Permission To Learn: Dota 2′s Tutorial Widens

By Craig Pearson on July 3rd, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

It's coming in to land.
Look at me, I’m a Dota 2 player! I just killed my first… Cara, is that a creep? Hooray, I killed a creep! And now I’m going to something something the other somethings. Oh, alright. You got me. I am a fraud. I’ve had Dota 2 on my PC for six months now, and all I’ve ever managed to do was watch a few matches and click around on the interface. It’s brick wall to me. A beautifully animated and intriguing brick wall, but nonetheless rather stubbornly impassable. But with Valve about to launch the game to everyone and anyone, they’ve just added an honest-to-glob tutorial, adding plenty more sections to the paltry single map that served as an introduction. Did Dota 2 just become welcoming?

Joining the Dragon Knight’s paltry introductory instructory is an additional six missions, walking through the first steps of the behemoth. It includes new map and mechanics that have been designed to lull the player into the complex mechanics of tower defense and the like. The final tutorial level is the first time new players will be able to play against humans, who have all just reached the end of the tutorial. I’d imagine this little group will be the most pleasant gathering of Dota 2 players you’re likely to meet. Who knows, perhaps one of those tutorial players will one day be included in a video celebrating magnificent lane, er, jams?

I’m going to give it a go. If it can introduce me to Dota 2, it can introduce anyone.

Alas, Dota 2 bot. Your time is nearing an end. Via PCGamesN.

, , .

1. Discopanda says:

I’ll need an emotional tutorial to prepare me for all the mean people on DOTA 2 before I could consider playing. Preferably one that dispenses hugs and fatherly advice.

• pakoito says:

Dota 2 is more like that abusive father that tries to beat a “tough men” into you.

• Synesthesia says:

Believe it or not, i’ve noticed the toxicity has gone down quite a bit the last few weeks, after the muting wave. Go valve!

• Squirly says:

Toxicity on the dota 2 discussion boards has gone up though with a bunch of loud, uncouth youths making a ruckus because they’ve been banned for “no raeson!”

• mechabuddha says:

I think you need Undertale.

• Marik Bentusi says:

Yeah I’ve been playing against bots for like 40h and read guides and actually played some LoL before and I’m still scared to actually complete the tutorial and play against humans.

I’m already kinda scared of actually having to dive into Multiplayer, but DOTA2 looks sooo interesting. But it’s soooo scary. So every time I boot it I just end up playing against bots. Which I mean is kinda fun, but actually difficult to lose and they just know a handful of heroes, so yeah.

For now I’m procrastinating until DOTA2 goes official and a ton of noobs join at once.

2. staberas says:

“Did Dota 2 just become welcoming?”

Dota in general is never welcoming…

• Chalky says:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure a tutorial isn’t what’s needed to make DOTA 2 (or similar) welcoming.

• staberas says:

Unless they added the “psychological toughening tutorial” , in which elitists players curse you and blame you for poor performance before they quit the game.

Which makes me think for some odd reason Hell’s kitchen.. :P

lowprices says:

Will the tutorial feature bots that constantly abuse the player every time the player does anything the bot wouldn’t do? It’d only be fair to prepare people for the warm, friendly atmosphere of most lane-pushers.

JR says:

ROAMING TO GANK SNIPER
      RETURNING TO LANE
      ROAMING TO GANK SNIPER
      RETURNING TO LANE
      I’M OUT

• jon_hill987 says:

“pushing mid.”

What? On your own? With all five enemy bots heading right down it in the other direction?

Damn I hate the bots, but they are necessary to get a handle on a new hero.

4. Captain Joyless says:

Most of the people talking about the “constant abuse” probably don’t actually play Dota 2. I haven’t seen abuse like that in a long, long time. In HoN? Absolutely. In Dota 1? Yep. In Dota 2? Nope.

I’m just going to call shenanigans on you people.

