FINALLY: Superior Spelunky PC-Bound In August

By Nathan Grayson on July 9th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Maybe it's full of candy! Or snakes!

Thirty thirty thirty four days agoooooooo, I wanted Spelunky on PC to be dated. Nothing to do, nowhere to goOOoo, I wanted Spelunky on PC to be dated. Just get it on my level, put it on my plane. Hurry hurry hurry, before this song gets more inane. [Consoles] can’t control my fingers, they can’t control my brain. Oh no no no no no.

Oh hey, Mossmouth just slapped a date on it. Hooray! My tireless campaign of utterly butchering classic punk songs has finally paid off.

The harder, better, faster, stronger (oh fine, I won’t eviscerate any Daft Punk songs) version of the beloved roguelike platformer is hitting PC on August 8th. Steam and GOG will carry it in equal (read: infinite) quantities, so run, don’t walk to get it pretty much whenever you feel like it.

It’s a truly marvelous little thing, and I have no idea what took so long. It doesn’t matter now though, because this positions it perfectly to fill the giant void in my life that’ll begin devouring all my positive emotions as soon as I finish Rogue Legacy. Hurrah for temporary solutions to a much more distressing existential problem!

Anyway, here’s a fittingly ancient trailer. Also, if you want to try the original Spelunky, you can grab a free download here. Happy Spelunkerererering.

, , .

1. rb2610 says:

Goodness, you butchered those songs worse than Butcher Pete D:

2. Koojav says:

Shame they’ll release that right after Steam Summer Sale, their initial sales will feel that for sure.

• Captain Joyless says:

What makes you think the Steam Summer Sale will be before August? No real indication that it’s happening anytime soon, and they missed July 4th already, so why not August?

welverin says:

Summer Claim Checks, Summer Crates to a lesser extent, but most significantly the Steam Trading Cards were taken out of beta (though I’m not finding evidence of it now, did I imagine that?), and Mystery Cards. All of those lead me to think it will happen sooner rather than later.

• Monkeh says:

Summer Event in Killing Floor, which is also always during the Summer Sale. Wouldn’t be surprised if it happened today or at least very soon (read: within three weeks).

Ontopic: Can’t freaking wait for Spelunky HD! Never really got into regular Spelunky, since I only found out about it after Spelunky HD was announced/released (don’t remember when exactly) and couldn’t play the old version, knowing there was a new and improved version out there. :P

• Koojav says:

Last year it started on 11th and they like starting things on Thursdays ;)

3. Baboonanza says:

One of my proudest gaming achievements is winning the free version of Spelunky from start to finish in under 10 minutes (~8:30 in fact).

I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to do that again but gosh-darn it I’m going to try!

4. Ergates_Antius says:

“Thirty thirty thirty four days agoooooooo”
    So, 83 years ago?

5. suibhne says:

Someday I’d really like GOG.com and/or Steam to start listing confirmed games as “Coming Soon” or somesuch, so I could wishlist them rather than cross my fingers that RPS will remind me (and I will notice the reminder) at release.

6. Jeremy says:

You will never finish Rogue Legacy… NG+ will make you feel like a little weakling all over again.

On the topic of Spelunky, are there any significant differences to the formula with this release? I enjoyed the art style of the original release, and I also played it to death, so is there any reason for me to pick this up?

• disperse says:

Improved graphics (I liked the original sprites but think the new graphics look better), support for wide screen resolutions, unlockable characters, new secret levels, multiplayer coop…

• twig_reads says:

Yes, it’s not only a graphical redo, but has added content also. Not that much, but justifiable for purchace. Plus it has multiplayer, both coop and dm, if that’s your fancy.

7. Solidstate89 says:

Thirty thirty thirty four days agoooooooo

….You wanted to be sedated?

8. The Pink Ninja says:

FINALLY!

9. MrTambourineMan says:

On Spelunkyworld it says in big letters 8/8. Oh man, god damn nazis again.

10. Samreen M says:

Interesting modification of the song! Spelunky is one of the best games I have ever played. The adventure of exploring underground tunnels and gathering treasure in Spelunky really gives us an entertaining pastime when we had
    Nothin’ to do and no where to go-o-oh.

Samreen M