The Mechin’ Of Titanfall

By Jim Rossignol on July 1st, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

It seems that EA, unconvinced that we press lackeys were going to pay enough attention to its games at E3, actually sent its own correspondents around to interview its developers. Thanks, EA! Now, if they would just review their own games we could all put our feet up and play some Dwarf Fortress… But I digress: Titanfall looks incredible. And yes, it’s basically going to be Call Of Duty with giant robots, but at the same time Call Of Duty was lacking giant battle suits, and futuristic exploding locales. So they’re fixing that.

There’s a lot more Titanfall footage below, thanks to EA’s Stephanie Prentice. Oh, and Nathan did interview the developers while he was there. We aren’t really that lazy.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. frightlever says:

Don’t talk to me about Dwarf Fortress. Fell back into that particular black hole last week.

2. GrassyGnoll says:

Great interview there.
    “Wow, your game looks awesome”.
    “yes”,
    “miniatures?”,
    “yes, that would be awesome”.
    “wow, awesome”
    “yeah, really”
    “so EA invented mechs”
    “yeah, awesome, we thought the looked like the ones out of that Matrix thing and so made them taller”
    “awesome, wow, that almost looks like they motion captured the scene where a man in a mech suite points up to the left from the last rubbish film and did it will larger robots”
    “yeah, awesome”
    “awesome”
    “thanks”
    “awesome, thanks”

3. Kollega says:

The art direction looks pretty boring. Of course, it’s pretty much the point – something grounded in “gritty realism” is what they want – but it’s still kinda boring. It misses good iconography, like for instance Helghast’s glowing-eye gas masks from the Killzone series, or heck, something like Freeman’s HEV suit and crowbar.

4. Velko says:

Perhaps it’s instead a Call of Duty with normal-sized robots and very very small humans?

5. ramirezfm says:

Does it look like Hawken or is it just me…

6. Tom Walker says:

I want to be playing this game right now.

I demand PC system requirements. I suspect upgrades will be in order.

• somnolentsurfer says:

Wondering whether they’re preparing to announce a collaboration with Valve on any major upgrades to Source, otherwise it should be fine on any moderately capable gaming rig. Which was a surprise.

• Psyke says:

Isn’t it just plain old Source Engine? Shouldn’t be too demanding then, unless they somehow got their hands on SE2, which I find highly unlikely.

I really hope they somehow magically nail the movement in that game and it won’t feel as spongy as every other Source game I’ve played.

• Tei says:

Its source but you dont know what changes could have done on the engine. It may have raised the required specs by two orders of magnitude.

7. Sparkasaurusmex says:

“Everyone gets everything.” (from Nathan’s interview)
    Please stop making games with this philosophy!

• Harlander says:

What do you mean?

• Squirly says:

He means that it’s a bad philosophy, especially for a team-based game that’s (supposed?) to emphasize different roles for each player/team. “Everyone gets everything” is boring and a shallow attempt to appease those who can’t be bothered to even try out different things in the same game.

8. The Random One says:

That headline pun was junk. I think you guys are getting rusty.

9. marsilainen says:

Isn’t hawken call of duty with big robots?

10. killmachine says:

will this game be on steam as well or just origin?

11. Fireflower says:

I think it looks awesome. :)

12. foda500 says:

This looks incredibly boring. What’s the point of having mechs if they’re just going to be giant humans with tons of HP?

13. studenteternal says:

Huh, I actually got a sort of pleasant SHOGO mobile armor division vibe out of that. Ludicrously oversize weapons being wielded by robots as small arms, check. Quick movement and game-play check, squishies teaming up to take down the mech colossus, check. Plus if course I am sort of cheering for re-spawn after all the drama. Will it be a brown\drab linear man-shoot, yes of course, but that doesn’t inherently mean its bad, after all that describes metro 2033/last light too. I am now cautiously optimistic.

Comment on this story