• GummyBearRapist says:

Agreed. Not sure about HoN or Dota 1, but for the most part the Dota 2 community is pretty tame compared to something like L4D2. After over 600 hours I’ve only encountered maybe a dozen of these people, and it’s usually when you are in low priority.

• InternetBatman says:

I’m a low skill player who mainly pubs. It’s one out of three games for me. For instance, the last game featured a carry who kept on publicly calling his team losers and berating us for not finishing the game quickly enough. Then he tried to get the player with the lowest k/d to leave so he wouldn’t have to take it.

Other joys are people who keep saying “meet me one on one in the middle.” Ping harassers (that one’s really common). People who say “you suck” constantly. Screamers over the microphone. That one overcontrolling nerd on the microphone whose voice is a constant unwelcome presence in your ear. People who run at towers once they want the game to be over. And people who just give up, but move their mouse every now and then so they’re not kicked.

It’s really, really common and really, really tiring. At this point I just want to buy Dota 2 with bots and never, ever play it online again.

lasikbear says:

Mute button is on the score screen and is a life saver for the pingers/whiny voice people. Come to think of it I should really check if voice chat has its own volume slider.

I have usually had it pretty good (and I am not good), including a few people who were very forgiving after.. a friend.. totally blew a teamfight with a terrible void ult. They offered some feedback, and were really encouraging when it went better the next time.

• JamesMean says:

It gets better, trust me. I used to have that problem (and being in Latin America makes it worse, dont ask me why, I don’t want to flame my own compatriots), but eventually outgrew them. If you really like the game but cant stand flaming, i have a suggestion.
        Step 1: Try to learn the basics (check Purge videos on YouTube, he actually has some awesome tutorials, and uploads pretty much daily, pub casts are a great series for beginners).
        Step 2: After getting the basics, play coop against bots. Its quite boring, but you can mute everyone and practice last hitting and get to know the heroes, but also this also serves another purpose, get wins, wich is important because:
        Step 3: Find cool people to play with. This one is easier, join a chat channel (purgegamers in my case, but you can join lots of channels), then if your profile doesn’t suck (as in you have 100+ wins, or they might not care about playing with you) it should be pretty easy to find team-mates and play as a 5 man stack. If a guy is friendly or particularly cool, add him to friends.

Trust me, if you like the mechanics, its worth it, I don’t play with flamers, afkrs or quitters anymore (well, sometimes, but its rare), it’s not even surprising when someone pauses if a guy on the other team disconnects and all chat is used in friendly ways.

jrodman says:

I’m going to suppose, entirely without evidence or a good backing argument, that the popularity of dumping on players from Brazil works to invite and encourage bad behavior.

Its my theory.

• WhiteHawke says:

These are goods steps to follow, but bot games do not add wins to your profile.

• Shepardus says:

Out of about 120 games so far I’ve only felt the need to report someone three times. Either I have a higher tolerance level than most people or it’s not as big of a problem as many people say it is. Also, it’s probably more common in lower skill-level matchmaking than higher up (though I’m not by any means skilled and it’s not so bad where I am).

Honestly the biggest problem I’ve had is with leavers. Rarely do I ever play a game where everybody actually sticks around to the end, and leavers really screw over the team. Also, recently I’ve been getting disconnected from games and am unable to rejoin, and the match never shows up in my match history. Not sure what’s causing this, maybe a server crash, but it’s quite irritating.

• Aaax says:

Yeah, it depends. If you play in the evening and get to somewhat higher skill bracket, community gets quite ok (I did not report once for about last 100 games). If you are just beginning and playing in the middle of the day, you will meet kid flamers on their smurf accounts.

5. Seafort says:

I’m a newbie to MOBAs and one of my first games in DOTA2 (coop mode vs bots) I was told that I was crap and should leave the match as I wasn’t helping anyone…so I did. Not been back since.

I play games for fun not to be told i suck and GTFO of the game.

