Rallying Cry: Codies Going Back to McRae Roots?

By Alec Meer on June 26th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

I'm not very good with racing games, but I think that's a car?

UPDATE: Oh dear, turns out to be some mobile thing. BETRAYAL.

The DIRT and GRID games have all been jolly good, accessible fun, but I know a certain contingent of Metal Box Moving At High Speed fans have long rued Codemasters’ retreat from traditional rally games – specifically the once-ubiquitous Colin McRae Rally series. Looks as though mud’n'hatchback fans might be due to have all their Christmases come at once, as the CEO of Codemasters has announced plans to visit all their houses, tie them to a kitchen chair and force-feed them 85 whole turkeys, 340 roast potatoes and 21 pints of gravy each. After that, he might even confirm that there will indeed be a new McRae Rally game, as today’s viral teasing has heavily implied.

It all stemmed from Codies’ communications boss Rich Eddy tweeting about an imminent reveal, shortly followed by an image of the late McRae’s car, accompanied by a rather familiar colour scheme and typography.

Yes, Tweet-sleuths didn’t take long to determine that the new picture was highly remiscent of the box art for PC and PS1 fave Colin McRae Rally 2.0, which might imply that we’re in for an ‘HD’ remake rather than a brand new game.

In any case, the full reveal will apparently be tomorrow, so I’ve just played right into marketing hands once again, haven’t I? Codiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiies! (Shakes fist).

, , , .

1. Creeping Death says:

Hopes were raised and dashed extremely quickly on this one.

amateurviking says:

Down with this sort of thing!

3. Honigsenf says:

oh noo, just a mobile game ??

Colin McRae Rally appears on iTunes, based on classic racer

4. Chizu says:

Bleh, I really want the Dirt games focus to get back to actual Rallying with proper stages and stuff. I don’t care for all the gymkhana and rallycross stuff. Trailblazer can stay.

Faldrath says:

Given that Dirt 3 was so much worse than Dirt 2, and Grid 2 so much worse than Grid, I don’t have much hope in Codemasters anymore. If they decide to kill off modding in F1 2013 like they did in Grid 2, it will be the final straw.

• Eddard_Stark says:

Couldn’t agree more. It’s been a downhill ride for a while now.

• mikmanner says:

I thought Dirt 3 was much better than 2 – 2 had too much focus on non-rally stuff for my tastes, yeah 3 had that stupid Gymkhana stuff but it wasn’t as intrusive as the ‘extra’ stuff in 2. Also 3 didn’t have that silly first person menu nonsense.

I had most fun with Dirt 1 though so yeah there is an element of diminishing returns.

6. ZIGS says:

Looks like hyping up an upcoming reveal and then delivering a mobile game is the new trend to piss off fans. I’m expecting Monolith to announce No One Lives Forever 3 for iPhone anytime now

lowprices says:

Darn. Would’ve liked a shiny new version of one of the McRae games, and I’ve sworn off mobile racers after Real Racing 3: Microtransaction Fever.

8. Prolar Bear says:

Crap, why can’t we have a decent racing game on PC? GRID 2 is fun, but the middle ground between arcade and sim (covered by Forza and GT on consoles) is extremely empty.

9. Moni says:

Is there a name for that situation where you see the attractive back of a long-haired girl and as you walk towards her she turns around and it turns out she’s just a man with a poor choice of coiffure?

Hardlylikely says:

Disappointing news. On the bright side, this has me re-downloading WRC 3. Not a bad rally game, albeit not having played one for a few years. The feel wasn’t perfect, still very playable but not on the sweet spot. Some more time playing could make that issue fade away. It leans more to the arcade than sim style handling, and it could use more variety in stages. Might do for some of you missing the Mcrae games.

While I’m looking back I loved Rally Trophy, does anyone still play that? People don’t seem to mention it much in driving game threads. I know it wasn’t amazingly true to life, but it was fun and challenging. It even had a little modding scene for a while there. Pretty good looking for it’s time too.

• Jason Moyer says:

I loved Rally Trophy. Around 2000 we had Rally Championship 2000 (which is still the only proper rally sim ever, as bad as the handling was), Rally Trophy, and Michelin Rally Masters, all of which were really really good (and still make me wonder why people bothered with the McRae Rally games back then). Then we had Richard Burns Rally, which was great despite the crappy stages, and there really hasn’t been anything worthwhile since then. DiRT 1 was good with the focus on real racing (rally, UK rallycross, pikes peak hillclimb, CORR stadium racing), but the handling in Codies games was still barely playable garbage then and the last time I reinstalled it I couldn’t force myself to keep playing.

11. riverman says:

I can’t wrap my head around the fact that Richard Burns Rally has been the only rally game I’ve played with realistic physics. I likewise can’t wrap my head around the fact that people enjoy playing rally games with absurd arcady physics.

is there a subgenre of rally games I’ve missed this past decade that that were built by people who’ve actually, you know, driven a car before?

12. greenbananas says:

On a tangent, what the hell are the Richard Burns Rally people doing NOT kickstarting a Richard Burns Rally sequel? But with an arcade mode for us plebs, please, just not at the expense of all the setup tinkery goodness the hardcore peeps like.

• Screamer says:

Richard Burns Rally had more hardcore physics than reality. Couldn’t even drive in a straight line in that game. :D

13. Artificial says:

Codemasters racing games are just way too accessible and arcadey. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t to play some sort of super sim where you have to spend ages tuning the car right down to the shape of the dust caps.
    But with both the latest Dirt games as well as Grid 2, there’s just so many assists, it just takes almost all of the fun out of racing. It feels like there’s zero challenge at all. Plus it makes kids think racing is all about drifting around a corner as fast as you can when it’s really not about that at all.

14. SominiTheCommenter says:

CMR2 is still one of the best rally games. The most amazing thing is that plays great only with the keyboard.

• neolith says:

My thoughts exactly.

And how come CMR2.0 is not on GOG yet?

• terry says:

Because Codies are fiercely protective of their old IP. The same reason you can’t download ANY of their 8-bit games legitimately, to this day.