Stalk This Way: Survarium Alpha

By Adam Smith on June 27th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

The first players invited to Survarium’s alpha have been playing for a while now but a tweet from the team suggests that they are almost ready to open the gateway to their apocalyptic doomscapes, in which it is currently possible to engage in a team-based PVP mode. If you’d like to shoot people in the remnants of civilisation, or would just like to see how much like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. this sort of thing can possibly be, this is the place to enter your details. The experience should certainly be more like a trip to the Zone than it was previously as recent updates have added those lovely reality-distoting, gut-bursting anomalies. Hurrah.

The alpha diaries currently contain three entries, detailing what has been added since the first invites were sent out. This is the best part:

With the upcoming update we will add a few more changes to the zone-based damage system, which will allow the players to enjoy themselves a lot more. (Currently it’s easy to kill a guy, rather than injure his arm).

I certainly enjoy myself a lot more if I don’t kill people by mistake when I’m simply trying to have an arm wrestle.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. LennyLeonardo says:

Zone-based damage system? I’m confused.

• fitzroy_doll says:

Hit zone (arms, legs, head, body), not Zone zone.

• Bork Titflopsen says:

Why not zone zone though? I think that if I shoot from one zone into another and hit someone I should be rewarded for that!

• fitzroy_doll says:

Well, certainly if you can zone Zone in the Zone, then Zone zone zone should also be allowed, while in the Zone.

• BobbyFizz says:

Which begs the question is that zone body damage restricted to the zone your in or do you get the fabled zone Zone zone damage plus whatever zone your in extra damage? I suppose it depends on the zone or the Zone.

edit: of course that depends if there is a function to be in the zone in which case we’re all fucked.

Cinek says:

basically – they added damage system known from a games as old as the original Counter Strike (1999) and earlier.

2. Revolving Ocelot says:

No beta yet? I said come in, don’t stand there over in Alpha.

3. tehsorrow says:

I suppose this is better than nothing but I really do lament the death of the singleplayer Stalker games.

• BobbyDylan says:

Agreed. Metro LL really had me wanting an Open World style game.

• Don Reba says:

4A’s next game is going to be an open world, by the way. Except, they got tired of the post-apocalyptic during development of first STALKER and then Metro, so the next game will be in space.

• phelix says:

The giga-overhaul Misery 2.0 for Call of Pripyat is well on its way. Seriously, the amount of stuff that mod will add is mind-boggling.

• F3ck says:

I wasn’t going to whine, but since it was brought up…

I’m following this game in the hopes that perhaps they simply forgot to mention there’s a SP campaign.

I’ve played through the stalker series so many times now, and while M:LL is as fantastic as rails get I’m jonesing for a post-apocalyptic sandbox…sans the playmates.

…anywho, people with friends and social proclivities need their games too, I suppose.

4. Monkeh says:

Well here’s hoping for a key!

5. pupsikaso says:

I always wished that anomalies in STALKER were less visible sphere/blobs and more invisible effects on the environment around them.

For example you’re walking around some ruins and you start to notice your character is slowing down, moving like in molases, and you try to jump and he barely gets off the ground. Well now you know you’re near a gravity anomaly and you have to find it.
    Or maybe heat would be pretty visible of course due to the heat distortion you would see in the air.

• fitzroy_doll says:

In some mods that’s exactly how it works – and some mods even moved the anomalies around after each blowout, so you could never be sure where the next mincer would be…

6. Synesthesia says:

Anyone know how the pvp and social aspects of this game work? Is it a free for all a la dayz? Is it another glorified deathmatch. I’d love to not shoot everybody and explore for a while, for a change.

7. Stevostin says:

Feedback from the testers & vids on youtube are aweful. Let’s hope they’ve made huge progress!