The RPS Bargain Bucket: Cause Some Upset

By Lewie Procter on July 6th, 2013 at 1:11 pm.

Good followers of The Rock, The Paper and The Shotgun, would you like to find out the raddest deals on the hottest games this weekend? Then you are in luck, because I’ve have totally got that covered. Sorry for the Bargain Bucket’s absence last week, I was busy partying in a field in Somerset, but normal service has resumed as of right now. Here’s your roundup of discount games for your computers, and for gaming bargains across all platforms throughout the week, you can always rely on SavyGamer.co.uk.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon – £7.99
Apply coupon “GFDJUL20UK”. Registers on uPlay.
The Far Cry 3 expandalone that should have been the main game. I’m in two minds about this, yes it’s great that Ubisoft decided to do something a bit silly with what was an otherwise fairly po-faced game about pointing the gun in the bottom right corner of the screen at the baddies and then clicking the mouse button, but they obviously did so expending as little effort as possible, reusing all the assets that they could from the main campaign. They’ve given everything a Tron/80s vibe, but it’s been done fairly half heartedly: There’s lots of neon highlights on the environment, but for the most part everything just looks kind of grey. It’s also crazy short, you’ll finish the campaign in just a few sittings, but it’s a pretty wild ride. It contains some legitimately funny jokes, and it’s a bit different from most other shooters, but I can’t help feel like Ubisoft are somewhat having their cake and eating it.

Max Payne 3 – £6.70/€7.79/$9.99
Available either as a Steam key or as a direct download. This is from Amazon US, so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
Shooting in slow motion is cool. This is a thoroughly enjoyable game about shooting in slow motion. There’s a few weak spots, but it’s basically solid throughout. If I’m going to complain about things, I’d say that there are enough frustrating set pieces with bullet-sponge enemies to induce a ragequit from even the most placid players. The animations is pretty fantastic throughout, although there’s a frustrating limitation on the physics system. When you perform a jumping dive forwards, you land on the ground with awesome procedural physics. Sadly, though, you need to stand fully upright after one of these dives, no matter if you want to. This means that if you jump and dive, then land right next to some chest high cover, instead of leaning into that cover from the ground, you’ll stand fully upright (often get shot to pieces) and then crouch down to get into the cover. It’s a silly little complaint, but it bugged me throughout the game. Tell you what though, it’s got a killer soundtrack, and some great writing.

Bioshock & Bioshock 2 – £3.35/€3.89/$4.99
This is from Amazon US, so you’ll need to enter a US billing address. Registers on Steam.
The first two Bioshock games are, if you’ll forgive the bold sweeping statement, the strongest games in the series. I think Rapture is a more interesting setting than Columbia, certainly the first game has a more tightly constructed narrative arc than Infinite. The first two games, especially the second, had pretty interesting systemic combat, with enemies that would roam big levels rather than just wait for you at predesignated checkpoints. I also prefer the horror of “Psychotic Masked Randian Junkies” to “Isn’t racism nasty?”, but each to their own. Here’s Wot Alec thought of Bioshock 2.

Risen – £2/€2.49/$2.50
Risen 2: Dark Waters – £3.74/€4.99/$4.99
Both Risens for not very much money each. Alec took a pretty in depth look at Risen The First in the seven parter report, and here’s what he made of the sequel:

So, a bit of a mess but it’s got charm and brains underneath it. It is inventive and it is trying to avoid genericism, and even though its conversations are far too numerous, far too long-winded, full of the same animations, faces and bodies and occasionally lumbered with characterisation that might cause some upset (I’m going to decline labouring that point, mind), the voice-acting and to a lesser extent the writing isn’t half-bad. The major lesson Risen 2 needs to learn is the value of brevity.

More here.

Deal of the week
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – £7.99
Apply coupon “GFDJUL20UK”. Registers on Steam.
Skyrim is a big game with lots and lots to do it in. Don’t take my word for it, here’s Wot Alec Thought:

Everywhere I go, I’m immediately presented with more opportunities and possibilities than I can possibly keep track of, let alone do all of. Both in terms of overtly-offered quests and ambient observation and intervention (racist attitudes towards Dark elves in Windhelm, the grim poverty of Winterhold…) , there is so damned much to see and do.

