenaire, that’s a good start in that it creates a sense of being part of something larger than yourself, but it’s still missing something… perhaps along the lines of feeling genuine ramifications for your actions? Jack up the testicates, make them central to gameplay, maybe this will cause a Minecraft second wind.

• MadTinkerer says:

A bunch of the non-”content” under-the-hood changes are supposed to be in service of making post-API mods as good as possible. Like the Resource Packs not just replacing Texture Packs, but allowing for complete replacement, partial replacement, and even custom stacks of replacement graphics and sounds on a per server or per map basis, and so on. So if you want to make a custom map which has just the torches from your second favorite resource pack, and all the rest of the graphics from your favorite resource pack, and you add in custom zombie sounds which are all clips from Shawn of the Dead… you’ll soon be able to do that if you want.

Eventually, allegedly, you’ll be able to do really crazy stuff like imbed custom versions of the terrain rules in your maps so that, for example, you can have a map that uses the pre-Halloween-update terrain generation rules and Minecraft will always obey those rules for that map. So with a little fiddling not only will all your oldest maps and earlier-version-dependent seeds work again, but you won’t even need to switch versions to play other maps. A lot of Gargamel fans are going to be happy when that’s implemented. ;)

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

@MadTinkerer: To respond to one part of your comment: My old worlds still function. There was some corruption in the form of corrupted trees (which I all replanted) and changing biomes, but all that is fixable by hand/mods. Then again, it could very well be that other people have non-functional worlds.

• Stuart Walton says:

It doesn’t have to catch-up when it’s perfectly moddable. Well almost. It’s more moddable than most.

In fact, when they finally get round to properly sorting out the mod support, releasing a mod API and moving mod files into the world data and work out syncing mod content and code between server and client, then Minecraft will be complete..

• wengart says:

Would you mind pointing me towards them?

4. vecordae says:

Minecraft is basically Skyrim Legos at this point. Not a bad thing, necessarily.

• RedViv says:

Skyrim is already Skyrim Legos.

• vecordae says:

Certainly, though without the Legos part. Technothunderer the Argonian Sous Chef / Wizarding Master cannot construct enormous mines or vast, complex machinery in Skyrim yet.

• RedViv says:

True, but you can make stuff and build a house even, therefore it is like Minecraft and Legos when applying Bethesda standards.

• Zakski says:

You have all gone on the “list” for using the phrase “Legos”, when I am in charge you will be dragged from your homes and beaten to death with a duvet half full of LEGO blocks and K’nex rods :P

• vecordae says:

Don’t you mean K’nexicles?

Its’ like you don’t knows anything about grammer.

• Koozer says:

Zakski, may I put forward my name for the position of Grand Vizier in your glorious empire.

• gwathdring says:

I’ll be the one under your empire’s capital building with a torch and a lot of barrels.

Because there’s legal distinctions and then there’s language. People speak, for example, English. PR managers speak legalese. Get your trademarking out of my damn language and away from my box of Legos.

• mondomau says:

It’s nothing to do with legalese. That’s the name of the product, as defined by its creators and used by the rest of the world. Stop trying to excuse your ignorant pluralising, damn it.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Lego is an abbreviation for the Danish phrase “leg godt”, meaning “play well”. It cannot be pluralized. Furthermore when referring to Lego in English, it is an uncountable noun. Like water. One plays with one’s Lego bricks, not one’s Legos. In the same way as one can drink multiple glasses of water but not multiple “waters”. You cannot say “I have 5 Legos”.

Try to find the word Legos anywhere on this page http://aboutus.lego.com/en-gb/lego-group/the_lego_history/

Or this page:

The problem is uniquely American. Though not all Americans make the mistake, a significant number do. http://www.legos.com even redirects to Lego’s US website. Somebody influential obviously got it wrong once and everyone copied them. Lego themselves obviously don’t think it’s worth correcting people about on a mass scale.

It’s not really a big deal but it does frustrate and confuse people on both sides because Lego is something everyone grows up with and understands and nobody likes to be told they’ve been calling it the wrong thing all their lives.

Although, if you’ve been calling it “Legos”, that’s actually true :P (especially if you haven’t been capitalizing the L)

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Ouch, my comment is awaiting moderation? :( Was it the links?

• JamesTheNumberless says:

The problem is uniquely American. Though not all Americans make the mistake, a significant number do. http://www.legos.com even redirects to Lego’s US website – although they do not use the term once you’re there. You also won’t see it on the Lego article on Wikipedia Somebody influential in the States (maybe even in Lego’s marketing?) obviously got it wrong once and everyone copied them. Lego themselves obviously don’t think it’s worth correcting people about on a mass scale.

• The Random One says:

God damn prescriptivists ruinin’ ma legos

• ff2 says:

Oblivion Legos now.

5. cpy says:

I still play this, this game is probably going to be in my playtime for foreseeable future.

6. pupsikaso says:

That shot seems like minecraft is starting to look more and more like Lego.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

They really do look just like the Lego horses… I still don’t know how to actually get into playing Minecraft though :( I’ve tried multiple times and yes it’s cool the way the world is generated and I can run around and destroy bits with my pickaxe and I can place new bits but there’s never anything I feel like I actually want to do in the game. Even Lego sets tended to come with instructions on how to build certain things, which was always a great starting point for creativity. It’s probably just me. Maybe I just don’t want to be creative within someone else’s game, when I could be spending that enegry making my own game, or making music… But then again, I’ve spent hours creating things by modding other games – or designing huge worlds in Sim games. Once again, subverting what’s already there. Minecraft is possibly too much of a blank canvas for me.

7. bitbot says:

Time to start a new hardcore single player world! I want a horsie!

