Incoming! Team Fortress 2 Update Of Fixes And Maps

By Jim Rossignol on July 8th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

There are some things that need to fixed in Team Fortress 2. Valve explain: “Unfortunately, as players’ tactics and abilities have grown, so have the bugs and exploits in some of the maps. For example, since Badwater shipped in The Heavy Update, TF2 has added more than 140 weapons to the game, some of which introduced new capabilities: sentry jumping, rocket jumping with no health cost, the ability to pick up and move your buildings. All of these are just a fraction of the many ways players can now turn maps like Badwater upside down.” But there’s also some content on the way, too, with two new maps appearing: ” Introducing two all-new Capture Point maps: Process and Standin. Beyond a great polish, both of these maps offer unique and exciting gameplay; Process with its five streamlined Capture Points and Standin with its triple Cap Point free-for-all.” The new maps are by community mapper Ian Cuslidge, so congratulations to him.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. BenAttenborough says:

“There are some things that need to fixed in Team Fortress 2.” I think that should read “need to BE fixed”

2. baby snot says:

I have never really come across an exploit that couldn’t be nullified by good teamwork, and they add to the variety of tactics. Bit stiff Valve! Still love this game.

3. Bakuraptor says:

I’m very happy to hear that process is being added; it’s a fantastic map that sees a lot of use in the competitive community. I’m quite surprised that cp_standin’s making its way into the official maplist, though – it’s generally been shunned as confusing and hard to play, though it is a lot of random fun on a pub server. That said, it’s great to see more maps being added, and standin does at the very least add a novel new gameplay concept – effectively being a 3-point king-of-the-hill map – to the standard TF2 formula.

Still, I hope that some other popular community maps will make it in at some point- pl_cashworks, cp_snakewater, pl_swiftwater and koth_arctic are all good maps, for example.

4. Radiant says:

A nice straightforward game is now a confusing spaghetti mess of weapons and odd behaviour.
    But it doesn’t matter because the game doesn’t care. And neither do the players which I find interesting.

• Radiant says:

I used to be one of the best snipers in the world.
      Ahhh QWTF.

*puts down reading glasses – shoots self*

• sabasNL says:

Turning the messy spaghetti into ordered, straight penne is what I actually like about the “new” TF2.

Sincerely, a pre-gunsbanonza, pre-communitybanonza, pre-F2P veteran.

5. Dominic White says:

If you only read RPS comments, you’d probably be led to believe that TF2 is a desolate wasteland updated solely by an unfeeling corporate apparatus for reasons unknowable to human minds. The few that do stumble upon it can only lament the Good Old Days.

It’s almost as if we’re not talking about the second most popular game on Steam. That’s second only to the almighty juggernaut that is DOTA 2, and this is in a top-10 list that not even Call of Duty can break into.

Let’s have some perspective – constant, active updates for one of the most popular games on the internet is probably a good thing.

• Kollega says:

I lament the good old days for one reason and one reason only: the game used to have very focused, refined aesthetics, but now it’s a confusing mess of hats, swords, and throwable piss jars. The gameplay has definitely suffered somewhat from the exponential growth of the weapon list, but it’s nothing compared to the nuclear-level devastation of TF2′s once-great style. And that’s the main thing i miss about it.

• pkt-zer0 says:

You could play on vanilla servers, which are devoid of the bazillion tacked-on thingamajigs. They weren’t too populated back when I last played, unfortunately. Which is why I don’t play the game anymore. *sigh*

• TinKelp says:

Is it really all that confusing? Do turtleneck sweaters and luchador masks really make you unable to figure out that the big, fat guy has lots of health and moves slowly? Does the color of his gun make you think it it will do something other than shoot bullets that will hurt you?

• Kollega says:

The color of Heavy’s gun in that example might mean the difference between a standard minigun, Natasha (with the slowdown effect), and Brass Beast (with more damage) – so yes, having to look at the gun’s color to determine what tactics to use is a real thing in TF2. But that’s not the main issue. The main issue is that half the cosmetic items in the game (along with many weapons) completely kill the characters’ themes and unique looks. Remind me again, what does a Native American headdress has to do with minigun-toting Russians?

• Grey Ganado says:

And still this game is a lot easier to read than any other in the genre.

Edit: That genre being FPS. Not class based cartoon FPS.

