Rome II Will Conquer 35 GB Of Your Hard Drive

By Adam Smith on June 28th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Creative Assembly need to tell you something. The Horsham-based developer has been trying to let the world know how large Total War: Rome II is for ages now, showing off its enormous battlefields, the thousands of men rushing around the place, the naval units that lurk offshore. The elephants. Having played the game myself at Rezzed, I can confirm that the wars do appear to be total, stretching from one exquisitely rendered horizon to the other. To communicate and celebrate the game’s grand proportions, another of those massive screenshots has appeared, showing a ruckus down by the Nile. Oh, and the hefty system specs have been confirmed. 35 GB of HD space is probably around a megabyte per elephant.

Here are the full specs:

Minimum:
OS: XP/ Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8
Processor:2 GHz Intel Dual Core processor / 2.6 GHz Intel Single Core processor
Memory: 2GB RAM
Graphics:512 MB DirectX 9.0c compatible card (shader model 3, vertex texture fetch support).
DirectX®:9.0c
Hard Drive: 35 GB HD space
Screen Resolution: 1024×768

Recommended:
OS: Windows 7 / Windows 8
Processor:2nd Generation Intel Core i5 processor (or greater)
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics:1024 MB DirectX 11 compatible graphics card.
DirectX®:11
Hard Drive:35 GB HD space
Screen Resolution: 1920×1080

System specs always remind me of being a teenager and scouring game boxes, looking for anything that would run on my ageing rig.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. nimzy says:

This recalls fond memories of being excited to receive my first hard drive capable of holding a whole gigabyte. I felt like I could download the entire internet! Now you can buy terabyte-sized hard drives for little money.

Textures aren’t cheap you know! (Though this does seem to suggest you would get a rather dramatic performance boost by playing this game off a SSD.)

RedViv says:

Improving almost every load with an SSD certainly was the case with Shogun 2, so it’s rather likely that it will be so again.

• Highstorm says:

I remember being shocked as a kid when I went to install MechWarrior 2 and saw it was about 150 MB. My hard drive at the time was only 84 MB…

A single game, bigger than my entire computer?? Then we got a 2 GB drive and I thought I’d never need another ever again.

• acheron says:

Ha, I remember it was awesome having a hard drive at all, rather than having to swap floppies all the time. It held 20 MB.

The upgrade from that was an 80 MB hard drive. That one I still have in a shoebox.

• Didden says:

Yeah, my first one was 40mb and that wasn’t to bad at the time. It was a 386 DX 25. But it played Doom fine.

• Rich says:

Anyone remember how long it took to patch a fresh install of Half-life up to the last version.
      It was not fun.

• laijka says:

I remember me and my friends wrote down the specs of a ridiculous PC we made up for funsies.
      I don’t remember the exact specs today but I do remember that the HDD space was something like 2000GB(2TB). That was what we figured was enough for anyone to have forever and ever. And still have plenty of space left.

And today some 15 years later I’m sitting on twice that. Crazy stuff man..

I also remember how Baldur’s Gate 2 blew my mind with a ~3GB install size.

• goettel says:

Loath to betray my age, but I still have fond memories of my first 20MB (that’s twenty elephants for you non-techies) HD. Plenty of room for a young man’s ehm fantasies (GIF, of course).

• jaugwyda4545 says:

• jaugwyda4545 says:

It’s hard to complain about something that gives you 35,840 elephants, but if they were just a little smaller, it’d give you 37,000, which is equivalent to a thousand Hannibals.http://vimeo.com/6537636

• guygodbois00 says:

I’m still laughing about my ignorance of 20 years ago: Bought 540MB hard drive. Had only 200MB on C:. After a month or two I discovered partitions. Heh, you live you learn.

• Syra says:

Back in my day we didn’t have fancy computer memory. We had to pay two chaps to memorise code for us and regurgitate it on demand into a punch-ticket-machine based system, which they would do after a little encouragement from my father’s cane.

• Andrewartha says:

Punch ticket machine? Luxury. When i was a kid we had to write the code by placing stones in a beach and pray the tide didn’t change it over night.

2. SAeN says:

Looks like my Internet will be this years upgrade.

