Dragon Commander’s Call To Arms Pre-Order

By Jim Rossignol on July 1st, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Divnity: Dragon Commander looks special. It looks mad and it looks silly. And it also looks like you can get into the beta right now if you pre-order. Adam has already played it, and he says: “I’d planned for dragons with jetpacks strapped to their backsides, but I hadn’t expected a skeleton to rebuke me for refusing to discriminate on grounds of gender and sexuality.”

Latest developer video below. Aren’t they handsome?

The game is out on August 6th.

__________________

« | »

, .

Top comments

1. lowprices says:

I feel like this and Saints Row IV represent the ‘Ultimate’ videogames. After these two games are released the games industry will have to pack up and go home because, really, once you’ve introduced ‘Dragons with Jetpacks fighting Homophobic Skeletons’ and ‘Superpowered Presidents killing people with Dubstep Guns’ to the world, where else is there to go?

1. SuicideKing says:

Call to Wings, surely.

2. MeestaNob says:

This game NEEDS a demo, I hope they consider doing one.

3. lowprices says:

4. Soulstrider says:

I am quite interested (an cautious) about this game, I hope we can get some feedback from those who are in the beta.

• TormDK says:

I made the purchase a few days ago and have played a few games (You can only play multiplayer currently, so none of the story is shown – you can play against bots however).

It seems like a good mixture of RISK, and Supreme Commander. You do tactical moves on a “per turn” basis on the World map where you purchase units, do unit/dragon research, and build upgrades on the various map pieces you conquer. Once you start fighting the game moves to the Classic RTS overview where you are to conquer Construction points where you can build various factories and spam units.

Your typical army size is about 50-70 units in the few rounds I’ve played, so you are expected to continue Building to replace losses continually.

The Dragon seems very soft initially however, but I assume this changes as the game progresses and more dragon research is done.

• trjp says:

I’d hoped they might have put the early missions into the Beta by now – he’s showing them off in the demo so I assumed they’d want feedback….

I think I’ll hold off until there’s some SP – it’s not that I’m averse to the MP or bots, it’s just that a satisfying single player challenge is mandatory in a game which costs £30 IMO

Yes, dragons with jetpacks and making strategic decisions about dwarf healthcare rights are not (quite) enough for me!!

• Reapy says:

I was really turned off from the game after seeing the rts gameplay…it looked very generic and uninspired. The dragons role also made it basically feel like you just flip to it and go into vulnerable while you cast aoe spells, mode.

On the tactic map the icons were hard to see and it felt like there was a lot of tedium with using transporters and the like. Still that is forgivable I think.

The diplomacy seemed the most interesting part and is what got me to really look at the game, just the rts should be the manifestation of the game and right now it’s looking pretty shoddy, they really would do whatever they can to give it some more oomph, but I think their game design choices there have locked themselves in a box.

• TormDK says:

Yeah, I’m not a huge fan of the RTS games where you constantly have to spam units without caring much for those you already have spawned. DoW2 > StarCraft :)

The Shaman unit can’t keep units alive when focus fired for instance.

We’ll see, the RISK element will likely be what carries the day with this title for single player.

5. Pich says:

Skeleton waifu here i come

6. neofit says:

Meh. Silly “gather spice, zerg” RTS games are a dime a dozen. Larian style RPGs are very rare. Meh again.

• Ringwraith says:

Traditonal resource-gathering RTSs are not actually the most common things anymore, passive collection seems to be more of a thing.
      Or it could be no-one wants to try and compete with Starcraft II.

• Soulstrider says:

Pretty much this

If they are dime a dozen please tell me where to find them because besides Starcraft 2 I can’t think of any recent one out in the past couple of years and I really do miss that genre.

7. Bluerps says:

That may sound weird, but I’m actually more excited about the part of the game that includes the sexist skeleton than about the part with the dragons with jetpacks.

Comment on this story