More here. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it this cheap before, short of a temporarily misprice, although perhaps you might be better off waiting for a good deal on the Legendary Edition at this point, since that comes with all the DLC.

Also of note:
Bit.Trip Presents: Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien – £4.33. Apply coupon “GFDJUL20UK”. Registers on Steam.
Toki Tori, Edge & Rush – £1.67/€1.94/$2.49. Registers on Steam.
F.1.A.R., F.2.A.R. & F.3.A.R. – £7.86. Registers on Steam.
The Real Texas – Pay What You Want
Bloody Trapland, Gatling Gears, Judge Dredd: Dredd Vs Death, Lucid, Polygon Storm & Sniper Elite V2 – £4.11

For even more of the cheap video game goodness, get yourself over to SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. LionsPhil says:

That Sonic Racing thing is having a free weekend (and 75% sale) on Steam.

It’s a tremendously shoddy port, control-wise (although stability and performance seem fine), and has all the “quirks” of the kart genre, but I’ve got to say it’s nice having the modern graphics card pumping out some modern graphics that aren’t all grey and viewed through a cheap muddy plastic lens.

• Theon says:

What in the world are you talking about?

It’s a well-optimized port with fully customizable keys. It also happens to be a really good kart racer (and an annoying and slippery boating/flying racer).

• LionsPhil says:

control-wise (although stability and performance seem fine)

Words. Read them with your eyes.

To change your controls, you have to quit the game (which has a bevvy of unskippable intro videos) and launch a separate setup program. The setup program is as buggy as hell and my attempts to get it to let me remap keys on my gamepad were a fruitless adventure in varying bugs from “reverting to keyboard” to “ignoring attempts to rebind anything to make sense” to “binding away every last key so I had to Alt-F4 the game”. It also randomly resets settings as you click around within it.

Eventually I went back to keyboard and managed to get it to swallow a control layout where I’m not expected to hold the left shift key down for basically the whole race with my pinky finger, which is actually considered a legitimate enhanced information extraction technique in some US states.

• lomaxgnome says:

This drove me crazy too, it seemed to recognize my older Logitech controller (which very few things do), but it never behaved right in game. Once I used x360ce like I usually have to with most games these days, it worked like a charm. Glad I went to the trouble of getting it working, the game is a blast. Price is only $5 per if you buy a 4-pack.

• nancy8998 says:

Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job Ive had. Last Monday I got a new Alfa Romeo from bringing in $7778. I started this 9 months ago and practically straight away started making more than $83 per hour. I work through this link, http://ow.ly/mpCcC

• The Random One says:

Aye, the port is very high quality but unless you have a 360 controller (in which case you can just plug’n'go) setting up the controls is very fiddly. I have a 360 controller, but only one, so I imagine setting up the drop-in co-op would be a pain.

I don’t know who was the idiot who at some point in the 90′s decided that the shift key is easy to press when playing a game on the keyboard, nor why no one since then ever realized such a grievous error.

• Necroscope says:

About Sonic Racing, Theon might have had no troubles with the config app., as I didn’t either, and no overall port problems. All I needed to do was rebind a few keys, one being the start/resume key as space so it didn’t conflict with accelerate..No glitches, no control, no ctd, no dis-function. I’m using a Logitech cordless rumblepad. Everything can be skipped quickly. One thing about Sonic Generations, I installed the demo but the config was mental, I couldn’t input anything and also keys or joypad didn’t work in-game, so uninstalled promptly and shelved the idea of buying it, unless someone can persuade me the game itself runs smoother..I won’t bother..

• Frank says:

I don’t know why it’s not promoted on the front page, but the rest of the old sonic games are also 75% off.

• LionsPhil says:

Ooh, on the topic of “missing from the Steam front page”, everything Killing Floor seems to be pretty hugely slashed too (80% for the game itself, but it has a ton of DLC to put on top of that), and there’s a “week”(ish) of free play.