3. TaylanK says:

Adam, any comments on the competency of the AI? That’s always been my gripe with the series.

4. rpenm says:

The Total War games are all storage hogs. My Shogun 2 + Rise/Fall of the Samurai install is ~29 GB. I wonder if CA just doesn’t bother with compression.

• Grygus says:

My installation is under 24Gb. Not that it changes your point, but are you counting some mods or something?

Gap Gen says:

Apparently in Empire they lost track of what assets were used by the game as they made changes to it during development, so had no idea which ones they could throw out in the final version.

• nearly says:

not sure why yours is so much bigger than that other commenter, but I do seem to recall them sending out a patch or updating the file system to slim it down by around 10gigs or so. I think it was about the time that the level editor came out.

I hate how big it is because, somehow, my install always goes bad and they start accusing me of piracy and refuse to let me play. Deleted Shogun 2 for the third time a few weeks ago and haven’t the heart to try and download it again since it’ll take weeks on my current connection, especially since I’ve got all the DLC now. The weird part this time was that it just disappeared from my Installed list on Steam and I didn’t notice until I was trying to free up space and couldn’t figure out what could possibly be occupying it. Don’t imagine I’ll be buying Rome II for some combination of these reasons.

• socrate says:

i though shogun was all graphic and not much gameplay it was rather extremely boring…i kind of hate the new total war game as they dont offer much strategy and instead just give you nice graphic and tons of DLC now…also the AI tend to be atrocious

• Bon3s says:

I find that extremely unfair! Shogun biggest problem was a lack of variety on the unit department. Every faction had basically the same ones. But the AI was a lot better than in other total war games and had pretty graphics. I think it was pretty good. My favourite is still Rome…

• Syra says:

I’m surprised we’re not used to this yet? RAGE was a 35 odd gb d/l a few years ago, Maxpayne3 was an absurd 40+, Farcry3 was in similar territory. Most games have huge installs now, pure art assets.

Don’t try pointing out the difference between an FPS and an RTS or I shall have to point out the scale of all the new things which can be zoomed right into.

5. Splynter says:

Installs like this combined with ridiculous data caps and overage charges are why I still like to buy games on physical disc if I can.

• nearly says:

it’s the worst when you buy a game at retail for just this reason and they make you download half or all of it from Steam anyway

• C0llic says:

This shouldn’t happen. If you install the game correctly it should just be a disk check and any 0 day patches. Not every company is good at making that work though, or ends up delivering massive patches due to how they choose to deliver their game.

• nearly says:

I believe the retail disc version of Borderlands GOTY received a number of very low reviews from military personnel and others who were displeased to find out that none of the extra content was on disc and they had basically no way to download it.

• Syra says:

I’m slightly aghast that anyone in their right mind would still be using internet with data caps. Didn’t we collectively, as a species, move on from that bullshit circa 2003?

6. Crosmando says:

Slightly related, Obsidian’s Project Eternity (when it comes out) will probably end up being over 50GB uncompressed. I read that the tiny map with the waterfall they demo’d has over 1.3GB in size, due to the fact that it’s all prerendered.

• ChromeBallz says:

And uncompressed, unprocessed. It’s a techdemo of what they have running now, don’t worry, they’ll get it down to size :)

7. RvLeshrac says:

SInce they’re increasing the size of the game, maybe they could finally increase the fucking font size.

I have a copy of Shogun, and can’t read a single goddamn line of text. It doesn’t scale, so the individual characters are about a single pixel tall at 1600×900.

Completely unplayable.

8. SkittleDiddler says:

Max Payne 3 managed to reach 35GB, yet I doubt that Rome II is going to be the same huge waste of space that MP3 turned out to be. It’s all in how you use it.

9. jonahcutter says:

Is that with the day-one-locked-out-unless-preordered Greek states, or without?

• Davie says:

I have to say, that was a pretty ham-fisted attempt to shoehorn in an opinion on something only slightly relevant.

• Captain Joyless says:

Not entirely. I think it’s a valid point: are we being forced to download all the assets for something we can’t play unless we pay more to unlock them?

I’m sure the answer is yes.

