Prettier Than a Billionty Pictures: Ittle Dew

By Craig Pearson on July 8th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

The game is so winning that I chose to use concept art up here instead of a screenshot
It is the year 2311, and coffee tables have been banned. In fact, anything that’s basically a ledge that rests at shin height has been decreed an enemy of the state by the Grand Unseer. She also banned glasses, binoculars, and contact lenses for being “a vicious mockery from the Visionists”. Also: 3D glasses. The great purge began on July 5th, 2013. That was the release date of gorgeous indie game ittle Dew, a puzzley adventure game that’s so pretty that some who watched the trailer chose to deliberately blind themselves. People stared directly at the sun, welcoming the milky darkness that enveloped them, choosing being “unvisioned” over using their eyes on things that weren’t ittle Dew. See if you agree, for I have embedded the trailer below.

It is lovely, but I’ve decided to keep my sight in order play the game when I get a copy. It has a case of the Zeldas, as you can see in the viewpoint, puzzles, and the lead character’s everything. But there’s a vein of silliness that feels inspired by Adventure Time: one of the other characters is an Easter Island head that would be a calm, relaxed figure if someone hadn’t taped wings to him. He’s afraid of heights.

So what side are you on: Visionists or Unseers?

Via IndieGames.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. lowprices says:

Proof, if proof be need be, that you don’t need more graphics to make a prettier game. Just more Art Directions.

2. Koozer says:

I demand a 3DS version.

3. Anthile says:

Oh wow. There’s “inspired by” and then there’s “serial numbers filed off”.

• aliksy says:

Mm. Does look a whole lot like Zelda. But since there aren’t any PC ports of Zelda games, I’ll take it. (There aren’t any ports, right? Because nintendo hates money or something)

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Psh. Forget zelda, let’s call these games Isaac-like.
        (not so easy if Zelda was a huge part of your childhood)

• Mudlab says:

I vote for Apocalypse Abyss-like!

Anyone?

…anyone? =(

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

I don’t get the Isaac/Zelda comparisons. Other than the art design being a nod to the original NES game, BOI is nothing like Zelda. It’s a twin-stick arena shooter, Smash TV style.

• jrodman says:

There’s a similarity to exploring Zelda 1 dungeons, which is pretty obvious.
            That doesn’t make the whole game to be sure, but it’s hard to miss.

• ProtoMan says:

The puzzles, the perspective, the combat, the setting to some degree. I don’t really see much of it in the art, honestly, but oh well.
            It’s not as though it’s unwelcome or anything, it’s just pretty obviously similar to zelda. Like anodyne.

• darkChozo says:

Somehow I think that Nintendo would lose more than they’d gain by giving up their first party exclusives. Because, you know, Nintendo.

• jrodman says:

Maybe so, but do they really need to keep the re-releases on virtual console tied to their consoles?

I mean, I’m okay with having pirated them over the years, but if they’d put them on steam or gog or whatever, I’d certainly buy them.

• darkChozo says:

Well, to be fair, the Virtual Console is a pretty major (if understated) feature of the Wii [U]/3DS. It’s pretty much the GoG of consoleland.

I mean, it probably wouldn’t hurt for them to release their NES/SNES titles on PC as a legitimate alternative to emulation, but they might sacrifice income from crazy people who’ll spend 400 dollars on a Wii U in order to get Super Metroid for 30 cents.

• jrodman says:

I’d mind buying a wii-u or whatever a lot less if it wasn’t planned to go stale and stop being made in a few short years.

But since it is, that’s what keeps me saying “hey, when are you going to release on PC?”

• Lemming says:

There’s a word you may want to look up, it’s called satire.

4. LTK says:

Is that a transparent header image? WITCHCRAFT!

5. LogicalDash says:

Ehh…art style a lot like Wind Waker, but everything has that effect where the outline wibbles and wobbles even when it’s standing still. I don’t understand what that’s for. Is it meant to give the impression that the characters are not quite standing still while they talk? Because it fails at that. It doesn’t really look like anything apart from “why can’t i, hold all these lines?”

6. Snidesworth says:

Picked this up a few days ago and it’s quite a short game, though ostensibly one designed for speedruns. You pick up three tools throughout the game, though you only need acquire any two to finish it. The game keeps track of your best times for each combination and there’s multiple solutions and routes to accommodate each.

It starts off being quite ordinary, if charming, though as soon as you snag the Portal Wand things improve quite a bit and by the time you reach the last boss things have become quite complex (and hectic). I’m not sure if I could recommend it at its current price but it’s definitely worth taking a look at.

Oh, and if anyone knows the solution to the 4th Master Cave puzzle then please tell me because to the best of my knowledge it’s outright impossible.

• bobjello says:

if you dont know it by now this is what you must know…
      you can shoot your ice wand shot to a teleport block
      so to beat it you have to get your teleport block to the center of the spikes then shoot the wall and teleport your ice wand shot to either or the fire things

7. Tei says:

The aliens know that about 70% of all gamers have grown playing nintendo games. The aliens can’t do nothing against people that has grown with the spectrum, the commodore and other computers. But can use the nintendo kids weakness point to destroy us: nostalgia. For some insane reason these nintendo people live on nostalgia, and get crazy when get something that looks like the princess of zelda or pokemones.

This game is sooo obviusly made by these aliens to destroy our productivity, having these 70% of gamers completelly mesmericed by the very stylish and pretty design :(

8. Dowr says:

A parody of Zelda? Well, let’s hope it doesn’t suck like Zelda.

• aliksy says:

Well, I’m convinced that the Zelda games suck now! No, wait, I’m not. Try again.

• CatonLap says:

IMO, the last few Zelda games (especially the 3DS ones) have been pretty lacking, and generally geared toward the less hardcore audiences. Or maybe I’m just not crazy about train simulations in my adventure games.

• jrodman says:

Wait, zelda is *hardcore* now?
          Can we retire this word already?

• Koozer says:

But how else can we identify ourselves from those dirty casuals?

• CatonLap says:

I’m just saying it was aimed at kids. There’s way more hand-holding. Also, I just plain don’t like travelling around via a train/ship/eagle that controls completely differently from the rest of the game. I understand Nintendo wants to show off their fancy peripherals, but I miss the Link to the Past style games that were a bit more open-world.

9. Hunchback says:

This is the oh-so-pretty 2d game you were talking about?
    I love the way RPS exaggerates things usually, but also usually it’s based on quite a bit of truth, and to be honest this looks totally meh, visually and conceptually.

I guess Dust, An Elysian Tail kinda spoiled me…

10. Bhazor says:

The game looks great. The satire looks rubbish.

11. deadpan says:

I don’t know about this, Legend of Princess set the bar for self-aware Zelda clones pretty high.

12. Frank says: