ELEVATEWAR: Owlboy Dev’s Elevator Brawler Savant

By Nathan Grayson on July 10th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Owlboy is not out yet and doesn’t have a release date. That is the bad news. And by that, I mean that it’s the bad news – the news by which all upsetting and otherwise unfortunate events are judged. Developer D-Pad Studio’s been bending over backward and probably turning its head upside-down to get the gorgeous side-scroller out the door, but it’s only (composed of) human(s). Everyone needs a vacation and nope actually D-Pad is just insane so it’s spent its “holiday” making a different game. This one’s called Savant, and it’s a lushly gothic bite of, er, elevator action. If dictionaries were organized by distance between meanings of words, those two would be at opposite ends (and also dictionaries would be useless), but the game actually looks kinda great! Watch the trailer below and see for yourself.

So basically, you ride an elevator ever upward, taking down gigantic swarms of enemies along the way in arcadey bursts of death and numbers. The whole thing is a collaboration with Norwegian musician Aleksander Vinter, aka, er, Savant. HOW WILL WE EVER TELL THEM APART.

Seriously though, Savant looks wonderfully quick and heavy hitting – kind of like a more mobile (in the movement sense) version of brilliant mobile (in the on-a-phone sense) gem Ziggurat. This is your stylishly hatted Van-Hellsing-alike’s last stand, so you’ve got to fight for your life and also do lots of super cool dodge flips.

Color me interested. Also, purple. Savant will be out on July 30th. And Owlboy? Who knows, but at least D-Pad is giving the game its undivided attention again. But hey, to ease the wait, I found these hideously adorable GIFs of somebody petting a baby owl. Look at its little-widdle gigantic eyes. Oh jeez, I’m going to squealpuke everywhere.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Anthile says:

What, no Facelift? Also, this looks great and the music is amazing.

2. Dominic White says:

Here’s the track used in the trailer, straight from Savant’s own youtube channel:

I’m not too big on dubstep, but I like a lot of his stuff. It just has energy and variety behind it, I guess.

This isn’t the first time Savant was in a game, too. Cute little platform shooter Dungeon Chaos was reworked with Savant music and style a while back.

• Nathan Grayson says:

I’d never heard of Savant before this, but ended up checking out his music because of the soundtrack snippet. He’s really talented. I’m usually pretty “meh” on dubsteppy stuff, but he rolls it into so many other electronic genres. Also, he releases an album, like, every other month. Guy’s insane.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, he’s certainly a productive dude. Reminds me a lot of Renard Queenston (who also makes games, one or two of which have been featured around here) – crazy electronic music guy who churns out stuff at a truly preposterous rate:

Renard’s gimmick is that he does a shitton of genres, and assigns them to various characters. Aurastys does dark electronic ambience and sci-fi movie soundtrack stuff, The Queenstons are more electro-pop with synth vocals, and Truxton is just weird mash-ups for instance.

3. InternetBatman says:

Eh, elevator fights are my least favorite part of any game that has them. Normally they’re just drudgery for the sake of drudgery with no respite.

• Ross Angus says:

I think Unreal II had an elevator fight in it. And there was that elevator you had to fight beside, while you waited for it to arrive in Half Life: Episode 2. But I can’t think of any others. Is this a thing I’ve just missed?

• tobecooper says:

Yep, you are looking in the wrong places.

Elevator fights are a feature in beat’em ups and platform games, and beat’em up platform games too. Just like InternetBatman I dislike them quite a bit, because the checkpoint is usually at the top floor which is irritating like hell. (Oh, and I guess horror games have some too, I remember Dead Space definitely had elevator action. And 3rd person shooters of all kinds have’em, you really looked in a wrong place, Ross.)

Comment on this story