Morning Has Broken: Legends Of Dawn Out Now

By Adam Smith on July 1st, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

A few years ago, I realised I’d reached the point at which I found it easier to identify a specific foot-to-ball game in a crowd of its peers than a fantasy RPG surrounded by its own kind. Sparkling spell effects, armour-clad warriors and giant spiders are bound to make an appearance in the majority of RPGs and there’s very little difference between one frost bolt and the next. They’re blue and tend toward a shard-like after-effect. Legends of Dawn, which is out now, looks a lot like Tales of the Deeprealm or Myths of Arcaneface, but it does have a trailer that seems to have been assembled using a Burroughsian cut-up technique rather than conventional editing, and which ends with a lady suddenly shout-singing “THE DAWN HAS COME THE DAWN HAS COME”.

Apart from the Commendably Practical Armour at the end of the video and an excellent spider, there’s not a lot in there to make these legends stand out from the many others that involve hitting things repeatedly with a stick or a fire. The reception hasn’t been great but I haven’t played even for a minute and nor has anyone I know, so I can only point to ongoing discussions.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. trjp says:

They got off to a hideous start by releasing it on Steam without bothering to update their Kickstarter supporters – so Joe Public on Steam got copies before their backers did!!

Most of the feedback I’ve read is that the game isn’t really finished – it lacks some very basic stuff like ANY CLUE WHAT ANYTHING DOES – tooltips, hints, quest markers etc – all absent.

Other complaints range from a LOT of crashes (and lost progress) through slow movement and – well – I’d not touch it with yours atm.

Let’s see if the developers polish-up their comms skills and actually fix it eh?

• TormDK says:

Most of the stuff you list is a design decision though, it’s not meant to be there.

• trjp says:

It’s never a design decision to not tell people how to actually play your game

UNLESS

That’s the point of the game (there’s an iPad game I’m playing atm which does just that)

I don’t THINK that’s their plan here tho – I think they just released an unfinished game either due to time/money constraints or good-old-fashioned lack of talent.

• greywolf00 says:

It was by design.

“Part of the appeal of some old school games was figuring things our for yourselves.
          We like that and we feel that modern games are often too restrictive in guiding us through.
          Younger generations grew up with many such games so it’s understandable that many players may feel totally lost and may think that the lack of direction in LoD is an error. Legends of Dawn by design is open and doesn’t guide you much so it may not be the perfect game for inpatient players.”

Post goes on to tell players where to find the manual.

• trjp says:

I’m still calling bullshit – old skool RPGs would have had tooltips and tutorials and other stuff if they’d been invented then/had the memory/resolution to show them.

There’s plenty of other things in this which smack of an amateur job half-done – burying the rough edges with “it’s old-skool” doesn’t help it’s case

Neither did their treating their backers like shit.

• greywolf00 says:

Different designers have different ideas and different gamers enjoy different things. They aren’t the first recentlyish made RPG to go this route. Inquisitor caught a lot of flak for not holding hands either (though I can’t compare it to LoD as I haven’t picked LoD up yet).

Some gamers hate all the hand holding and 30 minute tutorials while others demand it as a basic required feature. To each their own.

• Caiman says:

@trjp Tooltips are pretty recent by gaming standards – what, 15 years or so? Back when I was playing early games on 8-bit and 16-bit computers, nobody knew what a tooltip was, nor a tutorial for that matter. Ok, a few games created tutorial levels that you could load, and these would help teach you the basics of the game, but generally you were dropped in the deep end. This of course was before gaming was a widespread and popular hobby. But some of us do miss those times, having fun discovering the game’s systems, occasionally gleaning the manual for hints and tips. These days games pretty much play themselves in the early levels, or their tutorials are so condescending that it saps all the fun out of them. That doesn’t mean this Legends of Whatever is actually any good, but I can see where they’re coming from with that approach assuming it was a conscious decision. The devs do have to put a bit more work in to guide players with subtle clues though, it’s not a free ticket to be obtuse.

jrodman says:

Games that old had hefty manuals, 30-60 pages long and chock full of necessary game info and tips. And players read them.

Does this have that?

• aepervius says:

Caiman *which* game are you speaking of ? I do not recall any complex game with dozen if not hundred of skills not having a manual like jrodman said. Even bard’s tale told you in the manual what the spells did. And oh boy did this game had a lot of spells. The only games I can recall which explicitly refrained to give you detail where the one with special stuff to do with boss fight. Druids might be one, but as far as I can tell it was panned by critics. Evil Island I think was similarly panned, but even that one had tool tip.

So what game are you comparing LoD to please ? And please make sure that’s a game where you have a lot of skills and none of them are explained to you in either manual or in the game.

In fact the only few games I can recall in the last 25 years which did have neither hefty manual nor explanation in game, were bad games. I can’t recall any good one leaving the player hang dry with no information whatsoever.

• Keyrock says:

The game plays like a beta, and an early one at that. All the components are there, but there is zero polish and it’s full of bugs. Some of the stuff can be fixed, some things can be added (I’m begging for more adjustable zoom and a camera follow option), but some of it cannot because it comes down to (poor) design decisions.

The game isn’t all bad, there are some good ideas in there, nothing earth shattering, mind you, however the implementation of much of it is poor. This screams of an inexperienced team that had a bunch of cool ideas (and one generic as generic gets “reassemble the legendary artifact to save the world” story) but not the experience to know what would work and what wouldn’t and how to implement everything in a way that would be user friendly. With that said, the game has a weird clunky charm to it, but I’m going to wait for a bunch of patches before I continue because there are so many frustrating issues right now that it makes playing rather painful at times.

2. waltC says:

Single-player, $16 RPG–what’s not to like? It does remind me of the fact that even in the greatest RPGs of late, like Skyrim, I sometimes miss parties (as in 5-6 other people aside from myself, etc.) No multiplayer is A-OK with me–I’m an SP guy anyway…but I know as much about the title as the author here…anyone actually played the game yet?

@trjp…interesting comments. You know, lots of people are waiting to see just how well the first round of KS games goes…not an auspicious start, apparently.

• Keyrock says:

The game I’d most compare it to is Divine Divinity in how it plays. It’s a pretty rough experience at the moment, though. This is a cake that needed to sit at least a couple more months in the oven.

• waltC says:

Speak of the Devil…I’m replaying DD at the moment. It’s much better now than it was when I bought it shortly after it originally shipped. Thanks for the comments!

3. kwyjibo says:

Thanks Kickstarter, this exciting and innovative bland generic RPG could not have happened without your $45k.

4. Jimbo says:

“I must find the missing parts of the legendary dismantled artifact…”

Legends of Yawn

5. aliksy says:

Also my posts appear to not be posting. Not sure if crazy, banned, or something else.
    edit: Ok, this one seems to be visible, but not my post about the game itself. (Summary: “Meh”)

6. realitysconcierge says:

Man this looks a lot like sacred. In this case- not very great. I know next to nothing so I could be judging a book by its cover though.

7. Radiant says:

Over the years my one take away from fantasy rpgs is that they NEVER live up to their covers.

Big tit farmers wives.
    Walking trees with fiery mouths.
    Horned wolves the size of horses.
    Killing a 3 headed dragon on horseback whilst on horseback.
    Riding a blue tiger into battle wrapped in snakes like a hindu god.

All this stuff never happens in game.

• Radiant says:

It only happens to me when I ejaculate.

• Triplanetary says:

They should do a Leisure Suit Larry game that’s a parody of fantasy RPGs. Then we’d be assured big-titted farmers’ wives!

• The Random One says:

That was a great first stanza for a Fantasy Tropes Rap.

8. casshern09 says:

Good lord, that trailer was awful. 3/4 of it spinning around a character, then showing the most boring looking action RPG combat I’ve seen in a while.
    I will nearly always give these types of games a try, but not this time.

strangeloup says:

So, the voice acting is as bad as I’ve heard.

On the plus side, it reminded me that I picked up Sacred 2: All The Everything Edition for a song on Steam a while back, and haven’t got around to playing it. This… I have heard nothing good about.

10. Highstorm says:

So I don’t get motion sick from games, but somehow this trailer made me both dizzy and nauseous…

11. pack.wolf says:

There is a thing with a mouth full of fangs for a chest. That seems impractical. Just felt like pointing that out, probably because I’m drunk.

12. elevown says:

Hmm- well, If it gets polished and patched i might get it after its price drops some- because unlike alot of these games it seems to come with a full editor- gui, scripting, graphics, maps etc etc- which would make it worth having maybe even if the game was bland.

13. ZephaniahGrey says:

This game is really pretty awful. Even beyond the lack of hand holding, the reality is this game was produced with really zero talent. The art direction is…nonexistent. The character models look awful, the textures are super low res, and there’s simply no style at all, no soul. To even begin to judge this game, you’d have to reach back over a decade into gaming history, and even then, it would just look bland. Moving past the graphics and art, it plays poorly. Combat is slow and dull, character interactions are limited to most just having a few lines of text (and feel free to steal from everyone, no one cares), and the camera controls and movement are so bad that they make just getting around the world painful chore. I regrettably backed this project, and now I can’t warn people enough to stay away!

• frightlever says:

Zero talent?

There does seem to be some anger towards the game after comparing actual gameplay with the kickstarter videos.

14. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I just wonder what those mutalisks were doing in that trailer. You know, the bit at the end, with the armies?

15. Hauskamies says:

Somehow I was sure this was about the EA moba, Dawngate.