Cloud Gaming: Final Fantasy VII On Steam

By Adam Smith on July 4th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

As I browsed through the list of new releases on Steam this morning, a blaring midi tune began to belch its way into my brain. The screen flashed – a random encounter! Final Fantasy VII had unexpectedly appeared, a comically large sword thrusting from the screen and carrying with it promises of a seemingly endless slog through a bloated story with precisely one memorable scene. Yes, you know the one, when Aerith reveals that she’s actually a robot the gang of heroes clamber up what seems like a hundred identical stairwells, quipping in blocks of blue text that do not appreciate the value of comic timing.

The price is £9.99.

, , .

1. Crosmando says:

Don’t buy, game is apparently infected with Square’s DRM viruses

• Chalky says:

What’s the additional DRM in the steam version?

• Crosmando says:

You need to make an account on SE’s website and log-in when you play it.

• Emeraude says:

So it’s OK when Valve does it, but not SE ?

• pupsikaso says:

No, it’s not ok to have to go to some outside website, register there and use that ON TOP of your steam login in order to play the game.

• Kadayi says:

The sheer tyranny of having to register at a website

• Drake Sigar says:

For a game over a decade and a half old? It’s sacrilegious.

• solidsquid says:

If this is the same DRM they had on their own digital download system it also limits the number of installs you can do and is glitchy. Ended up getting a refund on mine after it started arbitrarily deciding my hardware didn’t match what it was installed on and force me to use up another one of the install credits

• Emeraude says:

As much (if not more, at least I find so) Valve’s fault for the way they designed Steam as much as Square’s for not making two version of their games: one which can eventually be sold outside of Steam and needs an SE account login, and one that doesn’t for Steam.

Personally, I find both to be as unacceptable really.

• The Random One says:

It’s not OK for either, but when I do it anyway for Valve, and buy something there, and then have to do it again for Square, that’s taking the piss.

• MadTinkerer says:

Hmmm… Well in this case I already have a SE account, so I’m not complaining. But only for practical reasons. I’m still not not complaining for moral reasons. :)

Think I’ll just dig up my old PC discs and fiddle with DOSBox to make the original port work again.

• mwoody says:

Thank you, saved me from a purchase. This lapse in their judgement is particularly onerous with Ubisoft’s identical system so recently hacked.

• mechabuddha says:

The Square login allows cloud saving, achievements, profile comparison, and automatic updates. Essentially what Steam does. Why is this a problem?

• Proximity says:

It’s a problem because we tolerate one, Steam in this case (especially Steam, since it’s proven itself to be remarkably unobtrusive over the years), but this game mandates being subject to two, both Steam as well as Square-Enix’s.

• Emeraude says:

So Steam has a defacto monopoly, and nothing a competitor can do will eat at its market share as a service platform ?

More serious edit:
            Steam is the shop and service provider. If a publisher or buyer wants to use the shop without using the service infrastructure, only Valve can decide to provide that, thus the onus is on them I’d say.

• MattM says:

I think gog does an excellent job of competing with steam.

• Leandro says:

Let’s have user log in to THREE websites, then!

What Valve does is tolerable, and only because they have a big monopoly and diverse library. Doesn’t make it alright to pile up this sort of crap.

• UncleLou says:

Just one reason, amongst many, for starters: with Steam, I need one account and password for 98% of my games library. If every individual publisher wants me to have an account as well, the number of accounts I need increases exponentially.

And as you already said: Steam does all this, the game is on Steam, so why would they need to double the functionality?

• Lemming says:

Steam already does that, so this is just giving out your data to another company, for no customer-related benefit.

• Brulath says:

There’s a reason the DRM is bad: If you disconnect from the Internet when you’re opening a save point, you won’t be able to save the game again until you quit and restart it; that was a frustrating-as-hell discovery and led to me abandoning it entirely.

Forced cloud saving to enforce DRM is idiotic.

• Joe-Gamer says:

You guys didn’t get the memo? It’s an MMO now…

2. Enef says:

Bought it on the Square Enix store when it was originally re-released, hoping they give out steam keys for it :x

• wu wei says:

I don’t understand this attitude. If you buy a product from one retailer, why are you entitled to that product from a different one?

• logizomechanophobe says:

Considering the product doesn’t actually ever reach the consumer, simply a license to use a service through which to use the product, I think this user is hoping that said license will be extended to the new platform the service is being provided on.

I don’t think that’s too outlandish a thing to hope for, but I also don’t think it’s likely to happen.

3. Premium User Badge Cinek says:

From Steam: “Optimized for PC – FINAL FANTASY VII has been updated to support the latest hardware and Windows Operating Systems.”
    - *looks at the screenshots* – buahahahahahahahahahaa

• rockman29 says:

It looks better than that when you play it for yourself, and turn AA/AF on in a graphics control panel.

I prefer the PS1 version though. I like the smoother shading and much better framebuffer effects, and on ePSXe it’s as sharp if not sharper than the PC game. The only thing it lacks that the PC version has is Z-buffering.