• derbefrier says:

I cant get the configure game option to work at all. I can play it just fine with a xbox controller though. Controls seems fine to me and its a fun game. I just wish the setup utility would work. I may buy it anyway though. Its a fun game and 7 bucks doesn’t seem like a bad deal.

• InternetBatman says:

I have this problem with Jet Set Radio. They also reworked the tutorials so that they work with a pad, but doing static tutorials instead of reading the input is just lazy.

2. DestructY says:

Anyone else having problems with the Farcry 3: Blood Dragon code ?

“Invalid promo code. If you have any issue using your promo code, please contact our customer support”

• dE says:

Depending on your country, you may need to come back after 11pm. It’s their type of “Age protection system”. Did you try that?

• DestructY says:

Didn’t realise it was Gamefly my bad, was trying Uplay client derp lol, all good now, away she goes :)

3. MarcP says:

“but they obviously did so expending as little effort as possible, reusing all the assets that they could from the main campaign”

Why is this a bad thing? Why must we have entirely new art assets for each and every new game out there? New art makes a game pretty on pictures and trailers, new art sells games; but while it might make for more entertaining views, it doesn’t make for more interesting gameplay.

You might want to argue this doesn’t have to be an either/or proposition, but I would say it is, sort of, if you look at volume and resource allocation. I’d rather have five great games (or significantly sized expansions) reusing assets intelligently than just one great game with completely original content. Especially when this content is relatively realistic stuff I’m familiar with. A palm tree is a palm tree, a beach is a beach, a bunker is a bunker. It’s all backdrop for the game stuff, for the player there’s no benefit in this constant reinventing the wheel.

• InternetBatman says:

I think this is germane:

And he’s absolutely right. If a one to three person team has been able to put out twelve quality 30+ hour RPGs over the course of a decade, then more people should be doing what he’s doing. Reinventing the wheel is stupid.

• Tacroy says:

Eehhh I’m still moderately miffed that Avernum 1-3 + Blades are just a remake of Exile 1-3 + Blades. I bought the Exile Complete Collection goddamnit, I should get a discount on that junk.

• malkav11 says:

As I recall, owners of Exile -did- get a discount on Avernum, but you had to ask for it since it’s not like they have an account system or anything.

But that’s part of a different philosophy of Vogel’s – keeping his games modern by remaking them rather than just updating them. There’s actually some pretty major gameplay and engine changes between Exile and Avernum and between Avernum and its confusingly identically named remake. But Avernum 1 and Avernum 6 have much of the same gameplay and engine, and that crosspollinates with every one of the five Geneforge games. And I for one could not care less that he hasn’t reinvented the wheel every time, because the stuff that matters is new.

• InternetBatman says:

I looked at screenshots from Avernum (having played Escape from the Pit), and now I’m torn between playing 4-6, buying old two and three, or waiting for the remake of two and three. I have Nethergate, and the UI is absolutely terrible, so I don’t know if I want to buy/play the super old versions.

• malkav11 says:

The sad part is just how much complaining there is when things stay the same in games even when they’re not things that are broken or bad. I’ve always felt that if you’re going to make sequels and expansion packs (and by all means, when you have a good game setup you absolutely should, though not necessarily direct narrative sequels), you actually don’t want to do much, if any innovating. See what, if anything, people that enjoyed your game really hated about it and maybe fix or tweak a couple of those things. Optimize the engine a little more, maybe. But then go and make a new story with new characters and add a little bit more of the gameplay you’ve already got, and you’re pretty much golden. People would bitch up a storm about your failure to completely overhaul a successful formula for no reason, but it would sell. It’d certainly sell to me, if I were a fan of the previous game, and much more readily than when you go and pull crap like Bioware did moving from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age to Dragon Age 2.

jrodman says:

I think typically *something* has to change.
          Just a bunch more levels isn’t really enough, for most people.

A new story maybe.
          A new setting.
          A new coat of paint sometimes.
          Some different mechanics.
          etc.

You don’t need to execute more than one of these at a minimum, but NOTHING new really won’t cut it.

