S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MISERY 2.0 Will Make Summer Grimmer

By Craig Pearson on July 8th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Oh god, I want a new Stalker so so much
The sun is beating the UK into sweaty submission. Flowers are blooming, there is blue where there’s usually grey, and lollypops are the staple food source. Summer has finally decided to show up and make the world brighter and sort of happier, so this weekend I closed the curtains and spent my off-time fiddling with Stalker. I decided I wanted to pretty up the original game: I wanted pitch black nights, livelier fauna, blowouts, lovely skies, and more interesting weather. Unfortunately I’d forgotten I’d already modded it, so I ended up with a broken mutant of a game. I’m reinstalling now. It wasn’t at total waste: on my hunt for the Shadow Of Chernobyl mods I discovered that the long-awaited Misery 2.0 for Call Of Pripyat is out this month. And it has a trailer.

Knowing Misery 2.0 was out there has kept me from returning to Pripyat, hence me modding the first game instead. It’s a kitchen sink mod, touching on every part of the game and using other mods when it needs to. Diverse NPCs, faction fiddles, additional economics, and a reworked UI are all in there. But I’m most interested in the world receiving an update, so the promises of tweaked atmospherics (distant weather!), and an enhanced grass distance really did make me excited. It’s one of those particularly Stalkery trailers, with sweeping landscape shots and text that’s tough to read, but with every glimpse it makes you want to reinstall.

So naturally I just uninstalled Pripyat and wiped every mention of it from my HD. I’m not going to flub this install up. Come July 31st, I shall be ready.

And now a request: when I first visited GSC to see the original Stalker, it had a mode that let them watch the Zone without taking part in it. They even had an overview that tracked the movement of all the actors in the Zone. Was that command ever discovered? I’d imagine not, but I can only hope.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Kelron says:

The impression I get from Misery is that they’ve tried to make everything look bleak and “post-apocalyptic”. Seems like they’ve taken a lot of the colour out of the game and shrouded it in mist. One of the things I like about Stalker is that the sun still shines, the Zone still looks alive, even if half the inhabitants are horrible mutants.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Indeed. When it’s not trying to kill you, the Zone can be really quite lovely.

• NetsukeMonkey says:

I seem to remember a lot of SoC being very dirty shades of grey and green and my first impression of CoP was that it looked relatively pleasant in comparison. CoP weather was absolutely beautiful but personally I’m at my most happiest in the Zone when it’s raining, grey and miserable so this mod looks like a win for me,

• steves says:

Brutal soviet architecture. Crumbling concrete pillars. Some kind of oil pipeline covering a train of military vehicles. And some blobby-looking rocks, a few bushes and a murky river.

Yeah, quite lovely;)

Of all the things STALKER lacked, a “bleak and post-apocalyptic” atmosphere wasn’t one of them.

That said, the graphics hold up very well for something so old, especially with mods, and I really enjoyed the atmosphere.

• Elementlmage says:

Especially considering that the Stalker: SoC engine dates from 2001 and still has DirectX7 support!

And, as far as I am concerned, all of the Stalker games still have the best lighting engine of any game ever. The level of detail and contrast are just absolutely amazing.

• LoNer1 says:

Hey man,

I’m part of the MISERY team and I’ve been cooking up something just for MISERY as addon for the players who either dislike the grime and dead look of misery, or just want to mix things up a bit. It will feature HQ vegetation, textures and it will make the zone look, like you were saying, pretty while it’s still trying her best to kill you!

See my mod here: (if you go to the video’s area you’ll see a CoP variant which I’m actively working on)

2. sicbanana says:

Well, Germany can’t watch that clip…once again. There seems to be some licensed background music in it. (Hmpf, really, this is just ridiculous)

• Morlock says:

Hotspot Shield is your friend…

• Contrafibularity says:

If you’re going to recommend a freemium VPN, you could at least recommend one that isn’t obliged by the Patriot Act to share 100% of their data with the US government therefore not actually constituting a real VPN.

That goes double if you’re Anonymous, an activist living in an autocracy or dictatorship (especially Bahrain, Kuwait and countries where the US is actively hindering popular uprisings due to “economic” or “strategic” self-interest and short-sightedness). Or if you’ve ever had an opinion about anything, really, given that we now know (as opposed to just suspect) that any and all forms of activism are monitored as if it were terrorism.