• aliksy says:

Not only is this a shittier version than you’d get playing on an emulator, mentioning this on the steam forum apparently means a ban.

Fuck square, and probably fuck the steam community guys who made it a bannable offense to talk about this.

• Premium User Badge jrodman says:

The steam community guys are promoted non-employees with a weird deputy complex. No one is allowed to question certain things that it’s unclear why the deputies decided can’t be questioned.

There’s no real followup on checking up on their little mob mentality.

• RvLeshrac says:

That’s because playing it on an emulator isn’t fucking legal. Why is it so difficult for you insufferable, entitled little shits to grasp that?

• testaxc says:

First read this:
            Then this:

Then eat shit and die. Please kill yourself. Thanks.

Good luck arguing with the law, you stupid motherfucker. There isn’t even room for alternative interpretation here.

• Douchetoevsky says:

eyyo, testaxc , you don’t need to be a huge fuckin obnoxious prick to post on the internet. It’s pretty cool to be nice to people, or at least not go out of your way to be a jerk.

Also emulating is totally on sketchy legal grounds and it’d be pretty pedantic to argue that. Like, how many people emulating FFVII go out and buy a copy versus downloading a rom. Steam’s forums are not the place to discuss pirating software, and it’s absurd to cry about it.

• The Random One says:

Regardless of the amount of jerkiness displayed, buying an old PS1 FFVII CD and emulating it on your system is as legal as buying it on Steam, and one is not allowed to mention that, or that one finds the former to be a superior experience.

• valz says:

testaxc and Douchetoevsky: Wait, you’re arguing that using the legal, crappy FF7 emulator I can buy on Steam is a better idea than putting the PS1 CD I already own into my computer and using the legal, good emulator I can get for free?

Piracy is not connected to this topic.

• MellowKrogoth says:

For out of print games (or out of print versions of a certain game), I’d argue that copying them isn’t only morally justifyable, it’s almost saintly. You’re archiving the culture of the past for future generations. Only a huge number of copies will ensure that digging up a 1:1 copy of an old Playstation disc will be easy in 20, 30, 50 years. (Since corporations are more concerned with selling you their slightly remastered version than making proper archives available.)

Of course I also advocate supporting the company whose games you’re playing, in one way or another.

• Premium User Badge jrodman says:

Speaking of deputy complexes and mob mentalities.

I just finished playing through the first CD of ff7, the psx version, that I took down off my shelf in order to play in a fully legal emulator with a fully legal rom image that I made myself from the psx that’s in my closet somewhere.

I’m so tragically sorry that I got a superior experience than I would from rebuying it. Which I would have if it wasn’t documented to have a number of flaws, from inferior music, to weird permanently open mouths on the models to some clumsy DRM.

• aliksy says:

Why don’t they just sell an emulator and roms? I can only assume they hate all that is good in the world.

• lordcooper says:

Eh? That just means it’ll run on modern hardware, not that they’ve made it into a HD remake.

• tyren says:

Don ‘t forget that since this is a rerelease of the old PC version with no changes, you’re stuck with terrible MIDI music and sound effects instead of those that were on the PSX disc.

4. Deathmaster says:

Am I the only one who gets nauseous whenever any FF title is mentioned?

5. RobinOttens says:

Hurrah, one of my favorite games arrives on yet another platform, now I can buy it a third time! Which I won’t probably, not anytime soon anyway. It’s nice to see this game escaped Square’s own digital storefront and made it onto steam though.

Also, you are wrong Adam Smith, so very much wrong a lot.

• darkath says:

However bad this re-release is, or the PC port, for that matter, my opinion of RPS dropped by 1 for this article (it is now at 8999)

Mr Smith clearly display a lack of good taste, and might even try to go along with the recent Final fantasy hate going on these days.

• solidsquid says:

Eh, the main selling point for FF7 was the 3D graphics, the game itself wasn’t all that great. Personally I find that 6 aged much better, with 9 being the best of the 3D ones (harkened back to the original Final Fantasies more than the CG realism attempted in others and had characters you actually liked somewhat)

• darkath says:

I beg to differ. FF6 was remarkable, and you are right, probably the best of the 2D ones (although 4 has a special spot), and FF9 was also great, and probably the best of the 3D ones.

But FF7 in addition to 3D, brought unprecedented layers of complexity and depth, as the limit break system, the materia system, and the piles of unique mini-games (some were tedious, but still), side-quests, side-bosses, secrets, etc. that gave the world of FF7 its uniqueness, and the adventure its lenght and epicness.

Storywise FF7 fares quite well among the other FFs and despite the cyberpunky departure (which was not so surprising after the steampunky FF6), retain many elements of the series (unlike FF8 which was complete nonsense).

• Syra says:

8 is the only one I like? The big headed doll things were gone, the characters were more than completely one dimensional and squall actually had an element of the hero’s journey to him. If that makes it nonsense then fair enough, i clearly think the norm for FF is crap games (which I do!)