So yes the caustic nature of MOBA still exists in DOTA2. Maybe if you play with your friends it’s different as you can learn together but playing with and against strangers is really shit :)

If the veteran players would actually support and give advice to new players the atmosphere might be a bit different but it’s not something I’m willing to give another chance to. I have plenty more games I can play. It’s not like I’m missing out on anything amazing. It’s just a team deathmatch game after all.

• Dog Pants says:

I play with friends against bots, or mixed human/bot with friends. We all suck so that’s fine, and we enjoy the game. If we feel the need we can always abuse the bots, and they just quietly take it. I did play one game against real people and they were perfectly pleasant (but also much better than us).

• Stupoider says:

If I had a dime for every time someone told me I was crap in a team based game (ahem; TF2, CS:S, Battlefield)

• maximiZe says:

First of all, a single match is not representative of anything. Secondly nobody is forcing you to give Dota another chance, but you don’t have any business whatsoever generalizing when your entire experience with the genre boils down to 30 minutes of play – “I’ve heard those ‘MOBA’ players were meanies” doesn’t count. This is the same uninformed opinion that keeps getting repeated by non-players over and over again, in fact just have a look at the first comments under this article.
      And thirdly it’s not a team deathmatch game.

• InternetBatman says:

You can’t say people who were willing to give the genre a chance and then left because of a caustic community are uninformed. It’s one thing to just repeat hearsay, but it’s perfectly valid to relate your own experiences.

There are hundreds of thousands of matches played weekly. Are your matches a significant fraction of that or statistically significant? Do you have any greater right to generalize?

• Seafort says:

You’re in a team and you’re killing people, right? Therefore team deathmatch :)

This was my experience of the game. It’s not overgeneralised as MOBAs over the years have a reputation for being unfriendly games to new and old players.

You can defend DOTA2 all you want but if it isn’t so caustic why has Valve introduced a system into the game to report people when someone is abusive to other players if everyone is so friendly and helpful and why are they introducing better tutorials if it’s so easy to get into.

The game has a steep learning curve and the players are no help whatsoever to new players IMO :)

• jackofcrowns says:

“You’re in a team and …. therefore team deathmatch :)”

This ignorance and stubbornness is very telling about the kind of person you are. I doubt anyone will be able to convince you of anything.

• MikoSquiz says:

..and people say the DOTA2 community isn’t toxic.

jrodman says:

Clicking report. Checking boxes: [x] Hostile [x] Content-free [x] non-productive.

• maximiZe says:

One person = the entire playerbase
            Players I don’t like of a game I don’t care for = homogenous, toxic community (“Phew, thank god I’m not one of them!”)

• almostDead says:

The objective of dota2 is not to kill your opponents though.

• WhiteHawke says:

I’ve actually seen a team win in Dota more than once with 0 kills. The game is not a deathmatch, although killing your opponent usually (99% of the time) helps you secure victory.

jrodman says:

A single match is completely representative of that player’s experience.

if it was a complete outlier then it would be fine because only one person would ever have reported it.

• Pantalaimon says:

“If the veteran players would actually support and give advice to new players the atmosphere might be a bit different”

Actually the veteran players of the Dota community are some of the most supportive towards newer players, especially the pro players or personalities. There is a vested interest in growing the game and that means they want to blood in new people and are often at pains to help educate them. The majority of content they put out on YouTube or streamed via Twitch is educational. They quite literally do nothing but play games or produce content every day, and all of it contributes to the community, such as it is.

To be honest, the real bad eggs of the scene are few and far between, they get probated and banned and they are no worse than any players you will find in other games.

The difficulty with Dota compared to other games is that it’s relatively difficult not to make mistakes, mistakes can be punished quite severely (in game terms), and being that you’re one person in a game of ten – and a team of five – people will notice your mistakes (and call you out on them). Like any competitive game, learning from mistakes, and toughening up in order to handle yourself in matches is a large part of where the enjoyment stems from. Whilst it’s absolutely fine to be turned off at first glance, it probably requires a certain determination going in to stick it out beyond the first 50+ games.

