Space Jam In Starbound

By Craig Pearson on July 9th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Play that funky music, space boy.
I’m still waiting for Starbound to be released, and I blame David Bowie. If he hadn’t gone to space to make an album of space lounge songs with Flight of the Conchords, the Starbound developers wouldn’t have spent the time and effort to try and ape him. So instead of playing the game right now, which is what definitely would be happening if David Bowie didn’t exist, all I have to show you is a video of the latest crafting items that they’ve made for the game: musical instruments. After a long day Starbounding, if you just want to relax with friends, maybe pick up an instrument and have a “jam”, you totally can.

The instruments will be playable, but they can also be fed ABC files to make music. As long as you understand the ABC notation system (I do not), or can at least acquire the text files you’ll need (I can do that!) I’d imagine the community will be generating, you can make sweet space music together with your crew. So far there’s 20 working instruments in the game, and I can only there’s room in space for whatever it is that’s being played at the start of Jožin z bažin.

The video is missing any animations, but it’s still charming. Don’t watch this one if you don’t want that Portal song stuck in your head all day. I have another below for you.

And here’s an early version, which makes me think of a school recital. It’s super cute.

The lovely animated development roadmap says it’s out 2013. I can’t wait.

Via PCGamesN.

, .

1. DiscorderlyChaos says:

Glorious Space odesay

2. portchd says:

I love the Fleur de lis (think thats how you spell it) I am going to play the living hell out of this game when it comes out…

• Aldrnari says:

It’s Fur Elise, you are thinking of the (nautical, I think?) symbol, but I agree that one is amazing and so shall this game be!

3. Cryptoshrimp says:

I’m very excited for this!

bglamb says:

Ditto. This has been top of my list of games I can’t wait to play for a while now!

Bluerps says:

The only thing that worries me a bit about this game is that they are adding so much stuff. It’s all very awesome, but sometimes I wonder if they will ever finish development.

• kirby_freak says:

They said that they work on stuff not on the to do list on weekends to keep themselves motivated, so it shouldn’t be getting in the way of their progress that much. I have references too! :D

It’s the June 30th post on that one. Also here’s the quote if you don’t want to click the link. :P

“So today is a Sunday. Which means it’s our day off and of course we spend our day off working on Starbound!

During weekends we allow ourselves to work on things that aren’t part of the beta todo list. It’s a good way of going fresh and motivated into a new week.”

5. HexagonalBolts says:

Weren’t there some other promising Terraria-alikes coming out?

I was asking on this thread (about alphas/kickstarters) before but didn’t have any success: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?10995-Successes-of-crowd-funding-alpha-funding-and-indie

• hemmingjay says:

Unfortunately most of them are turning out rather……blah or confusing at best like Edge of Space. I commend anyone for trying to follow Terraria, but this is the only one to not only come close but to blow it out of the water.

• dzon says:

Darkout does seem quite interesting.

• Mokinokaro says:

Darkout is rather decent, yes. The last time I played a patch had introduced a pretty bad bug and it took the devs a while to hammer out what caused it.

But the game’s a pretty good scifi Terraria-like that heavily emphasizes the survival aspect.

• frightlever says:

I picked up Darkout in a bundle and tried it…. a little bit. One of those games that needs a Youtube tutorial to explain exactly what you should be doing for the first hour or so. Sure, you can figure it out eventually but you’re going to have a lot of confusing, frustrating deaths.

6. Prime says:

Yes. This game. NOW, plees.

Also: props to what might be the cutest roadmap page ever to grace the ‘Net.

Lastly, Roadmap page says release in 2013. It is now 2103, and there is no game. I is confused.

Harlander says:

It’s 2103? Oh man, all the food in my fridge will have gone off

• benkc says:

That explains why the work day has felt so long.

• Chalky says:

Why do you always ruin our dreams, future man? :(

7. hemmingjay says:

I am pretty sure they are going to sell 500k-1 million copies of this gem in the first 6 months. The appeal is far greater than the usual indie title and Terraria laid the groundwork for them. It couldn’t happen to a better bunch of people either. Cheers.

• level12boss says:

Nope. As advanced as the gameplay may be, the 2D side-scrolling builder genre is just too niche to get a following on the scale of your average bona fide PC blockbuster. That said, this game will do very well indeed, as the 65K units and $1.5M in pre-sales attest to.

• MattM says:

If I were betting I would take 500k in the first 9 months after release. It has the smell of being a breakout hit.

8. level12boss says:

You tease. I thought the band was going to actually play Michael Jackson’s notable world-smashing hit “Space Jam”, complete with basketball playing bunnies. I am disappoint.

9. Sparkasaurusmex says:

I believe this music format (ABC) is the same thing that LOTRO uses.

10. lordfrikk says:

Well, Jožin z Bažin was the last thing I expected to see mentioned when I clicked on an article about Starbound. I am Czech and even I don’t know what kind of hellish instrument is that (nor what Ivo Pešák’s dance is supposed to be).