• Low Life says:

I agree, and I hope the success of Blood Dragon means that there will be more of these “side projects”. I don’t see how anyone’s losing in this proposition; publishers get less risky projects and more profit from their work on the original big budget game, while players get cheap games with more variation (due to the lower risk).

FriendlyFire says:

Totally agreed. In fact, I think more games should do that, even across developers. Stuff like the Unity asset store are a good start, but something more platform agnostic would be nice. AAA doesn’t necessarily mean reinventing the wheel each time.

I think Ubisoft had a great idea to reuse many assets and their game engine to allow them to produce a much smaller game much faster for much cheaper. This kind of stuff could possibly mean that developers will be more open to risky projects if they can recoup some of their costs by making offshoots.

• The Random One says:

I agree in spirit. In practice, there’s a line in reused assets that marks the limit between efficiency and laziness, and it exists only in the players’ minds. To pull it off you need flair, and from reviews it seems Blood Dragon lacked flair more than anything else. I might make use of this sale to buy it and shall later notify you of my final thoughts via carrier octopus.

RobF says:

The really great thing about Blood Dragon is I got to play the bits of Far Cry 3 I’d have liked to have played without having to sit through a game that went out of its way to make itself entirely unattractive to me with its surrounding guff. And I got it all condensed down into a not-very-time-wasting experience with a fantastic soundtrack.

At that point, I don’t care how much asset reuse there is or how much they’ve recycled from Far Cry 3 and given a new lick of paint because I’ll never see it in its original home. Plus, of course, more cheap B-game sidesteps would be most welcome.

If you discount the first hour, obviously. There’s no excuse for that mess of an intro. Someone needs to be shot for that because adding a layer of unfunny funny over the top doesn’t make it any less horrible.

• CameO73 says:

Yeah, I completely agree. I just couldn’t get into Far Cry 3. Way too serious for it’s own good. Then came Blood Dragon, and all was right in the world again :-)

• thebigJ_A says:

I was just about to give up on FC3…. then the weed field happened and the Skrillex started playing, and it had me again.

Up until the second island. When I got to the 2nd island and saw it was the same but less interesting, with a worse bad guy, it lost me again.

• jonahcutter says:

Burning the weed field to Skrillex was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me.

I felt like the fratbro stupid had gotten so fratbro stupid, no amount of pseudo-deep/ironic meta narrative was going to rescue it.

FC3 wants to have its cake and eat it too, but isn’t close to talented enough to pull it off.

tobias says:

“Sadly, though, you need to stand fully upright after one of these dives, no matter if you want to. This means that if you jump and dive, then land right next to some chest high cover, instead of leaning into that cover from the ground, you’ll stand fully upright (often get shot to pieces) and then crouch down to get into the cover.”

I’m quite sure that if you just press q (or whatever your cover key is) when prone, you’ll crawl straight to cover.

• stupid_mcgee says:

This is true. Also, you don’t automatically stand up after diving unless you press W, A, S, or D to make Max move.

I’ve spent many an hour playing MP3. Beat it on Old School mode and played through the whole game probably 4 or 5 times so far.

6. fabrulana says:

I hate Gamefly’s region locking…

7. trjp says:

Super-tempted by Runner2 – if for no other reason than this Quick Look video made me spit my coffee

Around 12:30 there’s something which NO videogame should contain – let alone one on the Wii U (as played in the video)…

DrScuttles says:

I must protest; more videogames need to have dangling fish balls.
      If you liked the mechanics of Runner 1 but thought you’d never complete it, I’d have to recommend Runner 2. It’s far more forgiving. And it has a greater sense of joy to it than the original.

• The Random One says:

♪ Fish balls, fish balls, roly poly fish balls ♫

lowprices says:

Max Payne 3 is definitely worth a punt at that price. I enjoyed it, but wish I hadn’t paid full price. The shooting is fun but not spectacular, the writing is good (there are even a couple of laugh out loud funny quips) but but the game feels like it was made by people who wanted to make a film rather than a game. Control is taken off you too often and for too long. Still, worth it at that price as you’ll probably enjoy it once but never return to it.

