Stitched Up: Steam & Twitch Sitting In A Tree

By Alec Meer on July 5th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

I for one welcome our new cross-media overlords

In my day, kids used to actually play videogames, you know. Now they just sit around watching other people play them. Disgraceful, it is. They’ll never develop life-long RSI and lower back problems that way. They’ll probably still get the limited attention span thing, of course.

It’s going to get even worse now that Twitch, market leader of such inactivity, has officially gotten into bed with Steam, market leader of selling the games that people gawp at on Twitch. Now those kids don’t even have to load up two seperate services. They can just sit there, staring at the same webpage forever. Down the mines with them all, I say.

So far, this new union relates only to Dota 2 streams on Twitch, in order that Tournament Drops may be earned that way, rather than purely from watching in-game via Steam. I don’t doubt for one second that this won’t expand however, given that Steam is gradually becoming one giant gotta catch ‘em all meta-game.

“You can now link your Steam account to their service,” says the Dota 2 blog. It’s true, I just did it. No-one stopped me. No-one tried to stop me. No-one dared to try to stop me. “This link makes you eligible for tournament item drops while watching Twitch streams as long you own the ticket for that tournament. We realize that people have different reasons why they prefer to watch in game or via streams and wanted to bridge the gap of features they were missing out on by choosing the service that works for them the most. We hope to expand on the features available via this system and would love to hear what you think we should work on next.”

You should find the option to link up your accounts on the connections page on Twitch. Doing so will be the last movements you ever need to make with your hands.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Syra says:

I was going to twitch but then I had an involuntary muscle spasm in my clicking finger.

• pupsikaso says:

Indeed this news is spasmastic!

• nowako05 says:

my roomate’s step-aunt makes $71/hour on the laptop. She has been without work for eight months but last month her check was $21976 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site WEP6.COM

2. Monkeh says:

I love both Twitch and Steam, so yay!

3. Fred S. says:

It’s more fun to watch DeMuslim or TLO play Starcraft than to practice my build orders.

4. nimzy says:

I’m surprised people have the latency or the bandwidth on residential connections to do the kind of streaming that services like this seem to demand. I do 480p-ish at a 60kbps and my ISP forgets what “reasonable latency” means every couple minutes.

I’m waiting for a future “streaming is killing gaming” meme to sweep the games media. Hop to it RPS!

5. Dowr says:

Because why play games yourself when you can watch others do it! Yeah!

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Or read what people write about it. Ahem.

• AimHere says:

Why watch Andy Murray fail to win Wimbledon again when you can get out your motheaten racket and grotty old tennis ball, string the clothesline across the garden and play Tennis yourself?

Much of my twitch viewing tends to be top-tier Starcraft 2 players duking it out, often in tournaments, with skills that I’ll never be able to emulate (but occasionally they do something that even I can carry out in my own half-assed fashion, and I’ll pinch their build for the ladder), and the viewership stats for twitch suggests that the bulk of twitch’s viewers are people watching the competitive, ‘esports’ end of video-gaming.

Twitch is basically ESPN for nerds!

• Snakejuice says:

I enjoyed watching others play 20 years ago and I still occasionally enjoy it so yaay twitch! In fact, I remember watching a friend play throught ALTTP from start to end several times before even getting a SNES myself.

• Mctittles says:

I absolutely watched “The Graveyard” full version instead of purchasing it. Either way I lost :(

6. Radiant says:

I don’t know about linking my steam account to my twitch account but I really am in favour of streaming games.

Any AAA game coming out that does not have integrated streaming is ignoring a huge chunk of people who interact with that game.

Put it this way, take a game of LoL. [and throw it in the bin].

You have anything from 6 to 10 people IN the game.
    But you’ll have nearly TEN THOUSAND people outside of the game also interacting with your game by viewing the stream.

LoL makes it work doubly by integrating the stream set up [so you can see who is broadcasting] from WITHIN the game itself.
    Don’t feel like wasting hours playing league? Why not watch league for 20 minutes instead?

It’s at that point where the number of people playing your game is not nearly your biggest market.

• Radiant says:

Although saying that.
      A huge issue is bandwitdh.

If someone is streaming say an FPS and is hosting the game at the same time then it’s going to fuck up everything for everyone.

I think that lag factor will be one of the biggest issues with the new consoles, especially when you take in account some moron streamer will be video skyping his mates in another window.

• jon_hill987 says:

Only an issue in shit games that don’t have a dedicate server and spectator slots.

• Radiant says:

With consoles you can forget all about that.
          Unless ms’s cloud server set up can render and rebroadcasting the games from player stream data.

• Snakejuice says:

Microsoft is hyping the cloud (which is basically just a fancy word for a bunch of servers) yet they can’t even provide some dedicated servers to games on their console.

7. Kaira- says:

Oh boy, two monoliths combining. Surely this can only be a good thing(tm).

8. jrodman says:

Wow, a video streaming service with horrible software teams up with a game selling portal with horrible software.

At least there’s one outcome of this that’s guaranteed!

9. 1Life0Continues says:

Well, those of us in backwards, copper based infrastructure, asymmetrical connection, bandwidth allowance nations are fucked, huh?

Seriously. I know we down here in the largest island/smallest continent are far away from the suits in charge, but we’re still here, and still want to participate, guys.

Sure, you can argue about buying better internet all you want, but I’m sorry, no matter how good our ISP deigns to be, distance = latency. And distance + archaic infrastructure = very high latency. Many of us are trying to push for at least a start in fibre, but unfortunately the morons in government don’t seem to see the benefits in upgrading. Not just for us gamers, but for the national economy as a whole. No, instead we’re stuck with sub-par equipment, shitty service by the (privatised) ISP and an isolation factor of 10.

But hey, we can always buy a 360, right? (I know, this jab isn’t relevant anymore, but I couldn’t help it.)