No Bargain Bucket This Week!

By Jim Rossignol on June 29th, 2013 at 7:54 pm.

Oh no! Lewie rode a horse to Glastonbury, and was eaten alive by cannibal mud hippies! We will have to make our own bucket somehow. I’ll start us off with the bargain-pregnant GoG.com front page. Anyone else?

1. trjp says:

Just mine the Bargains thread on out very own forum

It’s ram-jam-full of bargains and recommendations within those bargains.

Squeenix have an (EU only – I think) sale on this w/e – which includes everything they sell but the most notable bit is the (new to them) DS and DS2 for just £1.25 each.

They take PayPal or cards or some weird arcane cash things – and they give Steam keys for those (but many of their games are just old-fashioned DRM-free downloads – check before buying)

• TechnicalBen says:

Still cannot get over how SE only use pre-rendered cut scenes for FF7, yet allow the blocky graphics for DS1. :P

• Inglourious Badger says:

DS means Dark Souls nowadays, don’t get our hopes up like a that!

Cool thread, though. Didn’t realise the forums catered for such a thing. Will keep an eye out.

• jnik says:

Wait, so FF7 is now DRM-free? I was under the impression when it came out that they had their own obnoxiousness on it….but if I can pay and get a bucket of bits, I may just have to buy it. Again. Thanks!

2. The_B says:

Surgeon Simulator 2013 on Steam. 33% off – £4.68 for the next 20 hours or so.

Also Chivalry and Natural Selection 2 with 66% off for the weekend, making them £6.45 each here.

(I believe the RPS forums have highly recommended communities for both games, should you be looking for people to play with after your purchase.)

3. grundus says:

I can heartily recommend this http://pixeljam.bundledragon.com/octology purely on the strength of Dino Run SE and the soundtrack to said game. If you need convincing, there are hats. One of them is Boba Fett’s helmet. Yes, dinosaurs wearing Boba Hatts.

• trjp says:

Dino Run SE is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G – I hate endless runners but it’s just awesome – you MUST have it.

4. KwisatzHaderach says:

Gamefly sale on Ubisoft titles 66% off:

• Jazzyboy says:

A lot of people, including myself, have very bad experiences with Gamefly. I wouldn’t recommend it.

There are two verifications that can take hours each to complete. It’s a hassle. Oh and customer support is absolutely horrendous.

• grundus says:

I can’t comment on their support but I can’t recall hating it when I signed up to buy Hitman: Contracts. Which, by the way, I wouldn’t recommend as it doesn’t exactly run – not on Windows 7 anyway – and as GameFly is basically the only place that sells it now no one has bothered to work out how to fix it.

• KwisatzHaderach says:

Oh, sorry, i didn’t know that. I only once purchased Brütal Legend there and had no problems…

• trjp says:

In fairness to them, their CS has always been quick-to-respond for me – sadly, when it comes to games bought when it was D2D, they often can’t actually make them work properly.

Which kinda grates…

• povu says:

They used to be direct2drive right? I remember that they used to do stuff with their exe files that made it incompatible with some mods, like Oblivion’s script extender.

• Hullabaloo says:

They took over three days to authorise my Mass Effect 3 download after I had paid for it. First and last time I will use Gamefly, be warned.

Hodge says:

The Shanks are pay-what-you-want over at the Humble Weekly.

• boundless08 says:

+1 to Hodge!

http://www.bundlestars.com/ Dynamite bundle is a good price for King’s Bounty and Fantasy Wars alone.

• trjp says:

and Off Road Drive – if you treat it as a puzzle game rather than a driving game – it’s brilliant.

• Saarlaender39 says:

Regarding http://www.bundlestars.com/, if you (like me) purchased their first “Dynamite Bundle”, you should check your account now, because in that case you got “King’s Bounty: The Legend” and “Fantasy Wars” added for free.

JiminyJickers says:

Good find, never knew about this one. Now have another new stack of games to add to my backlog.

golem09 says:

The indiegamestand has a new game on offer (pay what you want, as always) and it looks quite interesting.

• physicser says:

Constant C is interesting, at least the little bit of it I’ve gotten around to playing. I picked it up in one of the Groupees bundles (Anniversary maybe?), but haven’t had much of a chance of playing it yet. The “gravity only affecting a small area around you” is an interesting idea, though I’m interested to see if it remains so throughout the whole game.

