Feast Your Eyes On The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Gallery

By Craig Pearson on June 27th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Odds bodkins! The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is pretty and make no mistake (the last time screenshots came out they were pretty enough to make Jim swear, but I told my mum I was on RPS this week so I’m not allowed to). It’s blooming pretty as a picture, and my codlings are tingling. They’d better festinate this game out ASAP, I don’t want to be sat here rod-jockeying while I’m waiting for it to arrive. Say hello to my mum, everyone!

I doubt she made it this far down. Bloody hell! This is incredibly pretty. I spend so much time staring at games that are either indies or set in shadow I sometimes forget the joy in seeing the PCs raw power being used to make things their prettiest. The snarling wolves surrounding Jaimie Lannister Geralt is my favourite screenshot in a long time: it looks like every individual blade of grass has been hand-placed, and every hair on the wolf pelts tweaked to perfection. And Geralt’s bum looks banging. He must squat. Join me in admiring it.

I’ve uploaded them in their megasizes, so feel free to middle-mouse click them to open in a new tab. That way you can admire without the risk of clicking it away.

, , .

1. Saarlaender39 says:

Hello, Craig’s Mum!

2. PrinceofBees says:

It’s so purty!

3. Crosmando says:

Camera is too zoomed in, FOV is too low.

Already the Xbone is ruining games, and it isn’t even out yet.

• toni says:

the game is developed INDEPENDENTLY for all 3 platforms. No ports. Same FOV as in TW2 that was developed for PC first. I don’t get the reasoning behind your post aside from bashing Xbox and making it responsible for all dev decisions you do not happen to like

• Apocalypse says:

TW2 PC first my ass.

You do not develop a PC game first and than don´t deliver a working m/kb input interface. You do not limit your fov to a level that is optimal for playing on a tv if you develop for PC first.
        And you do not give the game mouse acceleration which can not be turned off, if you develop with PC in mind.

You do not remove the use of your keyboard to chose dialog options if you are developing for pc.

The Witcher was a PC game. The Witcher 2 is console game. Don´t let you fool from the release dates, the engine was developed with consoles and controllers in mind.

Sorry about the rant, but I managed to finally finish that amazing Witcher 1 and so far Witcher 2 has been the biggest disappointment since Bioshock to me. The controls are a console disaster, just like Bioshock.

• Upper Class Twit says:

Dude, the XBOX port came out slightly less than a year later. Whatever your qualms with the UI and FOV in that game, (that don’t seem to be shared by many of the people who played it), the game was definitely developed “PC first”. And of course it works better with controllers. Third person brawler types generally tend to, regardless of platform.

Hidden_7 says:

Personally I don’t understand the mouse+kb complaints at all. It all seems like a very smooth, reasonable system to me. Never once do I feel like it was designed with a controller particularly in mind. Certainly there are elements that seem like they are designed to not be controller hostile, but in doing so it doesn’t feel at all like the mouse+kb has lost out. Even things like the way the lock-on targeting works seem like it was designed specifically with a mouse in mind.

Personally I prefer both the UI and combat in Witcher 2 to Witcher 1. The UI because I actually feel empowered to use the various witcher tricks, rather than in the first one where they felt too complicated to bother dealing with. The combat because it’s actually interesting and engaging. Considering how you’re playing a single character with a fairly defined fighting style, the system of the Witcher 1 felt rather out of place, with its sort-of-but-not-really party management w/ pause style that ultimately felt pretty bleh.

In any case, yeah it seems like stretching to paranoia when the claim is that it was developed for console first when the console port was a year later.

• Apocalypse says:

I am aware of the differences in release. And still the game feels like a console port, because the engine is done in typical console game way. All those compromise you see from console ports, all those sins like low fov (hello motion sickness), input acceleration (needed for controllers), no keyboard shortcuts in dialog options, and much more is there. Did CDPR forgot how to do all this stuff right or did they make compromised when writing the engine, so it can be easily ported to xbox?

Funny part about that is, no the game does not play better with a controller, even with all those controller menus. The ability to access everything on a single button instead of using the menu scrolling means that mouse and keyboard is still the better interface for witcher 2. It just that they screwed up to use the mouse input right.

• revan says:

This is basically why I haven’t finished The Witcher 2 yet, although I have been trying since it came out. I’m currently wrestling with gamepad oriented controls, as it happens. Actually I’ve surrendered and plugged Xbox 360 controller to play it. Contrast that with the original The Witcher, which I’ve finished three times (and I almost never replay games).

While I love The Witcher 2 (story, locations, characters, not combat), there is no denying it that the game, control and inventory wise was designed with the clear intention of being ported to consoles. I don’t begrudge that fact to CDP Red, but they should have really seen to it that the game is PC friendly in those areas. Because, no matter how much we hate to admit it, it is not.

