More Rogue To Like: Teleglitch: Die More

By Craig Pearson on June 27th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

They look so happy.
Jim is more pleased than usual. (I totally am! – Jim) Teleglitch, the top-down rogue-like shooter that he personally championed, has been picked up by Paradox. Not only that, but the harsh sci-fi horror game will be expanded upon in the Die More edition, which is a phrase I find rather sinister. Surely you can only die the one time? The rest is basically corpse mutilation. Anyway, the game that Jim loved, and that no-one on RPS else bothered with, will be out in the summer as a free expansion for current owners, and a full game for the rest of us. Trailer below.

I’m sorry, can anyone hear a sort of grinding noise? There’s also a sort of low growl and hissing as well? Where is it coming from? I checked my flour mill, my pitbull cage, and my balloon deflating room, and there’s nothing untoward going down in those places. Just let me check Adam’s hole and see if he knows… oh it’s you, Adam. What’s the matter? Why are you pulling that face? You say you posted twice about Teleglitch before that Rossignol? What an odd thing to get angry about. You say you’re not coming out of the hole until I acknowledge it? Okay, just put the shank down: Adam is great and lives in the tidiest hole I’ve ever seen and he totally wrote about Teleglitch first. Can I get back to the story?*

Honestly, the internal politics of full-time RPS writers. They’re such divas. Anyway, this new edition will come with five extra levels, better AI, lorier lore, and more items and weapons. Here is a brief trailer to get you all a flutter.

This is rather last minute, but tonight at 8 p.m. CEST / 7 p.m. BST / 11 a.m. PDT, there will be a live stream of the game on Paradox’s Twitch TV channel. That might be fun.

*This is basically what happened in the RPS forbidden chatroom of mystery, though I have taken some creative license with it. For example, Adam’s house is more of a ditch than a hole.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. LaunchJC says:

Wonderful news!! Think I’ll wait for the update before having another stab at it though. It’s quite an unsettling game.

2. Ketzerei says:

I remembering being super intrigued by the universally positive opinions of this game I read, but when I tried it I got awful motion sickness. I never get motion sickness from video games! Did anyone else have this problem and perhaps even find a solution? The part of it that I played seemed pretty neat, and I’d love to be able to play more!

• dE says:

Me, but I frequently get Motion Sickness from games. I was told you can now deactivate the rotation of the viewport, which might fix that issue. Did you try that? (which reminds me, I need to have another look at the Demo).

• TailSwallower says:

I get motion sickness from games a lot too, so I didn’t even bother trying Teleglitch before I switched off View Rotate and View Zoom in the Options menu.

Haven’t had any issues at all since then, so give that a shot.

But yeah, fantastic game, and great news about an expansion. I’m guessing this probably means Steam release too?

3. Okami says:

Yay, five extra levels!

I hope they all come before the fourth level, since I never managed to get much further than the third….

• greenbananas says:

Would that I had as little skill as you. I made it to the fifth. And never slept again.

• lhzr says:

but if all the new levels are before the fourth and you haven’t passed the third.. hmm

also yeah, i didn’t manage to pass the 3rd either, until i started backing up the saves. although just at the start of a new level (or the end of the previous one, if i wanted to get a different level each time i died).

• Kobest says:

I know what you mean.

I really, really like this game, because it does get right many things, but most importantly, it does make you feel that 1. you are extremely vulnerable and 2. you are against overwhelming odds.

However, God damn it, I cannot get through level 4. I finished the third but those swarming enemies always come at the wrong moment. By that time I meet them, I am on low ammo and health, and once the swarm goes out, it’s pretty much over. (I tried the cangun, that was effective, but only had 2 shots…)

4. FFabian says:

Is there still a demo version? Clicking on the demo link in one of the old RPS articles got me some 404.

5. Leprikhan says:

I’m very happy to hear it- I loved teleglitch, but much as I wanted to play through again it became a little boring once there was no novelty left (playing through for the first time with no knowledge of what could be used for what or when you would stop finding new gear was incredibly engrossing).

A ‘hardcore’ mode or something might also be nice, the game became a little bit too easy and predictable once you know what does what.

6. Turkey says:

Ugh. The header made it look like a 2.5D Doom tribute shooter with rogue-lite elements.

7. Lambchops says:

I like it in theory but I’m too rubbish at it in practice to fully enjoy it and unlike some other titles of its ilk I don’t find myself getting any better at it.

8. amateurviking says:

Rather nice of them to give the updated version for free to anyone who’s already bought it. The game is such that I would have been happy to buy it a second time. At least I know what I shall be getting my brother for his birthday now.

9. Wedge says:

Oh goody, I take it this means it will be available over the likes of Steam and GoG now then? And with new contents? Hurrah.

10. Dominic White says:

Teleglitch is proof positive that being equipped with two different kinds of rocket launcher + minigun and being terrified of what’s around the next corner are not mutually exclusive properties. You just need to make whatever is round that next corner big and scary enough to make those weapons feel woefully insufficient.

A giant screeching serpent-bot with twin miniguns and a lashing, deadly tail is a good start.

11. SkittleDiddler says:

Since this is Paradox we’re discussing here, shouldn’t it be “Teleglitch: DLC More Edition”?

12. Stinkfinger75 says:

Looks to be a twin stick shooter mechanic, can anyone confirm controller support?

• Reefpirate says:

I don’t know if they’re going to implement something like that with this new expansion, but there’s no controller support for the game now. I’m not sure if it would work that well because aiming is precise with the mouse and not really the ‘twin stick’ variety.

13. Radiant says:

I really liked this game.
    Although after while you started to understand the enemies and their weaknesses then you could blow through the game pretty comprehensively.
    It mostly became a question of time you have as a player to how far you got into the game as you could easily lose 40 minutes to an hour in this wonderful game.

14. Narbotic says:

Fills me w happy to hear there’ll be more of this. It stands as my current top pick of all time.
    Particularly inspiring from a game designer perspective – the restrained color palette & abrupt sound effects … so much good.

Comment on this story