Indie Fund Ensures Fract OSC’s Final Synthesis

By Jim Rossignol on July 5th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

It’s been over a year since we had cause to mention first-person music synthesizing game Fract OSC, but I saw the team talk at GDC in March, and it was clear a lot had been happening in that time. Not all of it good. The takeaway message from their presentation, however, was that while they had experienced all kinds of difficulties in the months following their IGF successes, they were finally back on track. That seems to have more than empty rhetoric, too, because Indie Fund, who have been steadily backing many of the most interesting and successful indie projects out there, have announced they are helping bring Fract OSC to neony fruition: “…when Phosfiend Systems sent out the signal that they needed help getting it across the finish line, we jumped at the opportunity to make that happen for them!”

A feast of light and sound await in the most recent trailer, below.

« »

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. DiscorderlyChaos says:

Rejoice for neons

2. richardeflanagan says:

Indeed! We’re pretty freakin stoked over here, and are feeling good about how the game is shaping up

• Prolar Bear says:

Can’t wait to put my paws on it!

• Tinotoin says:

Yay Rich, Fract has been etched in my brain since the demo all those [increment of time] ago!

Really looking forward to the final release :)

• Wedge says:

I was so mad I could never beat it. I read the notes every which way off the giant cylindrical thing and put them into the synthesizer and it never did anything! But it was still awesome, very excited about a full game based on it.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

The game is looking incredible, can’t wait to give it a try. Glad it sounds like you guys will have the funds to make it to release! :D

CelticPixel says:

Really looking forward to this one.

RobF says:

Excellent news. Fract is shaping up to be something tremendous.

5. Prime says:

I’ve been waiting for this for aaaages. So happy to see it finally approaching completion! Looks bloody amazing – congrats, Phosfiend!

6. richardeflanagan says:

Thanks everyone!

Working hard to make everything happen over here – thank you all for the encouragement!

7. Emeraude says:

OOoooh…. this is still in development ?

Don’t know why, had filled it in the “sadly dead” portion of my brain (no it’s not the brain part that’s dead, it’s the things in it ! I see you coming a mile away with your vicious insinuations !).

• richardeflanagan says:

I’d be lying if said there weren’t moments when the thought (fleetingly) crossed my mind, but we’ve been hard at this thing for a little over 2 years!

8. neolith says:

Can’t wait for the game to be released.

9. Arglebargle says:

Designing a 3D game/DAW is just off-the-wall brilliant. Make it VST compatible, and the world will shake, I think.

• richardeflanagan says:

This is totally technically doable – we just need to finish the game first ;)

If there’s demand, this could be a post-release thing, along with some good MIDI/OSC support (think midi out to CV to vintage gear OMG yes).

The wishlist is ludicrous, and all of it is technically doable, I think our sanity is the finite resource at this point!

• Arglebargle says:

I will make offerings to my favorite groovin’ idols for you folks (sanity and all). You all can be the minecraft of DAWville! Get it out, rest up some, then get crackin’ on some post release Xtra-Magik.

Sadly, while I have some midi analog stuff, I parted with my last old school beast (Jupiter 4…much regret). The idea of linking this up to a new modular set up is pretty mind blowing. But that and midi and OSC would be tremendously cool!

Anyway, fingers crossed, and good luck.