On the flipside, those moments where you do something heroicly awesome are plain for all to see. It’s not like quietly capturing a point in an FPS like Battlefield 3, where nobody notices or cares (even if you nearly killed yourself doing it and it wins the game) – nearly everything you do in Dota matters and when you play well everyone knows it.

I think most Dota players will talk of the satisfaction they have had at various points learning and playing the game, when they could look back and recognise just how much they’ve progressed. It’s kind of a unique experience of trials and tribulations, as well as frequent highs, and I can’t really say it compares to any other videogame.

• liq3 says:

This exactly. The feeling you get when you pull off an amazing play, or an amazing game, is just great.

• joker101 says:

You have softer skin than tissue paper and you won’t be missed. If you can’t handle mean old words over the internet, then what are you doing playing online games? You ran into a few bad apples, so you tuck tail and run? Sounds logical.

“It’s not like I’m missing out on anything amazing.”

Perfectly said by someone who barely played the game. Just so much insight right here, people.

• Conza1723 says:

To be honest, and not with the intention of making you upset; Dota 2 does require a bit of competitiveness (is that a word?). I have well over 400 wins now and the thing that got me through the awful low skill level matching was not so much the mentality of “I play games to have fun” but “I have fun when I win”. Sadly I have friends like you who could not get into Dota 2 because they just lack that competitive urge. Though it is not fair to just it when you only play one game, maybe the game just isn’t for you.

6. Syra says:

I played a lot of smite in beta and I watched this video and I was like…. what is even happening here.

I don’t think this is for me. Tutorials ain’t gonna cut it.

7. Nova says:

Great, still no afk detection/penalty in the final then.

• pakoito says:

Report penalties have been harsher lately but yeah, this is still a major problem along with matchmaking pairing people from different skill levels.

• Pantalaimon says:

There is afk detection, it’s simplistic but it’s pretty brutal. If you don’t gain xp once every five minutes you’re detected as afk and you get an abandon. For some people one abandon is enough to put them into low priority where they play with the other naughty kids, usually it takes several.

Unfortunately there are legitimate circumstances where you might not gain xp in five minutes though they’re kind of rare, and the game doesn’t care if you’re moving or talking during that time.

• Nova says:

They get an abandon, really? But they stay in the game, and do not get kicked, huh?

8. Phendron says:

The biggest problem with MOBAs is that so much of your enjoyment and success is dependent on the performance of your teammates, so it’s only natural for tempers to flare when you someone doesn’t pass muster.

In a team play fps, when someone on your team dies, that’s 10 seconds without them on the map and business as usual. In DOTA, when someone on your team dies, the enemy gets a gold and exp bonus, your teammate gets a gold and exp penalty, and they have a significant amount of time not on the map to apply pressure.

The best solution to getting along with your teammates in DOTA is to never ever die. Stay at the fountain if you have to.

The Sombrero Kid says:

But Dota 2 already has a tutorial, it’s called League of Legends. lolololo_ol

10. almostDead says:

I watch a lot of dota 2, but I can’t play it. It’s way too complicated, and I buckle under the pressure of all the different things going on.

I enjoy watching it a great deal.

11. noilly says:

The mute button is your friend. (go to the scoreboard, click on the “sound” icon for the appropriate player). You can also report people for communication abuse and if they receive enough reports, will be globally muted for some period of time.

12. BAshment says:

STOP………..AUTO……………..ATTACKING………….. CREEPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. BowelSoldier says:

For all of you who are having problems with solo playing, we do have a Rock Paper Shotgun group for those casual players among you!

Casual Dota Chums is a group of people who regularly meet via the RPS Mumble server and play together. We avoid having to deal with random griefers, and enjoy good games together (mostly) without taking ourselves too seriously or worrying too much if we lose.

The steam page at http://steamcommunity.com/groups/casualdotachums hasn’t been updated in a while, but we’ve recently moved onto the in-game guild system. Talk to Micro Piglets, Duff or Prismatic on Steam if you want an invite, or you could also contact Barghaist, Krig, SomeGuy or Gromit. Well, or just contact myself (BowlSoldier) and I could try to set something up.

