Runed Awakening: Runescape 3 On 22nd Of July

By Jim Rossignol on July 5th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

“Runescape, eh?” I say, to the cold silence of the RPS virtual office. No one is listening. And, well, cards on the table: none of us have ever played Runescape. Adam was living in the jungle at the time, Alec was trapped inside a Micro-ATX case in a cupboard at Future Publishing, and I hadn’t yet taken material form out of my constituent angry ghosts from a haunted house in Kent. No, we do not know the ways of Runescape. Which makes writing a pithy intro about the arrival of the third game a little tricky. How am I doing? Ok then. What I do know is that it’s being in delivered in HTML5, meaning it can actually be pretty impressive in a browser, and that it’s happening on the 22nd. These things, and more, are discussed in the dating trailer, which you can see below.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Loque says:

Well, it looks pretty good to me. Nice HTML5 engine, nice and customizable interface, nice upgraded graphics, … I don’t see a reason not to try it. I’ve never played Runescape but I guess now is the time to give it a deeper look.

2. cool4345 says:

So it’s basically post-2010 runescape 2, but with different graphics and more fantasy looking locations, sort of guild wars 2 ish.

No thanks. A lot of players quit after they made bad updates starting around 2007 and continuing ever since. This is going to be the exact same.

• Didden says:

“we were really afraid we were going to lose our members over this change, because other games had in the past. But we are very, very pleased to say that we have lost practically none of our members.” from the wikipedia page as an official quote.

• phelix says:

Of course, anything their PR department says is unquestionably the truth.

• Loque says:

True, but random comments like “A lot of players quit” sound like “WoW is dead”…

• dorrak says:

Back in it’s heyday, it was common to see over 100,000 players logged in at any given time, usually over 120,000 at peak hours. That was back in around 2006 or 2007. Nowadays you will be hard pressed to find many hours of the day with more than 50,000 players online.

It sort of proves the rumours that a ton of players had left due to their poor decision making and management. I mean, if we take those figures to be averages, then there’s only half as many people playing today than there was 6 bloody years ago.

I myself left not long after the Gower Brothers sold out their stake and left, for those who don’t know they were the creators of the game. Anyways, after they left, private investment took over and it’s downhill just about ever since. Recently it’s come down to the level where they have introduced pay-to-win in the most literal sense, paying real money for spins on a wheel of fortune that can give you in game money, items, and levels.

And what a shame it is too, it was the best thing since sliced bread for those 6 or 7 years that it was going well. This year they finally seemed to have realized they fucked up too, so they even tried to bring back an old-school server that would play a legacy client. Too late now, Jagex. You fucked up. Can’t really blame the Gower Bro’s for wanting to move on, but even though selling it to bankers may have been good for the wallet, it really stuffed a lot of those people who loved the game. Fuck me, the nostalgia just writing this brings a tear to my eye.

• Liudeius says:

Not really. They started making the game far better after that and it even got wilderness and trade back. It had in 2010 about the same average.
            But then they did the massive anti-boting update which dropped the users at high times by tens of thousands (there were that many bots).

Now they’ve probably lost even more though, since in 2012 the owner of Jagex sold out to some American investors who only care about money, turning RS into pay-to-win and losing even more players.

• Didden says:

200 million of anything, I would consider to be a reasonable success. I don’t play the game, never have, but it seems to have been a game that seems to have kept going nicely all these years and employs 500 people. If that is a dying game, then we need more games to die and make millions in profits.

• Liudeius says:

Actually once the CEO changed, updates started getting pretty good (2009-2011?), since the previous one had been treating it as a game targeted at children (even though when you sign up is says you can’t be under 13).

But then the company’s owner changed to a group of American investors (2012) who only care about money, not games, so it started going down hill again.

3. RaytraceRat says:

Bah, I see another MUD decided to call itself MOO and stopped supporting text-based web browsers. If it goes like this I will have to get one of those expensive Graphic Accelerator Cards for my machine…

4. Tams80 says:

Graphics never were really that much of an issue for RuneScape. By deciding to make it run on almost any PC they put graphics to the side. Well that’s how it used to be. The current version, even on low settings lags really badly. I don’t see this getting fixed either, as if RuneScape 3 doesn’t run on your PC, then they say “just use the Java version”, the one with terrible low graphic performance.

Anyway, back to my original point. Not only has the performance gotten worse, the gameplay has just plain been broken. RuneScape 3 will almost certainly not fix most of the issues with it. At least they still have interesting quests right? (I haven’t played extensively in a while).

5. westyfield says:

I played a spot of Runescape back when I was knee high to a grasshopper. It was ok.

Didn’t know there’d been a Runescape 2 though so 3 is a bit of a surprise.

• Liudeius says:

The first major graphics/engine update (2005) was labeled Runescape 2 for a while before and after release.
      They’ve had more graphics and engine changes since then (including “Runescape HD” which you may have heard about 2 years ago), so calling this Runescape 3 is somewhat arbitrary.

6. Hunchback says:

Can this game be compared in any sensible way to Ultima Online, or not? Does it allow for playing buildings to be placed freely in the world? Completely player ran economy/market? No-classes?

If it does, i might actually be very interested o.O

• dorrak says:

It was definitely created with that influence of Ultima Online, as well as plenty of Monty Python. It plays nothing like it, not anymore anyway. Maybe quite a few years ago you could say it did. Nowadays it isn’t much more than a glorified Club Penguin, with more combat and content, but without any depth in either.

I would say don’t waste your time if you enjoyed UO, because you will be extremely dissapointed.

• Hunchback says:

Le sigh… Will some dev-team FINALLY get some good sense in them and rebuild UO with proper graphics? They don’t even have to add anything new, only bump the graphics a bit and change the movement model from tile-based to something smoother. And FFS, keep it ISOMETRIC, i am sick of TPS wow-clones (even if some of them are damn good)
        Hell, i’d even buy their f2p vanity crap if they did!

7. bstard says:

I heart a rumor the bedlam here next door has a special cellar where the chained runescape kids are howling, since their best friend nicked their magic sword. (‘There’s joy in my grief and there’s freedom in chains’, lalala)

It’s peculiar though, since they build this place all around mine.

8. frightlever says:

I should muster a little enthusiasm for Runescape 3, it’s not as if there are that many UK MMORPG developers, but… I dunno… I like the art style, but the animation looks pretty rough.

9. freestonew says:

ugh.
    I tried the new version. they did what i *hate* about some games!! toss me right into the action right first off. I am supposed to do 326 things all at once!
    my 72 year old speed is to go off by myself, observe my surroundings, configure at leisure the options, then learn the controls and then *sloooooly* check out the area.
    [I never got far into witcher 1 because of this! I threw the towel in at one of the ps2 tombraider games where the tutorial has me to jump up, flip over, backspin, sideflip, reach out, pull lever, all in one *at-once* moment!! i could not do this.

does anyone here suggest a good online rpg where I enter the newbie area just as i described above , where i can savor the world and get my bearings first?!

Takes me an hour to eat a plate of food but my seatmate can wolf the same amount down even before i salt, pepper, butter, sugar, stir, cut-up my food!

must be these players are all type A behavior players. my sister called me a type Z! [B is slow, Z is off of the charts]

thanks…freestone