START THE FANBOY RAGE HERE:

Also I have now left this thread forever.

• darkath says:

I didn’t say i disliked 8, but the universe in 8 is absolutely nonsensical (starting with, as a poster said elsewhere “college students in a military school waving gunswords around going on a field trip to catch invocations”). The art of FFVIII was amazing at the time.

• MasterDex says:

I logged in to say something similar. The sheer level of hate from some people for the Final Fantasy series is mind-boggling. Usually, when I find I don’t like a game, I leave it at that but with Final Fantasy, it seems, everyone has to share their opinion, which unfortunately usually means “I feel sick whenever Final Fantasy is mentioned” or “The game has an awful story, only one memorable scene!” even though anyone that’s played through the games could mention several, many of which I find hard to top with other scenes from more modern games.

Or are we really going to say that Mass Effect’s “I’m Commander Shepard and I endorse this store” was really any better than Cloud cross dressing to enter a brothel?

• Kentauroi says:

Video game storytelling deserves an apology for implying that the only alternative we have for FF7 is Mass Effect. If that were true I’ d probably just start sticking to Super Hexagon and Tetris.

You’re pretty much countering his statement that there was only 1 good moment with your statement that the game was full of them. Kinda pointless, since you’re both talking subjective experiences. I do agree it has more than one good moment, but I don’t think it’s a game that has aged well, either in gameplay or story.

• MasterDex says:

I don’t think I need to apologize considering that Mass Effect is one of the modern game series that people like to hold up as a pillar of good storytelling in games. I also wasn’t implying that Mass Effect is the only alternative to FF7. I merely drew a (rather light-hearted) comparison.

And yes, I’m not pretty much countering his statement. I’m very much so countering it, and I daresay I’m doing so on objective grounds rather than subjective ones. The fact of the matter is that FF7 is filled with memorable moments. Note I said memorable however, as many of those moments, as memorable as they may be, were janky or cheesy or full of angst and corn. Yet they were memorable, not subjectively but objectively. It isn’t a case of “Wow! I really like this bit of the game!”, it’s a case of “Wow! I’ve never seen that in a game before.” or “I’ve never done that in a game before.”

Sure, looking back over a decade after its release, it’s easy to criticize much of the game as cliched, etc but if you’re old enough to have played through the game when it was first released, I’m sure you’d agree that, objectively, Final Fantasy VII was a great game for its time and has many memorable moments, many of which have yet to be topped and hence why it still carries such a strong sense of nostalgia for so many people.

Finally, I’ll say that I believe it’s very hard for a game, any game, to age well. For some it’s easier than others, platformers and fighting games for example. For others, like RPGs, Strategy and FPS, it’s so much harder. The complexity we can achieve, the immersion we can create, the gameplay we can hone – it’s all far more advanced than what the developers of Final Fantasy VII, etc could even dream of having.

• bigjig says:

Agree there – the amount of hate FF7 gets is ridiculous at times. Is it a perfect game? No, but it’s a damn good one. You could pick apart archaic design decisions from any game from over 10 years ago (Deus Ex enemy AI/aiming system for example). I don’t really know why it’s such a sticking point with FF7 in particular.

6. MuscleHorse says:

£10. Have they improved the old PC’s version sub-par midi of the PS’ superior music at least for that stupid price?

• RobinOttens says:

I think there’s mods for that. Just as there are mods to upgrade graphics and things. But they won’t work on this newfangled ‘updated’ version probably.

• MuscleHorse says:

Urf. I remember spending hours trying to apply those years ago on my old boxed copy. Which I then went and sold for £60 to a maniac.

• RobinOttens says:

Ah, well I never played the game with mods to begin with. Well, that one fan patch to fix some chocobo racing bug. But I’ve stuck with the Playstation Store version ever since then. So I take it there’s no handy all-in-one super mod that’s easy to install and whatnot?

• MuscleHorse says:

Well, like I say, it was quite a while ago when I last tried any such patch. I’ll wait till this is at least 75% off in some future sale and have another go, I’m sure.

• Premium User Badge Malcolm says:

Hmm… seems £30-£50 is the going rate on ebay… Time to go digging in the loft!

• Snidesworth says:

You’d think they’d add in better quality music for a re-release, given it already exists. Last time I checked the mod to add in non-midi music essentially involved muting the in-game MIDIs, playing the music outside of the game itself and failing to acknowledge the game telling it to stop playing music during certain parts. Not exactly a selling point there.

• Premium User Badge RedViv says:

Nope. Get the Anxious Heart patcher, it should be easily locatable through Google, and is compatible with the 2012 re-release.

• tyren says:

As far as I can tell Anxious Heart doesn’t do anything about the sound effects.

I got as far as the scene after escaping the intro “dungeon” before a fire raging in the background making crackly noises that sounded like my speakers glitching out made me go “no, screw this.” I even youtubed a let’s play just to be sure the original sound effects weren’t that terrible.

