Julian Gollop’s Chaos Reborn Summons A Screenshot

By Alec Meer on June 28th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

It is, however, only a screenshot of placeholder art for the X-COM co-creator’s remake of wizard wars classic Chaos, but it is nonetheless a fine thing to see this new vision of the landmark Speccy game taking shape.

You should take a look at the full res version over on Julian Gollop’s site, not least because without my cropping it shows a little more of how the mechanics will work. Specifically, “The Spider is selected, and his possible actions are clearly highlighted by the interface. The orange circles indicate spaces that it can move to and still do combat. The green circles show spaces that can be moved to, but without combat. The red circles highlight possible enemy targets, with the percentage chance of killing that target displayed.”

Gollop also claims that he now has a working build of the game. “In the last two months my expanded team of programmers have been busy making a playable prototype of the game, and I am proud to announce that Chaos Reborn is born! One thing we decided to do is not worry about graphics and animation, but focus on game play – so everything in this prototype is placeholder only (although I think Felix did rather too good a job on the placeholder graphics!). Testing is underway and a few bugs are being fixed.”

Six-person multiplayer is even up and running apparently, featuring random spell selection and five different maps. He’s also posted the full list of spells, but I think I’d be a bit of a turd to just paste the whole lot in here, so go have a read.

As for the placeholder art, I kinda like it. Obviously it needs a bit of tarting up, but it evokes the hyper-coloured weirdness of the original well, without disrupting things with too much focus on shallow whizzbang.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Doghaus says:

Chaos is so much fun! This looks really great. I also really like this placeholder art, it’s very striking – I hope they go for a similar style. I love that little lion.

HermitUK says:

It’s got a great papercraft vibe to it. For placeholder art it really is rather lovely.

Malibu Stacey says:

Looks very Kings Bounty-esque. This is a good thing.

lowprices says:

How does Chaos compare to old X-com? I’m playing through X-com for the first time at the moment (I know, I know), am enjoying it hugely (more of a simulation to nu-xcom’s game. Interface is a pain though) and am interested in exploring more of Gollop’s work.

Malibu Stacey says:

Chaos predates UFO by 2 generations of hardware. It was his first game & sadly I didn’t get to play it as it was only on the ZX Spectrum (I played the shit out of it’s sequel “Lords of Chaos” on both C64 & Amiga though as well as Laser Squad which was the sequel to the ZX Spectrum only Rebelstar Raiders).

UFO built upon & refined the game mechanics the Gollop brothers have been using since Chaos & changed to a much more user friendly isometric view instead of top down 2D so z-levels we easier to navigate. UFO is however more of a sequel to Laser Squad & Rebelstar Raiders than (Lords of) Chaos.

lowprices says:

For a second I misread what you typed as “Laser Squid” and almost quit my job on the spot so I could run home and buy it straight away.. Reality, however, is massively disappointing.

JamesTheNumberless says:

Lord of Chaos was an amazing game – I loved that you had to spend your points on the right balance between improving your wizard and taking the right summoning spells, you still had to actually find ingredients to make potions, or go questing to find equipment for your creatures that could use it – while the other wizards were all trying to do the same stuff – and the world was full of unpredictable wildlife…

Hmm, I think I need to remake that game myself!

Harlander says:

It’s not really much like old X-Com beyond the superficial “turn-based fighty” stuff.

• Themadcow says:

Probably one of my top 10 games of all time, and my 2nd favourite game in terms of multiplayer. Brutal in it’s difficulty at times – games could last ages, or you could be dead in the first turn (yeah, I’m looking at you Mr first-turn magic bolt). The game balanced itself based on what seemed to be a threat based mechanic where being weak (in terms of creatures you control) took you ‘off the radar’ of the CPU controlled Wizards and gave you enough time to lay down your fortress of blobs/fires that could even out the odds.

Every turn involved some form of caluclated risk – cast a powerful dragon and go on the offensive, but high risk of failure leaves you vulnerable? Cast an illusionary dragon but risk someone disbelieving it? etc so you rarely felt you were going through the motions, except in some end-game situations where neither player can kill each other.

It’s a brilliant game and there are plenty of (endorsed I believe) emulations available on the web and the aforementioned android version is decent too. *Casts Turmoil – crashes RPS*

4. AbyssUK says:

I can’t stop playing Chaos on my droid… awesome game!

5. adamsolo says:

Oh Chaos! The memories. Loved playing it with friends (up to 8 if I recall). It was definitely chaotic :D but so much fun.

I can never thank Julian Gollop enough for his games that brought so much joy to my life and helped shape who I am today (e.g. Rebelstar, UFO: Enemy Unknown, Chaos). I love him.

6. AbyssUK says:

What worries me about the screenshot is the percentages, one of the great things about chaos was the unpredicability of knowing if your creature could actually kill the other creature or not… having the computer give you the odds kind of messes with this I think.

• Matfink says:

My thoughts exactly. It was great how a game could be turned with just one unexpected result.
      Worryingly it looks like he’s smoothing off the random edges that made chaos chaotic.

Harlander says:

You could work out the likelihood of an attack succeeding in the original game, to an extent. Looking at creatures’ stats on the battlefield gave you a rough idea

7. b0rsuk says:

Looks good, but the circles below units should be toned down to 20%.

8. foda500 says:

Shut up and take my money Mr Gollop.

9. Dana says:

That’s not what I expected. I thought it would be basically 1:1 port of the original, with spruced up (2d) graphics. Plus the hex grid, while old one was square. Small board.

Considering his praise of the title, I’m afraid that he may want to pull off an “XCOM”, that is more casual and approachable reinvention of the series. We will see.

But so far, TotalChaos remains the apex of what Chaos games can offer.

http://xavprods.free.fr/chaos/index2.html (feel the early 90’s on this site ha).

Malibu Stacey says:

A 1:1 reproduction of Chaos would require throwing out it’s much better sequel Lords of Chaos which I doubt Mr Gollop would be likely to do.

It would also require throwing away about 25+ years of experience in games development that he’s accrued.

JamesTheNumberless says:

Agreed, I really hope the new Chaos goes more the way of Lords, than of the original. But with procedural maps!

• Dana says:

1:1 as far as visuals and aesthetics are concerned. I wasn’t a big fan of Lords of Chaos myself.