The point being never recommend bad VPN in this day and age, it might get someone arrested, killed or worse.

• Obc says:

i use the proxytube addon for firefox and can see the video.

• Nova says:

Or http://www.youtubeunblocker.org, if you don’t want to install anything.

3. jackthename says:

What an awesomely immersive game. One of the best ever made.

“Enhanced sleeping bag mod” — orchestral swell

Says about everything you need to know.

4. Orija says:

That model seen in the screenshot above seems like a new one to me, is it? If, yes, could anyone point me to the relevant mod (and others like it.)?

5. Leb says:

I never actually played through Pripyat – enjoyed Vanilla SOC though.

I will perhaps give this a look

6. albertino says:

holy moley – the drama! Strings and dubstep. My head just exploded.

7. kataras says:

Sounds good and the improvements/additions make it sound really interesting. I guess it helps they have some of the authors of the best STALKER mods on board.

I m not a big fan of no colour either. I think part of the scaryness of the Zone is that it mostly looks ‘normal’ until you get up close.

Only thing missing is a mod that incorporates all known maps into CoP with AI.

8. Quinnbeast says:

Despite 2-3 goes playing SoC, I’d never played through to the end. In the beginning this was down to game bugs (since been patched) where it would have a spazout during the red forest map and I just couldn’t progress beyond a certain point.

In more recent attempts my little brain wandered off to other pastures before I had finished. Last week however, I finally finished a proper play through using a variation of the guide below. I didn’t bother with the Stalker Complete / Weather Overhaul part since this ended up crashing my game for some reason. The Autumn Aura mod worked as a good substitute for Step 3 though. All-in, it makes SoC feel like a newer and fresher beast.

And now that I’ve finished SoC, I can finally allow myself to play CoP. Yaaaaay.

• clumsyandshy says:

So you can’t play Call of Pripyat or Clear Sky if you haven’t finished SoC then? I think I got like 40 hours in through SoC with comlete mod before losing interest.
      This looks awesome though – love the atmosphere!

• Quinnbeast says:

Just a personal thing really. You could easily enjoy CoP without finishing SoC, I just wanted to see how the story panned out before getting in to “the next bit”. These games are more about the setting and the atmosphere over and above any story (which is fairly lightweight). For some reason, I felt obliged to finish the first one…

• clumsyandshy says:

Alright, thanks. Maybe I’ll just jump right into CoP then and experience the atmosphere :) That was the main draw with STALKER for me anyways.

• Grey Poupon says:

SoC had a pretty neat story though. Above average in my eyes. Still don’t know what the alternate endings are apart from the one which was a bad one. The two sequels had next to none which was a bit sad, CoP felt quite unfinished even in the story department. The game just abruptly ends.

• fish99 says:

Did you realize it has multiple endings btw, and the good endings let you see a lot more of the NPP and explain WTF is going on?

• Quinnbeast says:

Yeah, I remember from a while back that that the game hints at different endings depending on whether or not you meet with Guide, i.e. The Wish Granter vs the true endings. Not seen any of the former, but both of the latter.

• fish99 says:

Cool, nice to hear that :)

Btw if you have a save outside the reactor room (where the bad endings are), it’s worth going in there just to see that room.

9. Meneldil says:

Oh S.T.A.L.K.E.R, oh, Zone, if only you knew how much I miss you…

I need to replay SoC and CoP at some point in my life.

10. Lava Croft says:

Sadly, Misery gets a lot of attention, while actually being on of the lesser impressive and fun of the Stalker mods out there.

Start here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1824863

11. HudsonMC says:

This mod looks very compelling. I actually just bought this game and I am fixing to start a playthrough. Should I install this mod first, knowing that I will probably only play through this game once…?

• loner85 says:

Well, you should at first play the original game of course, the difficulty will be much harder with Misery. If you never played any STALKER, I’d recommend you to play Shadow of Chernobyl first, Clear Sky wasn’t worth its money.

• HudsonMC says:

I did play SoC, and loved it. I didn’t make it through Clear Sky, but definitely got the impression that that wasn’t a big deal. I don’t mind difficulty, in fact, I might prefer it that way. We’ll see I suppose.

• Arglebargle says:

Clear Sky had a great intro, and I really loved the initial swamp area. After that, design decisions (and bugs and other brokeness) caused the game to go downhill. At a certain point it became too tight of a linear shooter for me. Cheap enough, it could be worth playing, until you reach your particular breaking point.