• Kandon Arc says:

Well the AI would have been controlling them regardless of any DLC decisions, so the art assets for them, which would take up the most space, would be included anyway.

• DougyM says:

Not to mention that you would need the assets in case you played against someone who had them as their faction in multiplayer too.

Chances are that not all of the data will be in the base game, the downloaded portion will probably be the video files and audio etc. that each faction is supposed to have unique to it.

• jonahcutter says:

I’d say it was more somewhat shoe-horned, rather than completely ham-fisted.

But I am dedicated to the cause so I fear not dressing aids, nor clenched pork products.

• Mctittles says:

I’m sure they are still there as you will fight against them on the campaign. The only difference would be instead of unlocking them through the fun of play like the first Rome, you will unlock them easily by spending money.

• Vlad Dracul says:

Which is a rip-off.
        God damn greedy bastards!

• socrate says:

i really wish they would just do the old way of giving us everything instead of cutting stuff just for DLC or instead of making an expansion

the old way of being rewarded to play the game added alots to games

10. Mr. Mister says:

Well, this certainly has nothing to do with Avalanche Studios.

11. rpsKman says:

I wonder if that includes the installer and the space needed to install the game. Like, I really wonder…

Gap Gen says:

The lack of a concept of zero means that the game has to be coded entirely in ones, which means it takes up more space.

13. Solidstate89 says:

Christ, I didn’t think it could be even bigger than Shogun 2.

• Agadagen says:

Well, Shogun 2 only mapped Japan as far as I know, whereas this is mapping most of europe and parts of western asia and north africa, and it’s doing it all at a higher resolution and level of detail than S2. And that’s just for the campaign map.

• ChromeBallz says:

The campaign map isn’t what’s taking up the space. It’s the battlemaps. There’s a lot more variety in Europe than there is in Japan simply due to being so much bigger :)

The campaign map alone isn’t going to make a 6gb difference. For reference, that’s the entire of Oblivion, all game data, all textures, all sounds.

strangeloup says:

I suppose, like Shogun 2 and Empire/Napoleon before it, that I’ll be getting this on disc if at all, because hahahaha 35gb fucking seriously. No hats for me though, and the hats are really good :(

See also: reasons why I haven’t reinstalled Witcher 2. I don’t -really- want to tie up my internet connection for a couple of days straight.

15. MeestaNob says:

Jesus England! It’s not like they’re asking you to install from floppy disks.

Even if they don’t offer a pre-load before release, just leave your PC on for the day. As an Australian, I find it funny to hear people complain about having to download a lot, given our own VERY recent history of being an internet backwater.

• DougyM says:

I cannot imagine that they would neglect to do a preload…. i mean 35 gig worth of content for a game that has been on their top 10 list since it went up for sale, plus the additional customers they need to take into account from the likes of Greenmangaming etc.

Shogun 2 had a preload but it was only a day before release…

Regardless even if Steam has a wobbly i will still be pretty giddy watching the download progress, maybe throw some Rifftrax on just to pass the time.

• Caiman says:

Speed is becoming less of an issue. Bandwidth caps, however, are. 35 Gb is 55% of my monthly internet download quota. Upgrade to a higher plan then, you say. Er no, way too expensive right now (regional area, inflated costs). I’d definitely have to order the physical media for this game.

Gap Gen says:

Speaking as someone who has 10TB of data at work *after * judicious tidying up, 35GB is still a lot for a game to ask.

16. Reapy says:

Planning on a new PC round Xmas, probably going to use this guy as the maxed out game ill play first on it, now have to make sure the ssd is large enough.

17. ITSSEXYTIME says:

I’m not too fussed, plenty of hard drive space. My Steam folder consumes over 1.5 TB.

18. Freud says:

Of that 1 kb will be used on the General AI.

• Vlad Dracul says:

Nah, it’s too little.
      They will use 2 kb for that purpose, but no more than that.
      >: )

• bstard says:

1k might outsmart the average players’ ‘Pre-order’ -> ‘Select all’ -> ‘Chaaaaaarge!!’.

bills6693 says:

HOLY MOTHER OF!