• TinKelp says:

Yeah, that that’s a huge difference in the way those guns work. By swapping spin up time for more damage it looks like a difference of a whopping 3 tenths of a second.

Knowing the finer details of the guns is great and recommended for best understanding the situation you’re in. But, at the end of the day, the main obstacle to the game is still “the enemy team is shooting at me” and the solution of “I should help my team fire our guns back at them” is just as valid as the day the game debuted.

And Heavy’s first hat was an American football helmet. He has them because they are funny cartoon things for the funny cartoon man in the funny cartoon video game to wear.

• stupid_mcgee says:

A “Native American haddress” is commonly referred to as a War Bonnet. The largest headdresses were worn by the most fearsome, seasoned, and hardened warriors.

That might have something to do with it. Also, perhaps the setting being in the late 60′s in the American Midwest dessert. Cowboy and Indian flicks were really, really, really popular back then.

• Berzee says:

All it really takes is a willingness to spend a couple of nights dying in unexpected ways and saying “Ok, now I know about that.” The Pyro for example MIGHT be a short-range class, a long-range class, a self-healing class, an ambush class, a defender against most (but not all) projectiles, a de-sapper, or someone who deals critical hits underwater. >_<

I'm used to all the weapons by now and am fairly able to adjust on the fly as I see what kind of bullets are coming towards me, but it does get a bit away from their original goal of "See a silhouette, know what you're up against".

HOWEVER I think the new guns are fun and find that they add a nice extra layer of “Loadout Strategy” especially when playing on small-to-mid-sized Arena servers. I just HATE the crafting. I wish I could earn my guns with XP like in Tribes: Ascend instead of doing all that inventory-shuffling busywork. =P

• The Random One says:

You are insane, the Pyro is never a long-range class.

• stupid_mcgee says:

A Pyro with the flare gun plus a lazy body-shot sniper can wreak havoc on a team.

Not ideal, by any means, but I’ve seen Pyros that can be really annoying and slow a push by laying down a lot of flare gun fire.

• Berzee says:

Also (just to be difficult =P) — the big fat guy moves slowly UNLESS he just ate a buffalo steak…or is being whipped by a soldier…or both. In that case you might turn to run and be very surprised to find him keeping up with you. =P

• SkittleDiddler says:

I think claiming Valve is delivering “constant, active updates” for TF2 is just a tad inaccurate, at least in this case. According to various other articles I’ve read covering this news, many of the exploits and glitches Valve are finally getting around to fixing have been present in the game since the Heavy Update premiered in August 2008. That’s almost five years.

That’s the downside of concentrating on releasing a never-ending stream of hats and trinkets — other things just get swept to the side.

• Kaira- says:

Dota 2 seems to be suffering from same kind of problems. Bugs from years ago still exist (like the negative armor bug which is a bit strong nerf against some heroes) with no sight of getting fixed, but if some cosmetic gets bugged? You bet it’s gonna get fixed in few hours in the middle of the night if need be.

• TreuloseTomate says:

I think it’s possible to shoot through the gates during setup on every PL and A/D map there is. These have been obvious and well known bugs for years now, but it seems promotional hats and troll weapons are more important.

• Bakuraptor says:

That hasn’t been possible for quite a while. The one notable remaining bug in that regard is that it’s still possible to shoot, as a sniper, through one tiny crack in the first pl_upward spawn, due to a quirk in the level design. The other one is that you can use a flamethrower through the crack in the A-E connector door in cp_steel, but beyond that Valve has been pretty good in fixing their errors in this regard.

• Comanglia says:

It’s still technically possible to shoot through all gates as Pyro, throw piss/milk, use the sandman through, and if someone is touching a gate usually their arm sticks through and can be shot.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

And it turns out the pyro/milk/jarate through doors ends up being just a silly bit of warmup fun. There’s no reason to stand directly in front of the doors except to taunt the other team, and mostly harmless actions like those provide something to do without affecting the larger game. No particular need to fix it.

Now, when you used to be able to snipe through the doors, or build sentries through them—that was a real problem, and was fixed.

• Dominic White says:

Well, if nearly 400 patches since launch day (37 of them adding major chunks of content) isn’t constant enough for you, you’re probably impossible to please.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I’m less concerned with the number of patches and more concerned with what those patches actually, you know, fix.