• mechabuddha says:

I tried that, as well as the graphics mods. Follwed the instructions exactly, but can’t for the life me get any of them to work.

7. Chris D says:

I could tell you how wrong you are (A lot) but I don’t suppose that would convince you. If only there was a series of letters, written by two respected games journalists, on this very subject.

Oh wait. Here’s one now:

• Shooop says:

If the best you’ve got is just someone saying, “Hey it’s good because… It’s good man! It’s good!” then point, match, and game to Adam – that if he hadn’t already had won them.

• MasterDex says:

You clearly didn’t read the letters, man. Stop with the false representation of them. The letters are quite clear as to why the writers thought Final Fantasy VII received/receives the praise it has/does.

• Chris D says:

No, it’s not the best I’ve got but I wasn’t really trying to make an argument at all. It was a link to an article I very much enjoyed about a game I also very much enjoyed, by way of a mildly humorous framing device.

If you did want to read an argument you could do a lot worse than following the link though. I don’t expect it to make you enjoy it if you didn’t but it might at least show you what so many people do see in the game.

• AlwaysRight says:

I also do not understand all the FF7 hate, seems to be trendy nowadays. Heres another article explaining why it was actually a good game.

For me a great joy of games is discovery, and this game had a huge amount to discover. It may not have aged well for some, but when it was released it absolutely blew my mind how much was going on.

It is easy (and fun) to rip the piss out of it though, especially if you hold quality of writing above all the things mentioned in the link.

(Rab described final fantasy as “100 hours of miraculous life wasted on the adventures of a whining 14-year-old sap with a sword-gun, with character designs by a Japanese paedophile.)

8. rockman29 says:

Damn… might have to buy this… too much love for this game.

“I can’t imagine that anyone who wants to play with this particular set of bobble-headed stat-dolls hasn’t already spent the requisite four thousand hours of their life to see the adventure through, but perhaps I’m wrong. I also can’t imagine anyone ever wanting to play through the whole damn thing again even if they did like it, but perhaps I’m wrong there as well. Do be sure to tell me exactly how wrong I am.”

GTFO! Heathen…

• frightlever says:

I played through the original PC version twice. The ORIGINAL PC version. Patched up, obviously, but even so. Brilliant game but… I don’t think I have another play through in me. All that unskippable animation when you summoned during combat… bleargh.

Played FF8 for about ten hours and gave up on it. Never looked at another FF game. But FF7 was something special.

9. Soulstrider says:

I have been meaning to play a FF game forever, I guess I might buy this if it goes on sale.

• RobinOttens says:

Yep, it’s a good enough one to start with. As long as you’re not put off by the primitive graphics.

• T4l0n says:

if you don’t mind the pixelated 2d snes graphic you should really play ff6, it’s the best ff ever made

• valz says:

Agreed, up to 9, at least. I haven’t played the ones after 9. 6 is great. Chrono Trigger is even better though, of course.

10. GameCat says:

This makes me want to replay Final Fantasy IX (9, nine) which is IMO the best Final Fantasy ever.

• Lemming says:

You are correct, sir.

• Premium User Badge RedViv says:

The Best That Is As Intended, aye.
      The Best That Could Have Been And Only Shows So Occasionally Because Squeenix Main Are Dumb Wanks is FF12.

• rokahef says:

Erroneous! Erroneous on both counts.

FFX was the best Final Fantasy.
      The End.

• solidsquid says:

Not so, in fact Final Fantasy 6 was the best final fantasy game. 10s characters just felt forced, and the levelling system was bizarre and cryptic

• RobinOttens says:

No. No XII (12, twelve) is the best one. That is subjectively true.

• lowprices says:

I’d suggest that 10-2 is the best Final Fantasy game, or at least the best Game That Will Do Until Somebody Makes An Actual Charlie’s Angels RPG.

Edit: Or Final Fantasy Tactics. That’s the Actual Best.

• Jenks says:

Obviously 7 is the best, but I will slap on a hipster facade and say the best final fantasy is a tie between 6 and 12.

11. Isair says:

Also priced at $11.99 and €12.99. On the bright side, at least they didn’t assume euros=dollars for once.

• rokahef says:

Yeah – it’s even worse than before. Now it costs even more Euros.

12. The JG Man says:

“Aerith reveals that she’s actually a robot”

Ha. Clever!

• Premium User Badge RedViv says:

I don’t know, should we even avoid the spoiler that she is a robot from the supposedly evil main planet, destined to become the next world-destroyer in a twist of time travel, but actually embracing her fate to become a white paladin in the second act? Should be trivial common knowledge by now.

13. Dowr says:

Isn’t FF7 the one everybody likes so damn much? Or does everyone hate it now? I’m confused.

• RobinOttens says:

Rabid fanboys breed rabid haters. Adam Smith seems unimpressed by the game. General consensus seems to be that it’s not the best in the series, somewhat overrated, but still pretty good. I like it a lot.