9. HadToLogin says:

Max Payne 3 doesn’t have great writing. It’s quite medicore, especially after recalling first games – MP3 has as generic “cop turned alcohol-fueled bodyguard” story as it can get.
    Alan Wake’s 2 pages of The Sudden Stop are much better sequel to Max Payne than whole Rockstar writing.

• stupid_mcgee says:

“Max Payne 3 doesn’t have great writing. It’s quite medicore…”

Subjective opinions are not wrong.

You could have just said, “Max Payne 3′s writing was mediocre…” and left it at that, without trying to invalidate someone else’s opinion as being factually incorrect.

• HadToLogin says:

I believe I had to, to point out about what part of text I’m talking about – like quoting something to precise that’s the only thing I’ll be talking about (hopefully you’ll understand what I mean).

And opinions can be wrong – if they weren’t, democracy wouldn’t exist :P .

• stupid_mcgee says:

There’s been some weird stuff going on with Bioshock 2 on Steam recently. They added Steam achievements, although they are not unlocked yet. There’s some speculation that they may be dropping GFWL support. Who knows, though.

Also, you can remove GFWL from Bioshock 2.

• The Random One says:

But you still need it to download the DLC, yes? Is there a complete edition?

10. squareking says:

BVCKETFACE

11. Zenicetus says:

For the WW1 air combat fans out there, Rise of Flight is having one of their periodic 50% off sales for planes and accessories through July 8. The sale includes the Channel Map, and I think it’s the first time it’s been available at a reduced price.

12. Quasar says:

The GMG 666 deals are pretty good, too. New deals every six hours. Right now, you can get Civ V for a V’er – http://www.greenmangaming.com/hot-deals/

• trjp says:

GMG have done some really nice deals all week and today (Sunday) and a bit of Monday they’re all back.

Don’t expect Lewie to mention them tho – when GMG stared-up he said they’d never last and I think he’s making that come true by pretending they don’t exist.

We should rename this the “Some of the Bargains Bucket” :)

Cross says:

An idea: Hold your horses, the Steam sales are coming, so don’t submit to GameFly just yet.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

A Category One sale warning is now in effect. Do not leave your fully-stocked sale bunkers. Be prepared to move at a moment’s notice. Be prepared to carry children and small animals. Put on your own sale headgear before assisting others with theirs.

14. Jazzyboy says:

Toki Tori, Edge and Rush are also available on Humble Bundle.(so Pay What You Want)

Average is 1 cent less than Steam’s offer atm and you get a 10% off Toki Tori 2 voucher as well. Oh and concept art and a poster.

15. kalirion says:

10 hours left on the groupees undead bundle at time of posting:

Currently, pick 1 games (plus all bonuses) for $0.75, additional games cost $0.75 and less the more you add

Zafehouse: Diaries (Desura + GOG + DRM Free)
    Zombies Ruined My Day (Desura + DRM Free)
    Zafehouse: Diaries (DRM Free)
    Holy Avatar vs. Maidens of the Dead (Desura)
    Zombie Bowl-O-Rama (Steam)
    NecroVisioN – Hardcore Edition (Steam)
    The Haunted: Hells Reach (Steam)

Free bonuses added to each purchase:
    Zombusters (Desura + DRM Free)
    Dead Hungry Diner (Steam + DRM Free)
    Madballs in Babo Invasion + DLC (DRM Free + Steam, PC + MAC)

16. vpillsgold says:

Hey, This means that if you jump and dive, then land right next to some chest high cover, instead of leaning into that cover from the ground, you’ll stand fully upright (link) and then crouch down to get into the cover!

17. MondSemmel says:

Another reminder: The Indie Gala Summer Dream Bundle (http://www.indiegala.com/summerdream) is available for another ~6.5 hours, and it contains all the amazing DROD games (which are not on Steam, so don’t benefit from Steam sales, and are usually really expensive because they belong to such a niche).
    If you enjoy challenging puzzle games – for instance English Country Tune, Puzzle Dimension, Jelly/Hana no Puzzle, or similar, then I highly, highly recommend the series. So many truly ingenious puzzles…