DekkoScan Takes Pics And Builds Minecraft Worlds

By Craig Pearson on July 10th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

staring eye
Yes, I am reporting on an iPhone app, but one that has interesting implications for the PC version of Minecraft, as well as science-fiction. While drifting through the Reddit rapids this morning, I happened upon DekkoScan and did a double-take. It’s a phone app that allows you to take pictures of objects and turn them into Minecraft maps, which seems like something that should already exist. It’s currently awaiting Apple’s approval (aren’t we all), but soon you’ll be able to photograph anything and cram them into Minecraft. Great! Now I have to worry about a wizard taking my photo and turning me into a hill in Minecraft. The horror of being hollowed out, chipped away, or reformed into a penis statue is creeping me out.

It’s clearly the first step of the technology: the phone’s memory limitations, and Minecraft’s blockiness, means it’ll never be a perfect match, and it’s currently limited to a 128×128 output, but I’m happy enough with the poster’s outcome. The in-game object really does resemble the real-world owl.

It went from this.

To this.

There are other methods of achieving this, but as this tutorial shows they tend to involve multiple photos and multiple programs. I’m going to give it a go, but I can see me using the app more than a daisy chain of programs.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Not on Android, then?

• running fungus says:

My best friend’s sisters boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night, and made $32043 doing it. Your classmate’s step-aunt is practically slave labour.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

My daughter’s mother’s sister-in-law’s brother just read this comment and lost $.10 in the process as a dime rolled from his pocket into a crevice in his desk chair.

• psz.TM says:

That’s technically a deposit (interest free though) until some freak earning $32043 per month finds it and sends it to Nigeria to his old pal Mgumbu Mgumbu to pay off the bank fees for the $100 mill. transfer he is so eagerly waiting for since last year.

2. Koozer says:

Is that Minecraft owl in one plane (ish)? If they had the time/money/inclination, they could let a user take 2 pictures, tell the software how far apart the shots were, and it could do 3D representation.

It would also open up the possibility of trying to break it/give yourself nightmares by using 2 completely different photos of a dog and a squirrel.

3. McDan says:

Could someone take a picture of this article and turn it into a minecraft map.

4. DestructibleEnvironments says:

Oh jolly, now I no longer have to craft piles of penis pillars from imagination.

5. Dominic White says:

Now to take photos of a Putt-Putt golf course!

6. DrScuttles says:

It’s only a matter of time until a renegade wizard finds a way to trap your soul in an iphone picture and imprison it within a Minecraft map. The horror.

7. Liudeius says:

“which seems like something that should already exist.”

That has been possible for a long time, not in 3D though, only as pixel art, but around the initial excitement over Minecraft I remember seeing stuff like this. I think it was a mod that used a webcam.

8. Saranis says:

Theres also a program that does this in 3d if you feed it both a side and front view image.

9. Dekko says:

DekkoScan is now available in the App Store. Check it out and let us know how you like it!

Comment on this story