• boe2 says:

It’s the one people love to hate because it’s the most popular one. You know, the whole hipster sentiment. If you hear people talking about FF7, ask if they ever got out of Midgar. If they haven’t, they got no rights dissing this game :)

If you haven’t played FF7, give it a try. Despite what the newsposter is insinuating, it has a REALLY good storyline, told in a really awesome way. Also, you actively participate in a bitchslap fight somewhere in the latter half of the game. I don’t think any other game ever did that.

Do try to get the PSX midi soundboard, the (absolutely brilliant) soundtrack was made for exactly this.

• Skabooga says:

Funnily enough, once I got out of Midgard, I started steadily liking the game less and less, right up until the point about midway through where I just stopped playing it.

• solidsquid says:

I got out of Midgard and right up to the point I could enter the crater, but found that the third disk seemed to more or less consist of grinding for the final boss. The story which had started strong at the beginning had waned during the second disk and basically disappeared in the third

14. Premium User Badge Lars Westergren says:

Part of my very short love affair with console JRPGs. It was this and Suikoden 1 basically which I played and loved. They seem to emphasize storytelling at a time when every PC gamer around me was either abandoning the platform, or else obsessed with dumb shooters and overclocking so they could boast about getting a single FPS more out of their burning hot, energy guzzling, unstable machine. These games seemed a bit more mature, and free of cliches too. I had more or less decided to switch over to consoles and JRPGs full time.

Then I bought FF8 and the love affair was over. I realized that the vast majority of JRPGs were even more cliched and by the numbers, it was just that the cliches were new to me when I played FF7. Also, the same emphasizing the hawt graphics and empty spectacle over gameplay and good stories that I had started to dislike in western games. Ironically FF7 were the vanguard for this it seems.

• GameCat says:

Oh God, FF8 was so bad. I mean, military school for teenagers with huge swords (or something like that), driving car (there was even gas station in one location, lol) to some old cave to catch poke, ee I mean magical summons quest, outrageous “grind to refill your spells” spell system was bullshit enough even for ~12 years old kid.

That’s what I dislike in most of FFs. FF 6, 7, 8, 10 and so on have too much sci-fi stuff where FF 9 (see my earlier comment) is filled with whimsical and medieval stuff with some bit of steam (or rather mist) punk on top of all it. But it was only small part of whole game.

• MasterDex says:

Final Fantasy has practically always had some heightened level of technology beyond the medieval era. Hell, look at IX and cities like Treno which had electricity. You had Airships with engines and fuel. You had cloning, factories creating living beings and multiple dimensions. Oh yeah, and stasis pods.

• GameCat says:

But it wasn’t that overwhelming like in other FFs. They are sci-fi games with magic added where FF9 is magic (fantasy) game with sci-fi. It’s almost the same except it’s not. :)

• MasterDex says:

I can roll with that! :D
          I think that was one of the factors that made me like the Final Fantasy worlds all those years ago. They were this strange blend of the past with the present with a little touch of the future. It felt like an entirely new type of fantasy world, one all of its own to a certain degree.

• darkath says:

I’m not sure what part of Final Fantasy has “Science” in it (yes, science-fiction require some science). To me all FFs are wildly fantasist worlds that don’t really make sense, everything is magic.
          What’s interesting is that those universes don’t fall in the usual medieval clichés. Usage of magic and magical worlds don’t necessary imply technology don’t evolve at all.
          Final Fantasy always hinted at how technology would develop in a world filled with magic (airships, guns and other kind of magitechnology (even if it’s just a boat dragged by a dragon) have always been somewhat present in the series)

• Lemming says:

Well those medieval cliches are western medieval cliches, which is probably why you don’t see them much in Final Fantasy titles.

• MasterDex says:

I disagree with your sentiment that science fiction requires the presence of science. Star Wars is science fiction but how much science is there to it? The lighsabers are wholly fantastical with no scientific grounding, for example. a lot of science fiction is no different. Sure, you have your hard science fiction but most sci-fi science boils down to a visual representation of an increased level of technology – where ever that tech comes from.

• darkath says:

Star Wars is Space Opera not Science Fiction.
            :vocabularnazi:

• MasterDex says:

Space Opera is a sub-genre of Science Fiction – Like Heroic/Epic/Military Fantasy in the greater Fantasy genre.
            :youarewrongonazi:

• Consumatopia says:

I would distinguish between 6 and 7, where the “tech” was mostly steampunk/industrial age (powered by magic instead coal or oil), and 8 and 10 in which there wasn’t any point distinguishing between technology and magic–they were both shiny glowly things that accomplished whatever the plot required. Look at Balamb Garden in FF8–it’s a gross mess of shiny floating things and weird textures. There’s so much magic and technology in that world that building anything is possible. But who’s impressed by a weird looking building if you can make any building look as weird and unphysical as you want?

6 and 7 aren’t really much more “tech” than 4 or 9.