• Cinek says:

You know what’s the difference between DOTA2 and TF2? Age of players. TF2 got enormous community made of teenagers and younger kids. Each time I go there trying to relax I get shouted by dumb, jackass kids using both: text and voice chat to express their life frustrations.. jeezz… Perhaps it is one of the most popular games on the internet, but also one of most immature communities in the internet.

• shadow9d9 says:

People make this ridiculous claim about every game. Put some time into finding a good server with mature players. It really isn’t that hard. I even named one earlier in this thread for you…

• Derpa says:

Wait what? TF2 full of immature young people huh?

• derbefrier says:

As an old competitive TFC player. I hated TF2 before it was cool. Well, hate is a strong word. I don’t hate it. I have had some fun with it but I have never quite forgiven Valve for taking away my beloved concussion grenades and have never been able to get into as much as I was in TFC

• Moraven says:

I think I played twice since the new weapons and maybe once since new hats. It was to unfamiliar and confusing to know what was getting shot at me. Never understood the whole crafting and drop system. At this point it feels like it would to much of a grind to even have access to a variety. At least in BF3 the items and variety does not get to wild as I level up. I don’t even notice the leveling up part of the game since I am enjoying it. TF2 makes it feel you should know everything new to enjoy it. And there is not good guide or anything when I boot it up again.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Old men yelling at clouds.

6. airtekh says:

Ooh, new maps you say?

Might have to fire TF2 up and check them out.

7. Cross says:

So, this update might fix the utterly broken mess that is post-2011 TF2? If it does, i might have to return to it.

• varangian says:

Most unlikely. I gave up on TF2 when, every bloody time I felt like playing it, it either decided to update itself (something it could have done any time whilst I was logged into Steam but for some reason didn’t) or, even better, decided to ‘change the content to a more efficient format, this may take a few minutes’. The few minutes frequently turned out to be 20+ by which time I’d long ago lost interest.

Eventually I decided to delete the local content and re-install, hoping this would stop the endless cycle. No such luck, when I tried to re-install Steam announced that there was insufficient room on the disk to load the game that had been there a few seconds before. I don’t know how or why there is so much bloat on Valve games these days but I think the last actual Valve (or sort of) game I played was Black Mesa. And judging by their inability to actually produce any new games that could remain the case for quite a while.

8. Hunchback says:

I’ve been craving for a “simple” shooter lately… A bit tired of all those fancy meta-game-heavy games like BF3, Planetside, etc… I guess i might go DL TF2 again and have a go, it’s always a great game to play if the servers are full :)

• Magnusm1 says:

I think you got them mixed up. TF2 is way more complex and has a much bigger E-sport scene than any of the two you mentioned.

• Leb says:

I don’t believe he said he would be spending some time relaxing in the e-sport scene

• Hunchback says:

By meta-game i mean … meta-game. Base caping, resources, vehicles, level ups, etc.
        I know TF does have some meta with the whole crafting crap and ofc there are classes, but it remains fairly simple and straightforward compared to the others

• Misnomer says:

Yeah I would have to disagree.

BF3 has a straightforward unlocks system. You want something, you know what you have to do to get it.

TF2 seems to add items by the day and the only straightforward way to get it is through the store. Otherwise you are hoping it drops, while getting spammed by people in game wanting to trade or “sell” items to you. Then there is all the unusual items with weird counter things going on and if you haven’t played in some time they have added mechanics like bleed, milk, crit damage status… and all the items that cause these new mechanics.

The strategies that once existed on maps keep changing because of the items as well. The meta is more complex in TF2 and also always seemingly changing. Plus the screen is constantly filled with spammy item related things.

9. Moraven says:

Are there servers that run base TF2? No new weapons?

10. Jason Moyer says:

TF2 Classic please. I would buy the game a second time for this.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Alternatively you could just use the server browser to find vanilla servers & play on them with the game you already own just like a billion* people above you already said.

*may not be an accurate representation of the number of posts.

11. x3m157 says:

I’ve just been spending all my time on Orange x3 actually…

12. Ernesto25 says:

It amazes me why people still are surprised when i get miffed about a game i plaid full price for being changed beyond all recognition and then made F2P. It also amazed me that rps comments are seen as mostly “negative” about tf2 the majority i read are fairly positive which is fine by the way. The “less is more ” mantra really applied to tf2 . More maps are always nice and this update looks aload better than alot of the other (imo unecessary) updates.

Comment on this story