Impressions: Infested Planet Beta

By Alec Meer on July 3rd, 2013 at 9:00 pm.

Oh, I do like an RTS where the odds are overwhelmingly in my favour. Which is not to say that I can’t get my scabby little bottom handed to me in Starship Troopersesque killathon Infested Planet, but it is such fun to be in control of five little men who can mow down 5000 little aliens without meeting their own maker.

A beta version of Rocket Bear’s top-down squad game is on Steam Early Access now, and while I’ve not played enough of it run headlong into any showstopper flaws or abrupt halts (all I’ve noticed is a few grammatical wobbles) I’m having a good time with what I’ve seen so far. While Heart of the Swarm meets tower defence is probably the best/laziest description, there’s perhaps even a touch of Cannon Fodder to it, though the emphasis is on epic massacres akin to Zerg battles rather than sudden skirmishes, but the beats of a small, fixed squad with limited armaments are in evidence. As are bloody thousands of bug things, which will regenerate endlessly and at the speed of bunnies on a steady diet of methamphetamine sandwiches until you manage to take out their bases.

Your five guys can kill at high velocity, but don’t last long if the aliens get into melee range, so it’s a matter of slowly creeping forwards as you spray murder in front on you, forever keeping the horde at arm’s length and striving to get close enough to take out the spawn points. More deadly foes such as turrets and bigger, uglier beasts do their level best to stop you, but meantime you slowly accrue helicopter strikes, shotguns, medics and assorted other tools of death and defence.

It becomes a little tower defence-y, in terms of you have a fairly limited pool of build points to share between unit upgrades, special attacks and buildings, but you can sell anything for a full refund at any time. So if your chaps are getting torn to pieces on the front line, you could flog a defensive turret back at one of your own spawn points, use the proceeds to buy a shotgun and hope the aliens don’t invade your home turf while you’re busy sowing heightened destruction in theirs.

The meat of the game, other than the crazy headcount, is in managing spawn points – capturing and defending as the indefatigable swarm marches here, there and everywhere. Your guys are deadlier than the average bear, but one thing they can’t do is sprint across the map at high speeds. Separating them into smaller or solo groups is viable, but take one soldier out and your ‘main’ group’s firepower is reduced by a fifth – often more than enough for the aliens’ weight of numbers to overwhelm you.

At the same time, I’d be lying if it wasn’t ultimately a bit of a power trip – it’s Aliens or Starship Troopers, but where the marines have the upper hand. The enduring pleasure of the game so far is seeing my tiny squad of grunts slowly but surely pruning back what initially appears an infinite, impossible rush of aliens into something manageable, until the point where, suddenly, you can see a few patches of ground and you’re safe to move forwards.

Underlying Infested Planet is, I think, a fairly clear-eyed sense of what is satisfying rather than what is necessarily highly strategic. (That said, I’m reasonably confident it’s gearing up to humiliate me in the later levels). That’s a difficult balance to strike, but so far Infested Planet gets it right. I am killing thousands upon thousands of aliens, but it feels as though I’m making smart decisions to do so, rather than that I’m just holding down a button, drooling and watching the bodies mount.

There’s also ongoing new toys and new types of devilry to contend with, so as yet the kill everything, all the time, then do it again formula certainly doesn’t feel exhausted. It does look a little samey throughout, and the alien types can be a little indistinct, but I’m not comfortable with haranguing it for that as it’s a mere beta. The important thing is that it’s found a formula and a balance which remixes a glut of RPS tropes into in a very immediate good time.

Infested Planet’s beta is available on Steam Early Access now.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Jim Rossignol says:

This was a cracking rts shooter-thing a while back, it will be interesting to see how it developed.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I found it to be excellent. It requires a lot of planning in terms of which order to tackle the nests, and things like mutations upset your plan and cause you to change your approach. You may have had success with rifles, but now you need to cover another entry point, so you either have to devote a soldier or precious build points to defence. And now the hives reflect bullets, so you need to use short-ranged flamethrowers on structures…

3. Durandir says:

Interesting, but I want a game from the other side. Where you control the aliens, with the aim of spreading across the galaxy, wiping out all other life. Like playing the Queen from Alien. Get on it internet!

phuzz says:

Play the Zerg in Starcraft? Or the Tyranids in Dawn of War?
      I’m sure there’s some others as well.

Or if you’re just looking for that mechanic of slowly turning the entire map your colour, may I suggest Eufloria?

4. DeFrank says:

You guys should have a look at Dungeon Dashers as well.

Mr. Florence would approve.

5. JarinArenos says:

Reminds me of the “Creeper World” tower defense/RTS games.

6. trjp says:

If it’s half-as-good as the (free) earlier game he did (Attack of the Paper Zombies) I’ll be in when it’s done.

It’s been in ‘Beta’ for a LONG LONG time tho – he offering people the old-fashioned ‘pre-order to get into Beta’ option about 2 years ago and then he got a job and things went very quiet for eons.

Nice to see it’s back on track tho – it’s quite unique at what it seems to do (as was AoTPZ) :)

• AlexVostrov says:

Yeah, I took a bit of a detour there. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

The good news is that I’m back on point – it’s getting shipped or they’ll find my corpse still clutching the keyboard, coding that one last update.

• RanDomino says:

Hey, I just want to say thanks for Attack of the Paper Zombies! I still crack it open every once in a while since it’s so damn satisfying to win an expert random map and it only takes a little while to play.

7. jonahcutter says:

Thanks for the heads up about this game. It’s fantastic.

I was just playing the Teleglitch demo and loving it. I stopped though, as I wanted to wait for the entire game to re-release so as to play it all the way through. So I felt a bit like a kid with a cherished new toy who has to set it aside to go visit some boring grown-up relatives.

Then you showed me this game.

Excellent, slower-paced RTS. And the kind of RTS I love. Small squads where tactical positioning is key. Smooth controls. Heaps of lovely gore and great sound effects. There’s lots of atmosphere in a small package here. This is closer to the RTS I always wanted from a WH40K game, and definitely scratches that itch.

Even with the slower pace, it’s not a game to sit back and cruise. There’s an increasingly relentless pressure. Things can start spinning out of control if you tunnel vision, and you have to break off smaller groups or individuals to contain new flanks. While trying to resupply and haul in some of the dropped resources. Feels like a nice mix between micro and group maneuvers.

It makes an excellent companion game to Teleglitch. Both have plenty of creepy, sci-fi survival-horror atmosphere. But where Teleglitch is fast-paced action, Infested Planet is slower-paced and tactical.

Great game. I’m really digging it.

P7uen says:

Can’t wait to try this, but am I the only person still genuinely longing for a Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy sequel?

Oh I am? Ok, carry on then.

• Niko says:

I’ve only read the word “Ascendancy”, now this is a game that should be properly remade!

9. Festus McGee says:

Terran OP.

10. wu wei says:

I picked this up back when RPS first mentioned it in 2011. Extremely satisfying, even in its constantly evolving state. Thanks for reminding me to grab the update.