7. Ice-Fyre says:

I just check http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/ all the time, picked up some right deals last couple of months! Just don’t go to the front page *shudders*

• trjp says:

Why not – I learn things every day on there – and see cute dogs…

Just filter out the people…

• nearly says:

there were actually some surprising comments in a thread on gaming (which is usually a total wasteland) regarding homosexuality in rogue legacy. myself and a few others felt that there were some homoerotic tones in Gears of War and thought Marcus and Dom should have been a couple. usually you have to go to the gaymers subreddit to get anything openminded, let alone desiring of that sort of thing

8. Pesticide says:

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/1213-total-war-rome-ii Rome 2 for 28,50 euro, preorder dlc included, just bought it, worked with paypal flawlessly

9. malkav11 says:

Okay. So, I generally don’t consider Indiegala a particularly successful provider of bundle deals. They tend to have mediocre or unknown games without a lot of compelling collections. But the Indiegala Summer Dream has ALL FOUR of the DROD games, two for pay what you want, two for beat the average. http://www.indiegala.com/summerdream

This is a fantastic deal as the DROD games are some of the finest puzzle games on this planet and normally go for $20 per and have never gone on sale directly to my knowledge. (None of them are on Steam, though the latest is on Greenlight, and the latest two are on Desura so you will get Desura keys for those.)

If for some reason you’re on the fence (and you shouldn’t be – they’re amazing), they all have big free demos. Heck, because the engine is open source, the demos will play any of the fan created levels (of which there are zillions) no problem, you just won’t have access to the rest of the official content or the additional tilesets, music, etc that come with the full game. Which might disrupt the planned visuals for a given level, but won’t generally affect gameplay.

• zapatapon says:

I concur about DROD games, and the fact that as a consequence this Indie Gala is exceptionally good.
      (One DROD game has been on PWYW before once at Indiegamestand)

• MondSemmel says:

Completely agree. In fact, since buying the bundle on Thursday, I have done basically nothing but play the first DROD title. Which is bad for me, because my exams start in two weeks. Well, at least the games are great…

10. eclipse mattaru says:

GetGamesGo has Tomb Raider for US 16.99 and Tomb Raider Survival Edition for US 19.71 (that’s 66% off, in case you don’t speak American).

I don’t remember having bought anything from them before, but I haven’t had any issue this time; they emailed me a Steam activation code right away and we’re all as happy as very very happy squirrels.

11. JMurdoch says:

You could also use http://www.epicbundle.com/ That site tracks a bunch of bundle sites.

12. kalirion says:

Pick 2 games (plus all bonuses) for $1.50, additional games cost $0.75 and less the more you add

Zafehouse: Diaries (Desura + GOG + DRM Free)
    Zombies Ruined My Day (Desura + DRM Free)
    Zafehouse: Diaries (DRM Free)
    Holy Avatar vs. Maidens of the Dead (Desura)
    Zombie Bowl-O-Rama (Steam)
    NecroVisioN – Hardcore Edition (Steam)
    The Haunted: Hells Reach (Steam)

Bonus:
    Zombusters (DRM Free, Desura key may be coming soon)
    Dead Hungry Diner (will unlock with 1079 more purchases at time of post, probably steam)

13. Jerppa says:

Goddamn son of a bitch.

14. Morte66 says:

And today is the last day of Google Reader. All is not well, in the land of my blog following.

• guygodbois00 says:

“Different, better, completely gone. Who knows what the future holds for Google Apps?”. I guess we know now. Well, at least for the Reader.

• Woodwork says:

I find netvibes works well. Feedly is also an alternative, but I think it has too much design.

• Gnoupi says:

http://www.newsblur.com/ is quite good also. Allows you to “train” your feeds, to focus on what you want to read first, or hide what you don’t (based on tag, author, or part of the title).

The premium version (unlimited feeds) costs 24$ a year, so that solves the question of the business model and “how long will it be up?”. Remember that if something is free, it is or cashing in on ads and harvesting your personal info, or living only on the creator’s savings.

I changed to it when Google announced Reader’s closure, and never looked back. It actually improved my feed reading experience, not just provided a replacement.

• d32 says:

Go Tiny Tiny Reader, if you want to use this event as opportunity to get independent (you have to host it yourself).
      It is very mature software (been around for years).

15. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I feel like we’ve done well. This has been a genuine bargain bucket. group hug, everyone.

16. Dizzard says:

A good list of current bundles: http://www.indiekings.com/p/bundle-tracker.html

Nothing interesting for me right now personally, but I’m sure there’s some good bargains going there.

17. The_B says:

Borderlands 2 for only £6.80 from Game (redeems on Steam). Also some of the DLC reduced, although sadly not the latest one nor the Season Pass.

Andy_Panthro says:

Not PC gaming, but Carmageddon is free for it’s 16th birthday on the Google Play and Apple stores. Well worth a look, I’ve tried it on both my Nexus 7 and HTC Desire HD and it works very well (drains the battery on my phone rather quickly though!)