• jisdbnueg says:

ETA: It looks like the kind of desaturation you get when editing in Adobe RGB color space, and forgetting to convert to SRGB before posting on the Web.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785

• suibhne says:

I just don’t get this. I played the PC version right at release and I never found it feeling “consolized” or whatever, despite my fondness of making that accusation against games. And I thought the mouse/keyboard controls worked quite splendidly, with only a few exceptions.

• Apocalypse says:

May I ask you how good your mouse is, suibhne? If I turn my mouse down to about 900 dpi, the mouse acceleration starts to be less annoying, but than I have a mouse that is more than 5 times less precise as I am used to. Which is for me simply no fun at all, because you feel the lack of precision if you are used to 5600 dpi.

Similar problem with Bioshock. It is simply unplayable because of the mouse acceleration which is required to play the mini-games. You end up with either playable FPS without mini-games, or playable mini-games and a unplayable FPS part.

@jisdbnueg
            Maybe, but I doubt it.
            Over saturation is a typical trick for console graphics to hide low geometry details. Compare the unreal engine 4 elemental tech demo on pc with the ps4 one. Epic change to color management to hide a lot of missing details.

4. InternetBatman says:

I wonder if the combat will follow the Witcher 2, or the mod they just released. I could skip another game with Witcher 2 combat.

Cinek says:

As long as it stays away from Witcher 1 combat model – I’m happy.

• Mr. Mister says:

I quite liked TW1′s FCR combat actually. It had rythm.

• Apocalypse says:

I would rather have tw1 combat than that bullshit they implemented in tw2.

Cinek says:

BS.
          W1 combat was like a one long boring QTE sequence without any tactical thinking or actual action. It should be shown in a schools as an example on how-not-to-do combat in a games.
          W2 combat at least got some subtleties and, after they patched the game, was actually fun and dynamic in some moments (plus: it got an option to get rid of crazy amount of QTEs). Yes, perhaps it was optimized for controllers, I never tried it with them, but on M&K it worked well.

• Apocalypse says:

The qte element got at least a good rhythm and the combat system forced you anyway to constantly change your combat stance and weapons, keep track of potions, energy management for your witcher signs. It was defiantly more than just the qte.

The new system feels more like button smashing and far less tactical. The new timers on potions, oils and whetstones do not help either.

Was the tw1 combat really good? No, but the system had a lot of potential which just needed more refinement. I still prefer it to the tw2 combat.

colossalstrikepackage says:

I can’t imagine picking up any witcher game based on combat alone. I go to Batman for those urges. Witcher to me is all about the choices. And making my way through unnecessary combat ASAP on easy mode.

5. Viroso says:

He’s like Heavy with Miranda’s ass.

6. Fenix says:

Hot damn, this looks so good. But just looking at it I can feel how much pain running the game with such graphical settings is going to impart on the poor PC.

• Rich says:

Yeah, my PC is new but I doubt it’ll be able to render anything half as nice.

tikey says:

I love the second screenshot. The one with the guy on fire just walking around.

• Orija says:

Yea, that’s why so many people choose suicide by burning themselves. It’s relatively painless after the first few moments when the fire is eating through your skin and nerve endings.

8. John Mirra says:

Oh man, look at all that sharpening.

Rikard Peterson says:

Indeed.

Zooming it out a bit so my browser blurs the image, it’s starting to look decent (or at least doesn’t hurt the eyes as much), but I still fail to see the prettiness of the screenshots.

• Zenicetus says:

That does look overly sharpened, compared to the in-game footage from the most recent trailers. Maybe someone just got a little nuts with the sharpen filter when re-sizing screen shots?

I like the relatively low level of bloom effect, compared to the last game. There was a period recently where most AAA games went bloom-happy. Maybe these new games aimed at the next console gen are getting away from that.

• BurningPet says:

Aye. kinda makes those screenshots look ridiculous

9. Jimbo says:

Wolves really are assholes aren’t they?

Your mum says ‘hi’ by the way. Lovely lady.

• Mr. Mister says:

I wouldn’t think it’s better to fight those with the silver blade. I mean, considering they’re not really magic creatures, one would think that their low sensitivity to silver is output by steels’ outright bigger damage.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Wolves are the bestest, and don’t you forget.
      Um, anyway, it’s nice to see a game in which wolves look (kinda) like animals, and not monsters. But then he is using the silver sword…

You know, does it really make sense for him to carry two swords? Wouldn’t a silver sword do for normal fights, too?

Also, what makes one animal “magic”, and another not? Is this discussed in the books? I have questions!

Hidden_7 says:

I think the idea is that silver just isn’t a very good metal for making a sword out of. It’ll do against monsters because it’s necessary, but when not needed better to stick to good ole’ reliable steel.

That and it’s thematically interesting, and a interesting enough mechanic.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess silver would also be more expensive to repair/replace, so better to use something else unless you have to. But also yeah, it’s a game/book.

I’m still curious as to what determines which creatures are “magic” in the Witcher universe. Anyone know?

• lordcooper says:

According to the wiki: “The witcher’s silver blade actually has a steel core which is plated with a thick layer of silver which is lethal to magical beasts. This weapon was made specifically for slaying monsters born of magic, those which can not be hurt with common steel weapons.”