The guild allows us to talk using the in-game text chat, and set up games, but you could just skip all that and jump onto Mumble and see if anyone’s in the “Looking for Group” channel. No guild invite required, anyone’s free to hop on!

The tutorial means there’ll probably be a lot of new players, and we’d be happy to have a couple games with you all to get you on your feet. Give us a shout sometime, so you don’t have to deal with the vitriol this game can sometimes produce.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

So Beastmaster’s day job is waving aircraft in to land?

15. 1Life0Continues says:

I want to play. I want to learn. I want to enjoy.
    I don’t want to be attacked for not being perfect the first time I play.
    I’ve played against bots and even they kicked my ass. I don’t understand the store, or the build orders.
    I’m the type of person that benefits from being tutored. From being given options and then having my choices explained to me in a way I can understand.
    This is why I haven’t played a game in months.

• Low Life says:

They added a great guide system for the game – even the highest rated guides rarely teach you how to play the character but at least they give you item choice and skill order suggestions. The very best ones explain the choices and give you some idea of what you should be doing. Guides can be activated from the book icon in the top left corner.

• maximiZe says:

Every newcomer should read this: http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

The new tutorials should be coming to the main client this evening, but they’ll be very basic I think. The only way to learn is to play. I guarantee you that you won’t be the worst player in your first real matches. You won’t meet any veterans or the like who’d criticize you for dragging them down. And if you run into any trashtalkers, the mute button is your friend (speaker icon in the scoreboard).

That being said, today’s update will also bring the new “limited hero mode” in which only a selected group of rather simple heroes is playable. This might be for you, although you’d have to see if there’s enough people playing the mode.

• Dimitar says:

The best way to learn is to play with friends who know the game. It is much easier when you’ve been explained why you are doing something and they can also teach you some dirty tricks that usually come to your mind after a lot of practice.

16. starmatt says:

Tired of the mean people? Join the RPS Dota 2 guild, “Rock, Paper, Stun Now!”
    Join us on mumble or hang out in the Rock, Paper, Shotgun channel ingame, or whatever.

gl hf

• Koojav says:

There’s also RPS’ Casual Dota Chums, with quite a few members, for those more casual chums ;)

17. nimzy says:

I played the Warcraft 3 mod for years. It’s been rather disappointing to see what’s become of it since.

• Koojav says:

Right, this whole thing with genre’s flag title being bought by a known developer/publisher and being ported to the new engine is truly awful.

Also don’t forget about e-sport aspect of this title, only mad men would think that pumping milions of dollars into marketing campaigns would make a renowned e-sport title out of a mod.

I’m 100% with you, competitive mods should be available only to the Superior Mod Scene Race, dirty casual peasants should stick to Plants vs Zombies.

18. brucestallion says:

watching this game makes me feel like Grandpa Simpson. I have no idea what is going on.

19. whirlingswirl says:

There is a good guide site for learning called Alt-Tab Dota, and a polish version Dota 2 Poradniki, that I recommend for everyone that want’s to try and learn about all the different heroes and things they can kill you with :)

20. Kyir says:

DOTA’s community is no more toxic than League of Legends’.

21. CallMeKing says:

I get where people are coming from but seriously the Dota 2 community isn’t that bad at all if you know what your getting into. So I’ll share my story quickly. I started off knowing Dota 2 had a steep learning curve but I didn’t care. I played about 20 matches and did fairly well in some games and in others I was just feeding the other team. With that I took a step back and went to the guide “Welcome to Dota 2, You Suck” on steam, watched the pros play and studied what they did and how they built there heroes, and practiced all this against bots. Then I went back to pubs and destroyed the competition. Now I have a team and I’m damn good at some heroes. What I’m getting to is, as long as you know Dota 2 has a steep learning curve, read some guides, and practice against bots you’ll do just fine. So either quit the damn game or put some time into LEARNING it.