Getting If Off Your Chess: Rooks Keep

By Jim Rossignol on July 1st, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

“It’s a PC based, deathmatch arena combat game, combined with Chess,” explain the developers of Rooks Keep. “Okay then, that sounds weird!” says I. “We also have a demo, and we’re running the gauntlet of Steam Greenlight,” the developers continue, cheerily. “Ah, a demo, like in the old days,” say RPS readers, who quietly click to download it and play. “Additionally, Rooks Keep supports 3rd party Chess engines,” says the website. “I don’t even know what that means!” says Jim, before making a cup of delicious hot tea in real time. Mmm.

There’s a video below, which you should check, mate. [OMG SORRY.]

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Top comments

Gap Gen says:

These infernal chess engines, ruining the countryside with their belching smoke and their 1.e4.

P7uen says:

The Software Toolworks Presents…

2. realitysconcierge says:

I wonder if they’ll have a “just chess mode.” That would make it exciting for a whole new generation!

• Zankmam says:

There is just a “chess mode”; the in-game models move on the board and kill each other in violent ways when you take a figure – so it’s completely normal chess, just made awesome.

There is also a “Combat chess” mode, where it still plays the same, but when you try to take a figure, it turns into a 1 v 1 fight in the games regular 3rd Person Deathmatch engine.

So, if you are skilled, you can kill a Queen that is attacking you with a Peon.

3. ZyloMarkIII says:

Are we going to bust out all the old board games as well? Checkers interpreted as a DOTA-styled game? Othello as a Real-Time Strategy? Backgammon as a First-Person Shooter?

• Esteis says:

That last one could work — backgammon is already pretty much a corridor shooter. Cover-based, even.

• mollemannen says:

jesus christ that would be an intensive game of backgammon

• pakoito says:

According to greenlight theres chess, chess + deathmatch, deathmatch, team deathmatch and conversion.

Gap Gen says:

5. Lemming says:

I’m posting here because I’m waiting for the inevitable post about the new Syndicate-type game on KS. I’m too giddy to hold it in any longer.

6. Zyx says:

1. d4

strangeloup says:

This looks quite interesting, in a decidedly weird way. I shall try out the demo!

Also, any game in which you can be told that “You lacerated Satan” (1:13 in the video) something something. Sorry, I forgot where I was going with that.

8. S Jay says:

Oh no.

9. Kefren says:

If the keep belongs to (or is inhabited by) the rook then there needs to be an apostrophe. Rook’s Keep. Tsk.

Otherwise it looks like a word is missing. “Rooks keep… what? Pooing on my nicely washed clothes as they hang on the line? Keep looking at me funny? Rooks keep on breaking my heart?”

• Kitsunin says:

I don’t actually think it’s wrong…Rooks Keep, as in a keep of rooks, not a keep owned by rooks. Similar to Coral Bay, or any other number of locations named after an object. It’s a little odd for it to be plural though, why not “Rook Keep”?

10. pakoito says:

So, Archon 2013. Cool cool cool. Count me in.

11. hideinlight says:

Been playing this game a lot lately, made a post about some of my thoughts here recently:

Was beginning to think I’m one of the only people into this type of game and aware of it’s existence.

Essentially this game is like Rune(with better combat), more depth , and bit of Savage. Running on an up to date Unreal Engine 3(UDK), in all it’s DirectX 11 glory and full mod/level making support. Options and customization reminiscent of Unreal Tournament, mutators like floating bodies/instagib etc
    Even Factions where you can make any combination of teams you can think of, want 6 teams with 3 bots each, well you can go up to 9 if you want to.

All of that with the option of playing Chess, and an Archon inspired mode.

Even has the option to play on good old offline LAN, which is great since reaction count counts in this game. Oh and you can host your own dedicated servers or just play with bots.

Yeah, I followed and bought this game for a reason. That and I want a game based on Ballistic Weapons.

• Zankmam says:

It’s a great game!

I wish, though, that there was a difference between the two factions – or at least the ability to toggle it on/off.

I mean, it’s fine that, for example, the Demoness and Queen are exactly the same, but it would also be cool if there was a game mode where they had slightly different abilities/stats.

I really hope that this game gets popular, either way.

• hideinlight says:

You can toggle it on/off. There’s an option called “Factions Characters Only”. Funny thing is it took me a week to notice that you weren’t limited to 4 team last man standing/deathmatch. (PS. Game was released on 14 June already).

Giving both factions the same skills just fits the game, since Chess is as equal as you can get.

Although since there’s mod support, and since the planning on releasing they source code (just like all Unreal Tournaments have done in the past).

You should be able to go nuts and do whatever you please, even give each individual team separate abilties/stats, maybe even import your own custom made pieces(characters). I once made a mutator in UT3 where both teams had different movement styles (one UT3 and other U2004) for the lols.

Gonna take me a while to get use to everything though , taking a few years break from UT3 and it’s editor and opening up the UDK for the first time in years, lets just say A lot has changed. It’s pretty overwhelming seeing all those buttons.

12. Liono says:

/ I wanna Rooks / Rooks to the chest /

13. The Random One says:

How is the difficulty curve? If I started playing toknight, would I be pawned and called a little bishop just because I’m a rookie and not fuking skilled? Also, uh, something about Freddie Mercury.

14. hideinlight says:

@The Random One

Well it has 8 difficulty levels, it starts at the second one by default which is pawn.
    The first match I jumped in, for which I ignored the tutorial and hints(3 mini pages) given at start of the match, I came second last.

After doing the tutorial, I came third place.

After actually reading the hints page I keep getting first first/second. That was after my 3rd game.

However when I tried to see how far I could go via 1 vs 1 a bot, I got stuck on Knight (only won one round out of six and just barely). But for that I had carefully allocate my points.

Knight is 5/8 difficulty although it’s easier when there’s lots of bots. Because then you can come in from behind. So you can make game extremely easy, challenging or just simply impossible.

There’s also an instagib option btw.

15. frightlever says:

FWIW, this game is part of the current Groupee’s build a Greenlight Bundle.