I know that at least the first game has quite in depth information on the origins of the different types of monster. Maybe those are werewolves, or were magically summoned/altered by someone?

• Niko says:

There’s a lot more monsters mentioned in the books than those that Geralt really fights, especially considering that he does very little monster hunting in the novels, and there’s no exact list of creatures susceptible to silver, I think. Although silver is apparently good against a lot of monsters like undead and werewolves (Geralt’s gloves studded with silver are mentioned a few times).

• LennyLeonardo says:

Hmm. I guess I’m intrigued by monsters and magical beings, and I’m curious about how, in a world in which they are literally real, you would differentiate them from, say, rabbits or barn owls. I mean, we know the difference because we know what’s real and what’s not, but in Geralt’s world, what’s the difference between a Kayran and a giant squid?

• Niko says:

Missed the button a bit, my reply is below.

• Jimbo says:

Stab it with a regular sword and see if it does anything?

• Niko says:

Kayran is a product of experiment and/or rare mutation. In one of the novels there’s an encounter with a river creature that has grown extremely large because of the urban pollution. Those might be “natural” creatures that are considered monsters only because of how dangerous they are to humans, and they aren’t necessarily exceptionally susceptible to silver.

On the other hand, there are creatures that are a product of the Conjunction of the Spheres, which can’t reproduce and are quite rare, like some giant bug that Geralt scares away by loud noise. The said Conjunction is also responsible for creatures like ghouls and vampires, apparently.

• Apocalypse says:

The silver swords are just silver coated, the base is still a steel sword. They normally still would wear really fast, but I guess this can be explained by some alchemy that protects the coating from wearing down to fast.

• nickclarkson says:

Welsummers if I’m not mistaken. I’ll get my coat.

• Zekiel says:

I love this too. It’s this kind of detail that makes a world come alive. Here’s hoping for a fully-integrating chicken-skinning-and-cooking simulator.

10. Phantom_Renegade says:

If the first is ingame, then that is amazing. As for the rest, I’m not seeing a big improvement over W2. Of course that game looked amazing, so it’s still great, but what with the new engine and all, and everybody gushing over the pretty, I was expecting a bit more.

11. toni says:

the fire in the 2nd screenshot is a clear indication of the advances in the Redengine3.
    also here is a good summary of all the things promised by CDPR at E3:

12. UpsilonCrux says:

Middle-clicking opens a new tab???!!!

That’s a revelation to me.

I feel old.

Thanks

• Mr. Mister says:

Middle-clicking a tab closes it too. No need to hunt down the small x anymore!

• realitysconcierge says:

I feel crippled if I’m on a mouse without a middle button :(

• zdeno84 says:

doesn’t work with trackpoint keyboard, poor driver quality I suppose. almost wanted to shout ‘eureka’ until just another disappointment..

13. Mr. Mister says:

I’ll get it when there are enough system overhaul mods on the Nexus. Probably 0,6-1,3 years after release.

14. Revolving Ocelot says:

My Radeon HD4850 is making a sad face.

• Oconnell says:

Man, that was a good card though. I had a HD4850 that died less than a year a go, and that pretty stood very well with the pass of time.

RedViv says:

Only switched mine out last year as well. Generally once I can get at least double the performance at ~150 quid or less.
        Which also meant that I could finally max out the game that came before this one! Hooray, I think.

15. Wedge says:

I guess it’s probably setting authentic, but man is that colour palette bumming me out. So desaturated, though I guess I can fix that in post if I really want to.

• Zenicetus says:

Either they’re taking a new direction with the graphics, or something is off with those screenshots. I’d suspect the latter, until further evidence. It doesn’t match the recent trailers showing in-game footage, which doesn’t look this sharpened and desaturated.

• KhanIHelpYou says:

I threw together a quick comparison of the screenshots to the trailer. Comparison Here
        trailer on the left, screenshots on the right. The sharpening on the screenshots is deffinatly pretty bad. It has been in all the promotional shots since the first ones IIRC.

I think its safe to say both of them have had some post work, colour grading and whatnot. If they bugger it up in the game proper then maybe someone will make one of those post process injectors for it so we can tweek the saturation and vibrancy for our selfs.

16. jonhoward says:

I just got my closed beta key for The Witcher 3.
    Thank you so much http://witcher3beta.blogspot.com/

• Apocalypse says:

Looks as legit as the mail out of Nigeria I got yesterday. I am lost prince they told me.

17. Michael Fogg says:

Am I the only one bothered by how similar to Skyrim this looks? C’mon, the Witcher series’ strongest asset is the uniqueness of the world. Here it looks just visually recycled… the misty mountains, the harpies, the giants before… and I feel this is deliberate.

• Brun says:

It’s set in a region of the Witcher world that is climatically similar to Skyrim, there were bound to be similarities.

• Michael Fogg says:

Yeah, I get this, but still… they could have set it in a part of the Witcherverse which is a tropical island… or something