• Mad Hamish says:

Hah, replace FF7 and Suikoden 1 with FF6 and Chrono Trigger and that was very similar to my experience too. My PC was shit, had yet to buy a Voodoo, couldn’t handle the new games and I’d just discovered emulation. Though I don’t think I’ll ever touch them again due to the utter tedium of playing them, they still have a place in my heart. The art, the music, the saturday morning cartoon story, it all seemed to work so well together. I later tried to play FF7 and then FF10 but just couldn’t work up much enthusiasm. I put it down to it was a certain time in my life(mid teens) where that of thing interested me and I could get wrapped up in a story like that.

• wu wei says:

Where Squaresoft shone was in their lesser known titles, which would often eschew the common tropes and mechanics expected of their flagship series. Vagrant Story to this day remains one of the greatest RPG experiences I’ve played; Parasite Eve had some similar mechanics and was also highly enjoyable.

15. Sparkasaurusmex says:

The older version (on PC) has some mods that change the character models too look more like the CGI movie that was released years ago. Also some other mods greatly improve graphics. Avoid this cash grab and get the original or PSX emu.

16. Loyal_Viggo says:

Never mind that, where is FF8 so I can spend hours fighting Cactuar in the desert and then defeat the King Cactuar?

Once achieved, reload and do it again…

• Premium User Badge RedViv says:

Oh man, I am SO mad at Squeenix for taking away FF8′s trophy of the Most Bullshit-Unrelated-To-Anything-In-The-World Character System, back when 13 came out. Langers.

17. Commander Gun says:

Warning: Obligatory comment that says FF6 is the best FF game ever ahead!

FF6 (the one with the espers) is with quite a distance the best FF game ever!!!

• solidsquid says:

I’ll agree that it was one of the best plot lines and the combat/levelling system was pretty solid (it was my favourite too), but the graphics of 9 do push it into the running for the top spot

18. edwardoka says:

I like the fact that the game is more than old enough to view its own Steam store page.

19. Premium User Badge Bluerps says:

You are 97,26842789% wrong, Mr Smith. I can give you a more precise number if you really need it, but I think 8 digits should be enough.

(though, to be honest, even though I liked all the Final Fantasies I’ve played, even 13, I don’t think I could endure the grinding of an old-school JRPG nowadays, at least not without some way to speed things up)

• Jekhar says:

I realized a while ago, J- and MMORPGs are primarily for school kids and unemployed people. And maybe people with jobs but no girlfriend/wife. Otherwise the time needed for these games just isn’t there.

• Premium User Badge RedViv says:

As opposed to other, now not that common, Western games with roughly 30 hours of play time, due to the Japanese/Western time divide that makes those last shorter.

• noodlecake says:

Um. Eastern RPGs aren’t any longer than Western ones. Dragon Age: Origins is longer than Final Fantasy X, for example.

• Fox89 says:

You are in luck! This version of FFVII allows you to max your HP/MP/Gil on your cloud saved games!

• Premium User Badge Bluerps says:

I’m not sure if that is so great, to be honest. I’d prefer if I could increase my stats in small increments. In theory it would be even better if I could say to the game to give me the benefits of 15 minutes of grinding in the current area, but of course that is not that easy to implement.

20. Somerled says:

Alert! High levels of subjectivity incoming. Prepare the salt grains.

21. InsanityBringer says:

The Square Enix DRM isn’t the worst system in the world, but it has had its issues. I grabbed a copy of the PC version a while back, and for about a week or two I was entirely unable to play the game because of server-side issues making the login webpage unavailable.

Someone I know had picked up the pc version a while back, and surprisingly, he hadn’t actually played the game before and didn’t know much about the plot, so one of his friends made him livestream the game. It was quite interesting to watch someone play it for the first time, especially since they refused to play “by the book” for large parts of the game. (using walkthrough and guides everywhere to ensure that they have the most perfect possible game)

22. Shooop says:

I’m here to tell you how right you are instead Adam.

23. Shiri says:

Mr Smith, I can understand your incredulity, since FF7 is not without its obvious flaws, but even as someone who is painfully aware of all that stuff (i.e if a fanboy, at least not a RABID fanboy, if I say so myself), I have happily played through this game about 12 times. It was the first game I really owned and went through myself (played a bit of Sonic and Golden Axe, but not on my own time) so it represents a pretty important part of my childhood, and damnit, SOME of it still holds up to scrutiny! I admit I was tempted to go get the disc and run it in my PS3 when I saw it on steam last night.

Fucked if I’m buying some nerfed version with additional DRM on steam though.

• solidsquid says:

I was pretty impressed by the pre-rendered backgrounds. Disregarding the resolution issues (scaling an image from 800×600 to 1920xwhatever is obviously going to pixellate it) they looked pretty damn good, and had some really nice little details hidden away

edit: Also quite liked the materia system, especially since it gave you a way of duplicating them

24. DarkMalice says:

A tenner? Yer ‘avin’ a larf mate.
    ePSXe and a PS1 rip (or your old disc if that may be the case).
    I did lose a lot of school days to playing this back when it was first out.

