Folk Tale Devs Outline A Grand Sandbox Vision

By Jim Rossignol on July 1st, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Folk Tale materialised over on Steam Early Access recently and, despite it being intensely charming, there’s not all that much of a game there yet. So far it’s a tutorial for the campaign, which has disappointed quite few people. But Games Foundry are promising so much more that… well, I can hardly believe it. Take a look for yourself at the video below, which encompasses a gigantic swathe of sandbox building ambition to put most past efforts to shame. If they manage even half this it’ll make serious waves.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Chalky says:

I must say he’s a fantastically eloquent chap – you rarely see a video from an indie game dev voiced so well.

2. SominiTheCommenter says:

But Jim is the one who wrote the article! John is living the vida loca.

3. Thurgret says:

This made me go double-check the author before I read past ‘implied’.

4. Viroso says:

I don’t want to watch 24 minutes because I keep a very busy schedule, I do believe me. Can someone who watched it tell me the most interesting things? I know that comes off so bad and lazy, asking things for free. But I’m sure you’re a kind, giving person.

• TaylanK says:

You’ll manage your town all the way from medieval times to space age. The game is won when you build the interstellar united planet nations, and all your townsfolk become star citizens, at which point you can transfer your save game to Chris Roberts’ game Star Citizen.

• The Random One says:

I’m on my phone and can’t watch the video to know the extent to which you’re being sarcastic, but I’d love a game in which you controlled a town from its beginnings as the vassals’ lands built around a lord’s castle until it became a modern-day/near-future metropolis. It’d be Simcity by way of Civilization.

5. Ergates_Antius says:

I like the look of the building, less so the dungeons (I mean, it looks good, but I’m more interestedi n the building).

What I’d really like is a [faux] medieval farming game. Or maybe just a small-holding farming game or something.

• The Random One says:

Check out Banished! And thank bluerps for reminding me of what its name was on the SimCity Piece of Ship DLC thread!

• Fiatil says:

The Guild 2 is sort of that. You can start off as a farmer and do all sorts of farming for your money, but sadly the biggest drawback of the game is that it’s as buggy as can be. I’m a sucker for this type of game; here’s hoping this one lives up to its potential.

6. Saliken says:

From the time I spent skimming through, looks pretty much like a 3D, and more convoluted, Cultures game. link

7. Hunchback says:

This is really looking awesome. I hope they mange all their goals, those guys seem very ambitious and are trying to making a great game!

Comment on this story