• Meneldil says:

Not worth the money? You can find Clear Sky for less than 5€ during sales on Gamersgate or Steam. Even at 30€ it would still be better than a whole lot of AAA games, but for 5€, you can’t go wrong. The swamp, ghost city and red forest are all great moments.

• loner85 says:

My point is there that I bought it for the full price back in 2008. Today I’d buy it, sure, with the mods it is worth 50€+ I guess.

• malkav11 says:

The only STALKER mods I’d recommend for a first playthrough are the Complete mods, which do wonderful things for atmosphere, polish and playability without substantially altering gameplay.

12. loner85 says:

Yes, Misery is a great mod with new survival elements for stalker, showing its full potential. Sure, there are other great mods, but this one is unique.

About your request: The free-flying mode (where you can ‘watch the zone without taking part in it’) is a console command. You can open the console via ^-Key (standard) and then you type “demo_record 1″.

• kataras says:

That’s true but once you leave the AI’s online radius it doesn’t spawn anymore. Unless you hover around the point where you left your character, you only see empty landscape. Would be cool if you could fly around triggering AI as well.

13. jonahcutter says:

My first SoC playthrough was with the Redux mod, and it stands as one of the most intense and memorable experiences in gaming I’ve ever had.

I’ve lusted for an experience like that again.

I took a couple stabs at Clear Sky and CoP, both with vanilla and mods, but I never seemed to get traction with them. Might be time to take another shot at CoP.

14. Lokik says:

That looks pretty amazing. Guess I finally have to buy the first game and actually finish it before going into this one. I remember enjoying the original despite some grievances, like the enemies being way too bullet spongy.

Is there some kind of a Huge Ultimate Mod™ for Shadow of Chernobyl that improves the game a lot in the vein of Jagged Alliance 2 1.13, Fallout 2 Restoration Project etc? I really don’t want to start digging and installing dozens of small mods to make it “perfect”. Doing that for New Vegas is enough for me. :P

• Stellar Duck says:

I’ve had a great time with the Complete mod for SoC but I do know that plenty of purists dislike it for fiddling with too many things.

• kataras says:

Personally my problem is the visuals (too clean), the fact that it also has a cheat mod built-in and that it makes some things like shooting easier. I just think there are other mods, that Complete incorporated like the Zone Reclamation Project, that do bugfixes without changing many things. Each to his/her own I guess…

15. Flappybat says:

I’ve tried playing a couple of these mods before and they made the game ball bustingly difficult. Forget being able to run, carry more than two guns and have every bit of combat gobble up your healing items.

• Phendron says:

To top that line off, Misery 2.0 has an alternate start option, ‘The Black Road’.

Basically, you get ambushed and knocked out on your way to the start, and end up with nothing but a knife.

16. Njordsk says:

okay, OKAY OKAY, I’ll play it a fourth time. Damn modders.

17. Shooop says:

I’ve only played the game with the Complete mod before. Tried to run Misery 1.0 but it was horribly unstable. Couldn’t get past the intro.

I’m looking forward to trying this, but I’m not keen on all the talk about so much more difficulty. How much more difficult can the game be before it’s cheap? The mutants are already bullet-sponges in the base game and Complete.

18. JustAchaP says:

This’ll probably the first Stalker mod I try. I can never decide which ones to install

19. rayo153 says:

This + Oculus Rift… one can only dream…

20. Mittens89 says:

If anyone hasn’t bought the game yet and is looking for a cheap deal, you can buy it at http://www.thegamecollection.net/ for a massive £1.95. I played SoC, but never CoP so I’m very much looking forward to trying this out, especially as the game is 2 quid.

21. Vermintide says:

Oh man I can’t wait. I have such very fond memories of SoC with the Oblivion Lost mod.

I remember once recruiting all of the guys from the Freedom base to come with me into the bloodsucker village… And all of them being picked off, slowly, one-by-one, Predator style… Until it was just me and another dude who was mortally wounded, holing up in a house because I didn’t want to leave him, too frightened to move and no medkits… Truly no game has ever come close to the atmosphere of Stalker.

22. Sunjammer says:

What a weird trailer. Just listing up other mods like I know what they are or what they imply.

Comment on this story