Adventure+Jumping = Adventurumping: Aaru’s Awakening

By Alec Meer on July 2nd, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

A platform game? Looking for crowd-endorsement? Well, I never. Next you’ll be telling me that the Duke of Wellington is sailing down Oxford Street in a sailboat made of licorice allsorts.

Lumenox’s Aaru’s Awakening is doing the Greenlight dance as we speak, but has a demo to support its argument that the people deserve a visually lavish, hand-drawn 2D platformer.

Here’s what it looks like. it has a sort of late 70s animation feel that for some reason made my brain reference Ralph Bakshi’s Lord of the Rings:

As for the game behind the art, we’re looking a dude who can charge and teleport, adventurumping through a world of light threatened by forces of darkness. The word ‘dreamy’ is used quite a bit in the official description.

A 200mb demo, in PC and PC-for-people-who-don’t-research-technology-purchases flavours, is available here. If you’re suitably charmed, make yourself known in the chaotic simulacrum of digital democracy that is Greenlight here.

, , .

1. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

This looks beautiful and the the developer seems self conscious in a cute way. The server hosting the demo file seems to have been RPS’d, however.

2. Jesus_Phish says:

Saw the word Adventure and a bunch of math symbols and thought this was for an Adventure Time game. How disappointed am I?

3. MacTheGeek says:

AdventuRumping.

Bom-chicka-wow-wow.

4. Phasma Felis says:

What’s with the knee-jerk Mac-bashing? I know more about programming than all you lot put together, and my last two laptop purchases have been Macs. Not sure if my next one will be yet, but it won’t be for lack of “research”.

(Oh, God, here we go)

jrodman says:

Its funny!

(okay, it’s not funny.)

• valz says:

… and now we can assume that any of us who does any programming knows more about programming than Phasma Felis because he made the moronic claim of knowing more about it than a bunch of nerdy strangers.

IF he happens to be like the typical Mac user, we now know why it’s okay to knee-jerk Mac-bash. Hopefully he’s not and there are some Mac users out there who have a clue.

5. Arrmand says:

It’s for PC and… PC? I don’t get it.