8. level12boss says:

God bless Minecraft, I’ll play it in fits and starts forever. But do bring on the CubeWorld and the Starbound. I’m really tired of Minecraft’s rickety code base, crappy mod management, and slow pace of innovation.

9. moms says:

Yea!! Now I can have a proper race track.
    I mean, pigs and dogs were alright for novelty purposes but I couldn’t get anybody to bet on em.. let alone, jockey em.

10. Clavus says:

I’m giving up hope that we’ll ever see proper mod support for Minecraft. I’d be so much nicer if the vanilla Minecraft had actually stayed just that, vanilla, and let easy-to-install mods (as in, automatic download upon joining a server) take it into different directions.

• KDR_11k says:

Well, what is the limit of vanilla?

Also having features in core MC means that mods have more shared content to work with and more code to base their own implementations on. Things added in one mod rarely work 100% with another mod (unless the other mod is specifically designed to interface with it) but vanilla content almost always works with all mods. If pistons weren’t in vanilla how many different piston implementations would there be in a large modpack and how many mod blocks would cause problems when moved by pistons? Often vanilla forms the interface between disparate mods, e.g. practically all tech components can interact with redstone in some form even when their power and transport systems are otherwise incompatible.

• realitysconcierge says:

Your comment makes me wonder how many features you could take away from the vanilla game and still consider it minecraft?

• Koozer says:

I agree with this man. They should’ve focused on better code, a proper API and basic improvements such as water that works like bloody water, instead of adding all this weird RPG stuff that is well within the scope of modders.

• MadTinkerer says:

“easy-to-install mods (as in, automatic download upon joining a server)”

That’s part of the point of the Resource Packs.

“They should’ve focused on better code, a proper API and basic improvements such as water that works like bloody water”

As for water “working like water” they made a conscious choice to leave it like it was, more or less. Minecraft had already hit the “singularity” at that time and changing water would have changed the way too many maps already used water.

As for “better code” that is exactly what they’ve already done. If you’d paid attention to community news, part of the reason why the API is so late is the fact that Jens keeps on refactoring the engine in-between bugfixes and adding new blocks.

As for the proper API, they’ve never stopped work on it, and the Resource Packs are a big step towards the game having the structures (in a programming sense) Jens wants in order to facilitate the API. Because once the API is implemented they don’t want to keep breaking everyone’s mods every update: they want all the mods made with the API to “just work” for all future versions. (Which is something that’s never even been attempted before, BTW. Even Valve breaks old Source mods occasionally.) This means that once the API is out some parts of the game will be essentially untouchable, so Jens wants those parts perfect to avoid the need to break everyone’s mods to fix bugs.

That’s why it seems like it’s all going so slow. In the meantime, there’s lots of existing mod packs, and some crazy vanilla maps if you know where to look. And as someone else pointed out: Feed The Beast. Look it up. (Though I use Tekkit myself.)

11. Barberetti says:

“Added Block of Coal”

Fucking finally!

12. Bhazor says:

That intro does not synch with the theme music at all. Filthy casual, I bet you don’t even friendship.

• Tacroy says:

Bro do u even harmony bro

• Kitsunin says:

My Little Pickaxe, My Little Pickaxe.
      (Aa-aa-aa-aah)
      My Little Pickaxe,
      I used to wonder what crafting could be.
      Until Mojang added horse to Minecraft.
      Big adventure
      Tons of fun,
      A beautiful hearth
      Faithful and strong,
      Sharing diamonds
      It’s an easy feat,
      And horses make it all complete!
      You have My Little Pickaxe,
      Do you know you’re all my very best Steves?

13. nimzy says:

Now if only I could hitch a cart or a plow to said horse… Welp, that’s what mods are for.

14. darkChozo says:

Alternatively, it takes the Feudal Age and 75 Food + 75 Wood.

15. vivlo says:

so…it makes such a long time i didn’t play Minecraft again, i thought i would ask how was the official mod API that surely would be out by now, then i read the comments.

16. 7rigger says:

I only just read the Herobrine creepypasta today, and there’s an update that directly references it on the same day? That’s actually creepier than the story was!

17. gwathdring says:

Hurray for pointless scarcity! Horse Saddles were craftable at one point during the snapshots … but then when they were merged with Pig Saddles to simplify things the crafting recipe was removed.

The devs have said over Twitter (according to the Wiki) that they wanted to keep saddles rare in part because they liked the idea of having semi-useful dungeon loot and in part becasue they just thought saddles should be rare.

So I hope you like dungeons. To repeat something I said elsewhere:

“Some while ago, Enchantment books started popping up in dungeons. That was a great decision. Potions and Enchantments follow a fiddly, awkward, involved system that delivers exceptionally useful advantages to players who invest in it. Getting lucky with dungeon loot allows players to experience the fruits of this fiddly, awkward, and involved system every so often even if they don’t find the process fulfilling. That was smart. Pig saddles were great while riding pigs uselessly was the only thing you could do with them. But now … not having craftable saddles is just silly.

But Minecraft, you see, is a game all about challenge. And doing things the way the designer intends you to do them not the way you wa—wait a second.”

18. DrZhark says:

Those are my horses y’know

19. Whisperduke says:

Feed The Beast Ultimate. If you’ve not done 200+ hours of this then go sit down and let the adults talk.

20. Octuplex says:

I personally think that the ability to add custom sounds to the vanilla game is the biggest addition. With people’s recent discoveries in mapmaking combined with the experience that some mapmakers have, there’s nothing stopping anyone from making a full narrative experience. You can add your own background music, add voices for NPCs, and even have a narrator, bastion-style.

the best example of this so far:

Comment on this story