(Syn)Indicate Right: First Satellite Reign Images?

By Jim Rossignol on June 28th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

So it seems like there will be two contenders for the Hey, We Forgot About Syndicate In All This Nostalgia throne. One is Cartel, which Paradox are now beginning to tease fairly strongly, and the other is a fragment of information squeezed the news that Syndicate Wars man (and so appropriately named for a ’90s developer) Mike Diskett is UP TO SOMETHING. The first images of the thing he is up to, Satellite Reign, have appeared on a Swedish site, fz.se. They’re just concept art, but Oh My God concept art. Satellite Reign, which is without much doubt an impending Kickstarter, could well cause me to inject drugs into my augmented espionage agent once it is announced.

HOW ABOUT THAT FOR A EUPHEMISM.

More images below. Click for slightly larger. (But not much larger.)

1. BenAttenborough says:

Dissenters will not be tolerated – natch

The Sombrero Kid says:

yep, they sure as hell can draw. if they’re half as good at making a game as they are at drawing it’s an instant buy.

• TechnicalBen says:

I generally feel that any Kickstarter without gameplay video (or at least explanations) looses my interest. But the other news post shows some alhpa/concept shots of gameplay. So that’s encouraging.

Harlander says:

Art like that can be used to sell anything to me.

Pipe fittings, or horse collars, it doesn’t matter, the commerce mist comes down when I see that kinda art.

That said, did you mean to put the first picture in twice?

c-Row says:

Could you please point me into the direction of any website on which Paradox is actually saying anything recent about Cartel at all?

5. Unrein says:

Sweet merciful jacked-in Jesus. *cybergasms*

6. MuscleHorse says:

Well slice off my legs and fit me some version threes, this looks mighty fine!

7. BurningPet says:

What’s the consensus regarding syndicate wars compared to the original?

• TailSwallower says:

At the time I found SW lacking, but I just bought it from GOG so I can give it another bash.

So… I’ll report back? Eventually?

At the very least you can destroy entire buildings and watch them collapse in full 3D. That never got old.

• Jekhar says:

Back then i liked it. Seemed like more of the same, but prettier. It’s been a while since i played it. The one thing that i remember clearly was a funny mistranslation in the german version. In the game there were billboards with voiceover for the movie Ghost in the Shell. The german version translated that literally to Geist in der Muschel. Muschel = Seashell.

• Lenderz says:

I liked Syndicate Wars more than the original, this may be because I played Syndicate Wars before Syndicate itself because I come from a backwards timeline. Also I wasn’t aware of the original when I used my pocked money to buy the big cardboard box with a shiny face on it which was Syndicate Wars.

I believe the general consensus is that I’m wrong in my opinion however, but I’m fine with that.

• WarderDragon says:

It was one of my favorite games around that time. Really, really, really good. It became a little same-y after a while though.

• Werthead says:

I didn’t think it was as strong. The cities had to be a lot smaller due to the move to 3D and I wasn’t a fan of the infinite ammo thing. Scavenging enemy corpses for ammo was important in the combat-heavy levels of the original. The camera controls also felt like a bit of a distraction compared to the fixed viewpoint of the original.

However, it was still pretty damn good. Very technically impressive for the day. Oddly, I thought it played better on the PS1, where I actually completed it, as opposed to on PC where I never got past the third mission.

The original SYNDICATE I still periodically replay from start to finish. Jaw-dropping game when it first came out. AMIGA FORMAT had a demo of it with absolutely no preamble or previews of the game at all, so I was totally unprepared for the sheer scale of the thing.

lowprices says:

I’m surprised people are excited about a spiritual sequel to Syndicate. I thought it was a terrible fps.

9. Voxel_Music_Man says:

Psst, you uploaded the same image twice. Also, please don’t hesitate to delete this post if you fix it.

10. MeestaNob says:

Where do I send money? WHERE?

• mangrove says:

To Kickstarter, of course :) The project is now live.

• valuum says:

I was about to comment that it’ll take more than purty pictures and some text to convince me to back a game, but all of a sudden I’m a backer. So confused.

11. Crosmando says:

The timer has now given way to a full website:

“The Game
    A real-time, class-based strategy game set in an open world cyberpunk city from the creator of Syndicate Wars.
    What is Satellite Reign?

Satellite Reign is a real-time, class-based strategy game. You control a squad of four agents, each with distinct and unique abilities as they vie and battle for control of a fullysimulated, living, cyberpunk city.

The game world is designed to facilitate emergent gameplay, giving you the tools and freedom to play how you want to play, so you can create strategies and scenarios that not even we had anticipated!

Customise your team with the strength to destroy your enemies head-on, or hack into their facilities to manipulate their infrastructure without them ever knowing you were even there.

Will you take down your enemies with brute-force? Covert espionage and infiltration? Or will you use propaganda to influence the citizens of the city and overthrow the controlling powers?

Satellite Reign will be released on Windows, Mac OS and Linux.”

• somnolentsurfer says:

And the Kickstarter is up. It certainly looks a lot like Syndicate.

But… It sounds like you’ll be playing as the good guys!

• Crosmando says:

Sounds more like you have the choice to side with whoever you want. Seems to me like the game is rather RPG-influenced. I would have honestly preferred a setting where you played as a CEO of the ruling order and your job was to crush all those filthy poor people demanding rights like food and clean drinking water :)

• thecat17 says:

But I thought people played games to escape reality?!

12. BobbyDylan says:

TAKE MY MONIES!!!

13. Snids says:

Satellite Rain more like!

Hodge says: