Avellone, Vlambeer, Tornquist, More In INDIE MEGACHAT

By Nathan Grayson on July 3rd, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Update: embedding fixed, and download links provided!

Rezzed was a time of magic and wonder. Indie developers of all shapes and sizes mingled with fans and each other alike, and it was nearly enough to make us all forget that we were trapped in Birmingham. Honestly though, it was a pretty strange scene. I mean, on one hand, there were devs like Vlambeer and Introversion – outfits who’ve been relatively small since day one – but on the other, folks like Obsidian‘s Chris Avellone and Dreamfall/Secret World creator Ragnar Tornquist roamed the halls. And yet, all of them could technically be considered “indie” nowadays. So I decided to gather a formidable panel of developers for an impromptu discussion about what exactly “indie” means, indie as a reaction to triple-A, the difference between bigger “born-again” indies like Obsidian and tiny outfits like Vlambeer, publishers, creative constraints, the film industry’s approach to similar issues, diversity, and heaps more.

Head past the break to hear Chris Avellone, Ragnar Tornquist, Introversion‘s Chris Delay, Vlambeer‘s Rami Ismail, and Redshirt‘s Mitu Khandaker chat about all of the things. All of the things.

Alternatively, download the MP3 file from here, or here’s an AIFF version if you prefer.

(P.S. Apologies for the audio quality in places. The chat was very impromptu, and it ended up taking place in a press room that rapidly vacillated between ghost town and bustling metropolis of reportage. Most of our talk’s audible, though. Ignore everybody else. They don’t love you like we do.)

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Extremely disappointed that this is not what I first read the title as, by which I mean “INDIE MEGAHAT”. I want to see an all-star panel of indie devs gathered together beneath one mighty, majestic hat.

• Ultra Superior says:

That’s a stupid idea.
      What, you think indie devs are just a bunch of clowns, to be humiliating themselves for your amusement?

Maybe you’re right.

• Perjoss says:

You could sell this idea to Valve, a large hat that 2 people could wear at the same time, it launches both players into a co-op mode where one person controls the shootyness and the other player controls the movement. A bit like a tank I suppose but without all the armour.

• Keyrock says:

If you pre-order Valve Mystery Game X (which is completely in no way shape or form Half-Life 3) you get an Indie Megahat to use in Team Fortress 2.

2. Crosmando says:

Hmm, pretty sure I have flash plugin but it wont let me play

3. gorkomatic says:

Don’t think that’s a problem with flash – I guess that this player cannot handle aiff files.

4. Hodge says:

It’s not working here either, but the audio can be downloaded from here.

(It seems that the 90′s nostalgia thing has spread to audio formats now)

5. AlwaysRight says:

Aiff in hell!

6. BooleanBob says:

Grass grows, birds fly and brother, I make cheap shots about Birmingham.

7. Tony M says:

Avellone, Ragnar Tornquist, Delay, Vlambeer’s Ismail, Khandaker. Your guests have the coolest names. I’m afraid RPS is totally outgunned: John, Jim, Craig… you used to have that Kieron guy but his name was too cool.

8. Lukasz says:

Goddmanit. can’t listen to the interview. too low quality for my ears and would have to really concentrate on it to fully get what they are saying (and rewind from time to time)

a transcript would have been awesome.

9. Edgar the Peaceful says:

That really needed a firm Chair (and I ain’t talking furniture). One guy talked endlessly and wouldn’t let the others in.

Comment on this story