Guncraft Has An Inspiration Or Two

By Alec Meer on July 3rd, 2013 at 10:00 am.

He looks nice

There’s something familiar about Guncraft. I just can’t put my finger on what it is.

No, wait, I know – I saw that exact shade of green in a restaurant bathroom in Worcester in 1994.

This voxel-based shooter, most excitingly featuring build-your-own-guns plus tanks and helichoppers, arrives on July 11. It has tanks and helicopters and oh for god’s sakes a dubstep trailer.

I want to build a gun that has fourteen barrels, twelve triggers, the phrase ‘What time is love?’ engraved on the side, makes a noise like a homeless guy eating a freshly-brewed Pot Noodle and fires wombats full of custard at people. Is that possible? It had better be, or I’m calling a boycott.

It’s also not shy about biting its thumb at its rivals, via the age old unjape of spoofing the I’m A Mac adverts:

Poor old Ace of Spades. I prefer his accent, though.

Guncraft recently successfully passed its Greenlight exam, meaning you can probably expect to see it mentioned in a black-bordered pop-up window near you soon.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Taidan says:

Talking of Worcester, (minor thread hijack…) as an ex-local you might be vaguely interested in: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rule32cafe-the-ultimate-geek-events-venue

2. Anthile says:

This is like watching one of those American infomercials where you constantly shake your head and wonder what kind of person would ever spend money on this but in the end you kind of want it.

3. Jekhar says:

While i don’t play either game, after these trailers i would certainly go for Spades, should i ever want to try the genre. They make the guncraft people seem like loathsome individuals i don’t want anything to do with.

• nebnebben says:

I would agree, while its one thing to tote your game’s features directly insulting other games with them is not very nice.

4. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Guncraft… Gunpoint. It’s obvious.

Also, I move that “voxel-based shooters” be renamed to “vooters”.

5. zontax says:

I just want Ace of Spades beta 0.54 back.

Crush the green dogs, all hail the Blue Empire etc etc.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Push the green swamp folk back into the sea. All hail the blue mountain people!

It was fun while it lasted, the steam AoS is so, so terrible.

• Pliqu3011 says:

This.

It was glorious. Making and sabotaging propaganda. Destroying eachother’s trenches and mountain fortresses. “Don’t Trust The Deuces”. Secret digging operations to remove all the ground underneath the enemy encampment to make it collapse. So many fond memories.

Are there really no servers up anymore for older versions?

• jorygriffis says:

Ugh, I miss it so much! I bought and played the Steam version for less than ten minutes and never touched it again. It seems like they simply didn’t understand what made their game fun.

6. Niko says:

I don’t get it – do developers/publishers nowadays put brostep in trailers ironically or not?

• Low Life says:

I think we’ve reached the point where, even when it is used ironically, we need to ask whether that was done ironically. In other words, was the music used ironically ironically or unironically ironically.

• Velko says:

Ordinary hipsters can be easily found by elimination: ask if they’re hipsters, if the answer is “yes”, they’re not. Metahipsters, on the other hand, are more difficult to spot, as this method no longer yields consistent results.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

The only way to truly determine if they’re metahipsters is to lock them in a box with a quantity of poison gas on a release device linked to a tiny quantity of radioactive material and radiation detector, then never open the box.

7. noodlecake says:

All this does is make me not want to buy the game. While the features sound good, trashing competitors like that isn’t cool, especially when you’re essentially just remaking their game with tweaks.

• Pich says:

trashing the direction that Ace Of Spades went should be approved and encouraged

• noodlecake says:

They did make a mess of it but trashing them is pretty petty. They just made some bad design decisions.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

Is this game going in a different way, or just the same way but “Better”? Can’t watch trailers at work.

8. lowprices says:

When I saw the title I was hoping it would be a game where you built shelter entirely out of guns. How disappointing.

9. kulik says:

Penis-guns!!! Penis-guns everywhere!!!

10. Artist says:

Imo, StarMade is the better blockbuilding game. Not sure why it doesnt get covered…?!?

• noodlecake says:

Agreed. Starmade is pretty sweet. I think it might be worth waiting till there’s a bit more content before looking at it though. It’s pretty bare at the moment.

11. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

I’m still waiting for a LEGOesque destruction derby simulator. No more fun could be had than building a tank and taking on an opponent!

Ooooooh, here I come crowdsourcing, it’s my idea and it may come to fruition, probably not buy your participation is the main thing!, it seems most people aren’t arsed if you get what in real life would be called scammed!

1st Tier Alpha build with flash advert
    2nd Tier An Alfa Montreal for me to restore

Give me your dollars!!

12. Syntack says:

It’s a bit unfair to try to compare it to Ace of Spades 1.0, as it’s lacking quite a lot of standard features. The classic version at Build and Shoot still has a lot of features and is very extensible. On top of that, it’s all community-oriented.

13. kumrigvk says:

Thanks for sharing useful information….

14. Text_Fish says:

I want to buy this game exactly as much as those PC/Mac adverts made me want to buy a Mac.

15. The Random One says:

Making fun of Ace of Spades at this point is like punching babies for fun. Does anyone still play it?

I did like the final Steam version. It actually had some diversity while mantaining balance. And trying to defend your base when the enemy dug tunnels under it was just maddening.

16. kzrkp says:

if only they put as much effort to making a good game as they do trash talking. like, more than not a lot.