Spam Fisher: Another Splinter Cell: Blacklist Video

By Craig Pearson on July 9th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

I miss Clint Hocki'ng's Sam
Splinter Cell: Blacklist is basically Splinter Cell: Conviction 2. I spent a few hours with it last week and came to that conclusion, but I’m not allowed to say anything else. The NDA is watching me. That’s not a complaint, btw. I really enjoyed Conviction, and more of that will do me just fine. Anyway, I also think it’s obvious from the videos they’ve released that Blacklist is sitting on Conviction’s shoulders. There’s a bit in the video below where Sam has to break cover and chase the boss of a terrorist cell, which is one of the previous game’s more annoying additions to the series. They’ve brought the bad with the good.

This isn’t actually a very good representation of what I played: they’ve once again chosen to focus on the explosive (ramming a gas plant with a tanker is hilariously OTT) and the generic (hooray, a warehouse!); the game I played had some really interesting locations, and I could happily sneak through them. In fact, a fair few of them demanded stealth. I very nearly didn’t write about the trailer, but there’s a sequence with a heavy guard and a sticky camera that won me over. It’s so stupid that it instantly made me want to try it.

I promise to write up my thoughts before the August 23rd release date. I have things to say about Sam’s upgradeable pants.

, .

1. BobbyDylan says:

Looks like shit.

2. Syra says:

What do you call a guy on a boat full of tins?

3. Monkeh says:

Hm doesn’t look terrible, but certainly doesn’t look very Splinter Cell-esque. To me it looks a bit like a mix of Uncharted and Batman. Not of the same quality of course.

4. reggiep says:

I was never a fan of the chase sections either. What I really like about Splinter Cell is the ability to choose how I want to tackle a given section along with how fast or slow I want to do it. Leave the chases to AssCreed.

5. Faxmachinen says:

I thought I’d seen it all when it comes to contrived stories.

1. Terrorist wanting to blow shit up, goes “I know! I’ll use a virus and an oil tanker!”
    2. Sending in a single spec-op specializing in stealth. Firefighters? What are those?
    3. Single oil tanker apparently able to trash entire facility, yet only mildly catch it on fire.

Edit: I Played Metro: Last Light the other day, and between the sneaking and the shooting of light bulbs, it appeared much more Splinter Cell than this trailer.

Craig Pearson says:

Like I said, it’s not very representative of what I experienced. They’re being all bang-whizz for some odd reason.

• Brun says:

It’s easier to work action sequences into trailers and commercials, mainly because you can show off action in a series of short clips (which naturally lend themselves to a movie-like trailer), but a stealth sequence would need more uninterrupted time to play out. DXHR and the new Thief game have done the same thing.

• Faxmachinen says:

Perhaps, but showing a man running through explosions and shooting people with guns in a game that looks like we’re still in 2004 doesn’t really do it any favors.

• Syra says:

“An elite, clandestine ‘spec-ops’ unit”

says it all for me. More redundancy pleaseeeeeee narrator.

6. airtekh says:

I look forward to hearing your thoughts Craig.

I quite enjoyed Conviction as well, so if this game is more of that, then I should have a good time with it.

• Syra says:

Also looking fwd to a WIT, I really loved conviction and particularly enjoyed the coop… this approach to fast paced/arcade stealth may not be for all stealth fans but I enjoy the contrast to purer stealth games.

Just hope there will be a community of people to play with on PC this time. With conviction I bought it for a friend just so I had a coop buddy.

7. Wurstwaffel says:

This looks a lot like conviction, which was a good game.

8. Cronstintein says:

I liked conviction, looking forward to this title. I hope the environments are large/wide enough to feel like there’s some freedom for solving the various puzzles.

9. Moni says:

Hey, Sam Fisher had a somewhat witty one-liner when he grabbed that guy, almost like the old interrogation dialogue.

It sort of feels like they’re trying to homage the older games, but not quite getting the point. For example, the in-world objective text was a really cool thing in Conviction, here it’s kind of there, but as a not as interesting floating block of text.

Also the lights on Fisher’s suit have a lot of glare coming off them, which makes it a little hard to make out his shape in the dark, the complete opposite effect that the lights were meant to achieve.

• zontax says:

Lens-flares should stop. I’m not playing a floating camera, I am playing Sam Fischer.

I just want a spiritual successor to chaos theory.

• KenTWOu says:

And Chaos Theory had really impressive floating camera with fisheye lens.

• Brun says:

There’s no reason they couldn’t (or shouldn’t) continue in third person games. You’re obviously not seeing things from Sam’s eyes if the perspective is from behind him, you’re viewing the world through a “magic floating camera” – that leaves including lens flares as largely an artistic choice.

First person games are a different story as you are literally seeing things through the eyes of the player character, so unless they’re wearing some kind of optics (goggles, visor, glasses, etc.) lens flares are not appropriate.

10. Alchenar says:

Does every game have to shoe-horn an edgy ‘burning people to death’ weapon in now?

• Syra says:

Yes, obviously or the massive pyromaniac player base wouldn’t purchase.

I quite liked the way it looked as if the guy was about to stop drop and roll. Why don’t game enemies do this obvious thing and then get back up into the fight?! WOULD MAKE SO MUCH MORE SENSE.

11. KenTWOu says:

Sneaky Bastards Hands-On: And what’s going to push the AI into search mode? A whole range of factors that players must stay apprised of. If an enemy is in a radio conversation with another AI, knocking out that enemy mid-sentence will cause the AI on the other end of the radio to become suspicious. Furthermore, enemies will start to notice if their colleagues are disappearing one-by-one. Breaking multiple lights, especially within the AI’s vision, can also be a cause for alarm.

Sound is also a key factor. Fisher essentially has six movement speeds: two when crouched, two when standing, and then a free-running-like Active Sprint mode for both crouched and standing. According to Redding, any movement is going to generate a small noise event. The severity of that event will change depending upon the selected difficulty level. In realistic or perfectionist mode, anything above the crouched, slow walk will create noise. As Fisher increases speed, the radius of detection widens. Of course, if he sprints, enemies will hear him no matter what.

12. Vagrant says:

I liked Conviction, too. The biggest complaint with Conviction was the level designs got more flat as the game progressed, in more ways than one. There was zero verticality to a few levels, and there wasn’t much depth to how to engage different scenarios in most of the later game. The last level was particularly bad, devolving into a cover-based shooter with no real options.

• LennyLeonardo says:

This is precisely what I thought. The mansion at the beginning was the most fun by far, right?

13. amrobot says:

Did they lose their entire voice acting budget? Sam goes from sounding like a gruff old 50 year old man in Conviction to what? Some random 30 year old? That black guy in the trailer too, what is up with that voice?

I was actually looking forward to this, but I guess August is just the month of Saints Flow.

14. tnzk says:

I mean, it’s not bad looking, but… it’s lukewarm, and thus I will spit it out of my mouth.

Has there been a Kickstarter that apes the old-school Splinter Cell experience? Whether as primitive as the first one, or as excellent as the third, I just want some slow-paced, uber-realistic stealth game.