I’m going to have to delete several games to make space for this. I don’t have 35GB spare on my hard drive or on my external hard drive…

20. Ateius says:

Well, this just went from “Must-buy digital download” to “Get a hard copy off Amazon sometime after I next upgrade my PC”. I can spare neither the bandwidth nor hard drive space for 35gb of Total War, no matter how lovely it looks.

• Seafort says:

I would never buy Rome II digitally for the price they are asking of £45. I thought Company of Heroes 2 was expensive at £40 but this just takes the piss hehe.

It seems I’ll be buying more retail if digital prices keep increasing like this.

The size of the game isn’t a problem but the digital price is.

• Shodex says:

You’d think the last of manufacturing and shipping costs would encourage publishers to sell at a lower price as to get more customers. But outside of Steam sales that doesn’t seem to be the case.

On a semi-unrelated note, what the hell is with the price of Planetary Annihilation? Since when did I have to pay £67.99 to alpha test somebody’s game for them.

• Leb says:

u don’t.

They’ve kept pricing match with what they promised Kickstarter backers.

$80 dollar backers got Alpha
          $60 beta
          $30 release

Sorry for USD pricing but essentially those paying more are paying for their impatience to play/their support of the devs.

Personally I went for the $30 and I’m glad to wait.

21. captain nemo says:

The nile screenshot could be in the National Gallery

22. -Spooky- says:

What is this bandwidth bubble these days?`Living behind the rocks or on the moon? Rly? Some provider has internet volume / month? Jeez ..

• rpsKman says:

My penis is bigger than your dad.

• Shodex says:

ISP’s in Canada only recently brought back uncapped dl/up. I remember in 2005 I could download all I want, but “upgrading” my plan had me stuck at 60GB a month. Only in March was I able to pay extra for uncapped.

• dE says:

It gets better. Some countries, like for example germany, are taking a plunge back into the internet dark ages by re-introducing traffic limits. Even better, a lot of western countries still have traffic limits they never got rid of in the first place. Speed isn’t that stellar either. After turning communication branches into corporations, no one has bothered with infrastructure in decades.
      Here’s a funny prediction for the near future: Watch it go downhill from here.

23. Sidewinder says:

Which is either a simple coincidence, or a really weird commentary.

24. nevarran says:

My Solid Drive you mean :)

25. RegisteredUser says:

Maybe if they stopped using 100% uncompressed .tga files for pictures and similiar stuff for sound their games would be about 20-30% of that size.
    I suspect a third of that will just be movies, though.

Still, what is it with this trend of “Why should we know how to make games and use proper file formats if we can just slop on 30.000+ raw files and let the user sort it out”?
    Some of the paradox games are barely 700mb, but have infinite files that will take lifetimes to load not due to size, but due to filesystem clutter idiocy.

I miss the days of id soft and 3D Realms with clean, compressed, and ultra-quickly loading pak / pk3 files that were efficient and functional(Under 200 files for an install? Unpossible! Mommy, whats a database? For that matter, whats a zipfile?)

26. wodin says:

After watching the Rezzed footage the spark of interest I had soon ran out of flint..or whatever I was using to generate a spark..

• Shodex says:

You were probably using the spinning disc of your hard drive.

27. Advanced Assault Hippo says:

With only a couple of months till release, the lack of gameplay footage/information regarding the campaign side of things is worrying. I’ve only seen a few seconds of it from the E3 video.

We’ve had 32 million videos and screencaps of the battles themselves, but nothing on the equally important strategic side.

Are RPS going to try and chase CA about this? The coverage of this game (the actual nuts & bolts) from the gaming press seems woefully lopsided this close to release.

• Dave Talbot says:

Have a look for the live code demo video from Rezzed- there’s a good twenty minutes of Campaign Map gameplay on there.

28. Shodex says:

Only half related, but Sony is letting people use their own Hard Drives for the PS4 because apparently the games will be “about 50GB” in size according to their own mouths. So I suppose we’ll be seeing bloated games like this in the future.

It does make me wonder what all that space is going to, it’s not like games look 10x better than when they were only 5-7GB.

• Syra says:

Super high resolution textures. Those artists are finally getting paid for the work they do not the work they do and then shrink :<