25. acturuszcj says:

I managed to get all the way through to the final cinematic before the single scratch on my disk caused the game to freeze, which proceeded to happen every time afterwards. Yes I WILL play it again and this time I WILL COMPLETE IT!!!

26. Vinraith says:

I approve strongly of the tone of this announcement, well done Adam.

27. Fox89 says:

But Adam, you no longer have to spare the requisite four thousand hours to play this adventure, because the Steam version features a ‘Character Booster’ which allows you to, and I quote, “increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button.”

Who said challenging games were dead?

28. noodlecake says:

Tsk. I have completed Final Fantasy VII about 5 times. It’s pretty beautiful. Despite the boring repetitive combat style the world is very rich and visually (and audibly) beautiful. Personally I would say much more so than PC RPG equivalents like Baldur’s Gate or Icewind Dale which I also like a lot. :)

29. ScorpionWasp says:

Final Fantasy is to games what Twilight is to books/movies. Fact.

• MasterDex says:

Not even close. Final Fantasy is to games what something like Citizen Kane is to movies.

• mondomau says:

Let’s just agree you both sound like idiots shall we?

Let’s not, shall we?

The fact of the matter is that Final Fantasy VII had a very real impact on the games industry, changing design philosophies, among other things, within the industry, and as such, helped the industry to grow. It pushed the industry forward a little.

And no, it’s not the only game to do that.

But I digress, it’s much like Citizen Kane in that way. Citizen Kane isn’t a particularly good movie. It’s rather boring in fact. Where it succeeded and why it’s held so lofty now, is because of what it did for the industry.

But please, be my guest and tell me how much of an idiot I am. Don’t worry about the little things – you know, like explaining why I’m an idiot and why what I’m saying is idiotic – because clearly that would take too much effort away from your witty ad hominem attacks.

• Douchetoevsky says:

Holy shit are you serious? Have you ever seen Citizen Kane? Oh god, this is like peak internet opinion.

• MasterDex says:

And your comment (along with the guy I replied to) are not? Have you ever seen Citizen Kane? It’s even more overrated than Final Fantasy VII, for feck’s sake! It’s not bad, mind you. It just isn’t the great be all and end all piece of cinema many people hold it up to be.

It can be very boring at times and the acting isn’t anything special. Where it shines is in the cinematography, but at the time of release, the themes and the depths explored by the narrative were also something new to the industry.

Hmmm, that’s beginning to sound strangely familiar. I’m sure there’s a game from the 90′s that fits that bill pretty well….If only I could remember its name…..hmmmmm.

Oh well, it’ll come back to me at some point. -_-

• Consumatopia says:

Whether you find CK to be boring is besides the point–FF7 and the Twilight series are compelling for very similar (adolescent) reasons. FF7 appeals to the immature, to the point that former fans even have difficulty remembering what they liked about FF7 once they’ve grown older. Like Twilight, a lot of players have probably asked themselves “why do I like this terrible story?”

When people talk about the “Citizen Kane of games”, obviously they’re looking for something other than just influence over the medium–by definition, some game must be the most influential game, so it would be absurd to say that games have no Citizen Kane if that’s what you meant by a CK game. But even if you did define it that way, FF7 probably isn’t a good choice. I’m not even sure I would pick 7 as the most influential of the FF games–I’m strongly inclined to suspect FF4, the first story-centric FF game to get outside Japan.

30. Yosharian says:

The snobbery is strong with this one. I completed FF7 about 4 times I’ll have you know.

• mondomau says:

Why is not liking something you like snobbery?

• MasterDex says:

Not liking something isn’t snobbery. Not liking something and then standing on a soapbox to belittle it (and thus belittle the opinion of those that do like it), however, is snobbery.

• Mad Hamish says:

Yes when you don’t like something you should shut up right? Because explaining why you think something is bad and taking the piss out if it is belittling it and those who like it.

Bloody hell man, your nonsense litters this comment section but that comment takes the biscuit.

Belittle
            verb (used with object)
            be·lit·tled, be·lit·tling.
            to regard or portray as less impressive or important than appearances indicate; depreciate; disparage.

Nonsense, you say? The English language seems to disagree, but let’s get down to brass tacks.

You’re putting words to my comments that were never there.

I never said that you should shut up if you don’t like something. Of course, you’re free to explain why you think something is bad. There’s a problem here though. The article, and the comments against the game, don’t do that, at all. There are no explanations, there are only statements, backed up by nothing more than gusto and ad hominems; any attempt to garner a more complete explanation (or an explanation at all) met with the same.

And sorry to break it to yo but yes, taking the piss out of something people love is belittling it, hell it’s the very definition of the word, as you can see above. I expect it from the comments section, as horrid as it has become here on RPS, but from a game journalist? They should know better, and should be held to a higher standard as such.

