Speediest Racer: TrackMania 2: Valley Out Next Week!

By Craig Pearson on June 28th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Look at us, dad! Vrooom!
I know the TrackMania games are known for being speedy, but this is making a mockery of everything I know about game development, as well as the laws of time and space. It was only last Friday that TrackMania 2: Stadium was released, and now they’ve announced the release date of TrackMania 2: Valley. It is coming out on July 4th, 2013. The new addition has 65 new tracks for the new rally style handling mode, and all the building blocks you’d expect from one of their games. Just, you know, next week rather than a few months from now.

The plus point is more games for everyone, which generally speaking seems like it should be a good thing. But even if you treat these packs like DLC, less than two weeks between hefty releases is still a very short time to dump things on a community. Especially if it’s paid-for. Aren’t you sort of carving your community up into little chunks?

This trailer for it was released last November, which I think is proof that there’s some sort of relativistic trickery going on here. I just checked some family photos: on my third birthday, I can clearly be seen playing TrackMania 3 on my ZX Spectrum. Half-Life 3, however, was nowhere in sight.

So mark July 4th in your diary as TrackMania 2: Valley day!

, , , .

1. The First Door says:

Well that’s a nice surprise for a Friday afternoon! Been looking forward to Valley for a while now.

Thanks Craig. Thaig.

2. Jekhar says:

Mh, still waiting for some sort of bundle. After i have been spoiled by Trackmania United, paying for each scenery individually seems weird. Also, can someone tell me if these games require some sort of Nadeo game client or is it “safe” to buy it on steam?

• 4026 says:

I believe Trackmania 2 still launches through Nadeo’s ManiaPlanet thinger, even if you buy through Steam. I couldn’t tell you for sure, though, since I too am waiting for the “Yeah, we’ve finished the game now” bundle.

Craig Pearson says:

Buying it on Steam will still require the game to be launched in the ManiaPlanet launcher.

• Jekhar says:

Ok, buying it on steam would be silly then. Thanks for your replies.

• Chizu says:

Also you can buy it from Nadeo direct and activate on steam, to get the best of both worlds. (and actually vise-verse).
      It’s what I did.

3. Stevostin says:

This screams: “we need to sale big on steam summer sale”.

4. Commander Gun says:

Simple question:
    If i own both stadium and valley (and canyon), is it possible to use the stadium car in the valley/canyon scenery?
    This was certainly the case in Trackmania United, but i doubt it is possible in the new maniaplanet, as it are basically seperate games, right?

• The Random One says:

I second that question. The trailers certainly imply each game works as an expansion pack for the others, even if it’s a standalone by itself.

• Oreb says:

TrackMania^2 works just like TrackMania United in this respect. You can change the car models to anything you like, but their acceleration and handling characteristics can’t be altered. You can have a Stadium-looking car in the Canyon environment, but it will drift around corners like the Canyon car.

• Commander Gun says:

Tx mate, but actually that isn;t the case. I know for a fact that i raced with a stadium car (not just the model, but the real car, including the handling) in a non-stadium environment.

5. The Random One says:

Psht, remember not to believe launch dates. I bet this won’t come out until the 5th!

This looks like F.U.E.L. if it was ludicrous instead of large. I hope they put out a demo.

6. Chizu says:

Oh, that came out alot faster than I was expecting. And whislt I am poor! Damn you Nadeo.
    Rally was neat in the old games, was looking forward to Valley.
    I shall have to pick it up later.

7. Carbonated Dan says:

I literally just set up a stadium server yesterday :/
    oh well, if anyone wants to share and play custom maps feel free to filter for UK servers and jump on ‘Carbonated Server’

8. Shadowcat says:

I don’t suppose they’ve added Platform mode to TM2 yet?

• eyebo says:

They added a free Platform title pack for owners of TrackMania² Canyon back in July 2012. You can download it in-game from the maniaplanet-store. They even made a trailer about it. You can find the trailer on the maniaplanet channel on YouTube.

• trjp says:

What exactly is Platform – it’s say there in Maniaplanet and I’ve no idea why :)

9. Shadrach says:

A game trailer with an actually decent soundtrack, well well what do you know…

10. Beernut says:

Since I enjoyed all the other parts so far, I’m looking forward to it. Does anyone know what price-point they’re aiming for? The 10€ for Stadium² were quite fair imo.

EDIT: They stated in their forums, that it would cost 19.99€, just like Canyon. I don’t know about that. On the one hand it’s probably justified with the new environment and everything. But on the other hand, I already rushed through Stadium in a couple of sessions and it felt more like a map-pack for canyon than a game in its own right. I’m not sure if it’ll be worth 20€ to me, considering that I’m only interested in the single-player-campaign.