• Mad Hamish says:

Oh please it’s a light ribbing with the intention of annoying people like you who take it way too seriously. FF fans and especially FF7 fans are known for treating it like their child and taking criticism of it personally. It’s like sticking your child’s drawing on the fridge. You even compare it to Citizen Cane above. You should know by now the irreverent tone of RPS. Not everyone heaps praise upon the FF series and you can’t expect a PC gaming website to have glowing opinions of it. This is no where near snobbery, this is you lacking a sense of humour about the things you love.

• MasterDex says:

I don’t take it too seriously, but thanks for telling me how I feel. My problem isn’t the light ribbing or irreverent nature of the average RPS article as I’m well used to all that. My problem is that RPS seems to be dropping pretty low in terms of the quality of their articles. For instance, I’m sure many people would have appreciated a bit more info about this release than “Hurrdurr! FFVII released on Steam! Why would anyone play that crap?”. Don’t you? Then again, SPACE HULK! SPACE HULK! SPACE HULK! so I’m probably kidding myself.

This is one of my other problems. “especially FF7 fans”, uh-huh, because Call of Duty, Battlefield, Baldur’s Gate, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, fans aren’t. -_- Look around you man, the reason it appears that FF7 in particular are thought to take criticism more personally is because they’re surrounded by bandwagon haters that couldn’t quantify that hate to save their lives – much like the CoD haters and so on. This self-deprecating community can spew little more than negative criticism for games, regardless of their actual quality, or value to the industry and it’s getting really, really, really tiring to see it, especially when it’s coming from the journalists now themselves.

You even compare it to Citizen Cane above.

And explained why I did. You know other than someone going “Have you ever seen Citizen Kane?!”, I’ve yet to see anyone tell me why I’m wrong or why it’s a bad comparison.

Not really, I could make fun of the Final Fantasy series until the cows came home, but at least I can acknowledge what it did right.

PS. The FFVII PC version has been out just about as long as the console version (i.e. PS1 version) has so I don’t see why “you can’t expect a PC gaming website to have glowing opinions of it.”

Oh shit, that’s right, I forgot. Console games suck. -_-

• Mad Hamish says:

It’s not a bloody review, it’s just a piece informing people it’s being released. And I’m not telling you how you are feeling, you are making that perfectly clear by what you say and how you say it. You’re also making it clear that you can’t appreciate a piss taking or a silly joke.

The hate bandwagon as you hyperbolically call it is there for any game that gets talk about as much and has much fawning praise heaped upon it as FF7. But FF7 is your thing or tribe if you will and now you’re leaping to it’s defense. If it’s popular now to criticise FF7 it’s only because it’s been given a free pass for a very long time. As I said above my interest in JRPGs ended with FF6 and ChronoTrigger so I’m not here to discuss FF7, just your gross overreaction to this post and to the criticism in these comments.

And as much as I loathe to lower myself to respond to your last bit. Unless you count my C64 as a PC I’ve been console gaming longer than I have PC gaming, so don’t give me those childish remarks please.

31. Glentoran says:

Call me when they release Final Fantasy X on Steam, the true winner of the entire series, in my opinion.

32. namad says:

is this the old buggy port from a decade ago that was already out on pc and works poorly? cause if so why bother? and why even call this news?

33. Premium User Badge JR says:

I find the lack of Final Fantasy Tactics in the comments disturbing.

• wu wei says:

I think I must be the only person who ever played Vagrant Story, which kind of qualifies as a Final Fantasy given XII was set in the same world.

• Ralphomon says:

Vagrant Story is at least an honorary FF game, due to being part of the ‘Ivalice Alliance’, including FFXII and the Tactics series. It’s also hard as balls.

34. FullMetalMonkey says:

So, what IS cloud gaming?

• wu wei says:

Triggering random battles repeatedly until you’re totally OP for the Sephiroth battle.

35. Laurentius says:

FF7 is in my opinion probably best video game ever created and yes i’m replaying it evry couple of years and i’m actually in th emiddle of another playthrough, started it last year in summer so it’s taking a bit but i’ll probably complete it soon.

36. Prime says:

You are more Wrong than all the wrongs there have ever been put together, Adam, including Jimmy Saville.

My brother not only played this again, he played it a further seven times, each replay following on from the last. Not only that but he played them to their very limits, breeding the Chocobos until they damn near created the Kwizatz Haderach, killing all the various seven-billion-hit-point Weapon monsters and so on and so forth. Our family actually started to get a bit worried about him.

Me? Always despised the game. JRPGs just annoy the ever-living shit out of me.

37. zachforrest says:

I bounced right off FFVII. Met the large chap with a gun for a hand, named him Gaylord and told my sister’s friend ‘it was rubbish, like Pandemonium’ (on rails platformer), and turned it off to play more Quake II.

I was 8 then, so hopefully i can be forgiven for the Gaylord thing. I think i had just discovered it was a real name, instead of you know, a Gay Lord.

• Premium User Badge jrodman says:

Speaking as a gay man, I find the name “Gaylord” pretty funny sounding.