Hordey Hi: Zomboid’s “Last Stand” Mode

By Craig Pearson on July 10th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

I hope the sequel is called 'Zom Nom Nom'
Everything has a horde mode. Just the other day I accidentally set my microwave to horde mode, and when I returned from a pre-dinner poo I was overwhelmed by burritos. They were deliciously angry. I tried to phone the police for help, but in the stramash I accidentally switched my phone to horde mode as well. There were burritos and phones everywhere. I’ve sealed the kitchen up, but the intoxicating aroma of pico de gallo wafting through my house is driving me mad, and when someone texts me all the phones go off. In other news, did you know that isometric zombie survival game Project Zomboid has just updated with a “Last Stand” mode? It puts you in a house in the woods against all the zombies. Like I said: everything has a horde mode.

It’s the quick-play option: you don’t create a character or worry about stats. You just grab what you can and fend off the undead. I would be playing it, but I’m very bad at Zomboid, and need them to re-implement the tutorial before I can return to it. If you’re comfortable with the game, why not play it with a friend?

That’s right: the previous update, that we managed to miss but I think is also worth pointing out, enabled two players to partake of the slow-moving grim survival game in split-screen. Newly-added joypad mapping will enable the players to both use pads, or you can have one with a pad and the other on the keyboard and mouse.

UPDATE: Will “Project Zomboid Writer Man” Porter has just reminded me of a zoomable map of the game world that a community member is putting together. All that for a £5?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Jamie White says:

I love you.

I’m so glad to know I’m not alone in the world of pre-dinner poo’s. WE HAVE TO MAKE ROOM!

2. AndrewC says:

Whenever I play a game like Skyrim, I always end up collecting every fork, apple or wooden plate and keeping them in one place, just to see the giant piles of the same thing.

3. RedViv says:

I will never forget the day I set my toilet to horde mode. Never. Forget.

• Velko says:

That’s nothing; around the year 1200AD, I accidentally set a bunch of Mongols to horde mode. Ended up a bit of a mess.

• Zorn says:

Both of you, my fine gentlemen, lightened up my day, after wading through maddening quicksand pool of bureaucracy. Not only am I still alive, and not imprisoned because of spontaneous going postal, no, I even sense a smile on me face. For that, I thank you!

4. Harlander says:

I’d never seen the word stramash before, and I’m always pleased to be able to add to my vocabulary.

I got the impression they were gonna try to add network multiplayer to PZ as well. That’s what I’m waiting for

5. John Connor says:

This game still exists? I thought the devs gave up when they hit puberty.

• Dominic White says:

Bwuh? It was one of the first games to get through Greenlight due to overwhelming popularity.

Are you confusing this with some other game? Because this is pretty much a real-time simulation roguelike.

• John Connor says:

This is the game where the devs spit the dummy because they didn’t understand basic backup and wasted all their backers money and disappeared

• Dominic White says:

Errr… No? You’re talking bollocks, mate. They lost a month or two of progress due to being burgled and having even their backup systems nicked, but that’s about it.

• Kaira- says:

Backup that exists in the same physical space as the non-backup is no backup.

• Dominic White says:

No, it’s still a backup. It’s not an off-site backup (which is more secure, and it was silly that they didn’t have one of those more regularly updated), but it’s still a backup.

It’s also no reason at all to act like the developers are inept con-artists. They lost a month or two of development time. It slightly delayed development of the game. It was a hiccup, not this grand affront to the industry as we know it.

The fact that some people think the devs should go into hiding forever because of that? I can’t even begin to comprehend the mindset that’d think that’s sane.

• Kaira- says:

A backup which is in the same risk as the working copy in the same location is at best an afterthought of a backup.

• jrpatton says:

@Kaira

I doubt you have experience in systems administration. There are many types of backing up data. In this case we are examining on-site vs off-site. Both should be used, but serve different goals and protect against different things.

On-site backup protects against hardware and software failure (ie a bad patch, server maintenance, etc), and offers near-instantaneous recovery with little to no data loss. This is usually cheap. Certain RAID setups act as on-site backup.

Off-site backup serves as disaster recovery, and protects against loss of all on-site data. Recovery with this takes a long time, and may be weeks old depending on how diligent the company is with sending data to the off-site backup. This is usually more expensive.

The bottom line is, yes they should have had off-site backup, but an on-site backup is neither an ‘afterthought’ nor is it at the same risk as the primary data.

• Syra says:

Kaira listen to this guy, as clearly you’ve never worked on risk assurance. TLDR: off site backups are less frequently backed up therefore less relevant data and protect against disaster and loss, on site are to mitigate the risk of primary systems being corrupted to get things running again asap.

Not everyone has perfect risk management systems in place, you can forgive a tiny indie for not having this level of organisation.

• MashPotato says:

Good lord, there are so many misconceptions here I need to speak up. Yes, we at one point lost a lot of data because our backups were stolen, and that was a big setback to us. However:
          1) we never stopped development of the game
          2) we never disappeared
          3) our customers have been receiving updates

• HothMonster says:

Yes they disappeared and were never heard from again, hence the new update they just put out…

• One Pigeon says:

And those blog posts they put up every Monday with information about current and future updates is purely smoke and mirrors, the cads.

• Kaira- says:

Let’s not use roguelike where it doesn’t belong, okay?

• Dominic White says:

Yes, let’s derail an already stupid thread with possibly the most tiresome and abused discussion in gaming after ‘What is indie?’ and ‘Are games art?’

• Kaira- says:

Just put the word down and nobody needs to get hurt. :P

• Harlander says:

Are indie roguelikes art?

• lowprices says:

Are art-Roguelikes indie?

• One Pigeon says:

Is liking rogue indies art?

• jonahcutter says:

Who is this Art? Does he live in the Indies? And why his obsession with makeup?

• Syra says:

Indie, as he was named after the dog, had a friend named Art. They were students of history but both quite liked French classes, particularly the one about the colours, of which their favourite was red.

6. zachforrest says:

I wish i could say things like ‘pre-dinner poo’

since i moved into a small flat with my girlfriend, pooing is a furtive, desperate act.

you’re so liberated Craig :(

• Craig Pearson says:

It’s not all stinky roses. My g/f has attempted to instigate an open-door pooing policy, which I’ve had to veto. The open door urination is enough.

• lowprices says:

WELL THANKS FOR THAT IMAGE CRAIG IT’S NOT LIKE I WAS JUST ABOUT TO EAT LUNCH OR ANYTHING.

At least, I’m not anymore.

• Syra says:

I’d recommend not weeing or pooing through an open door unless there is a toilet on the other side and you have rather good aim.

• Hurion says:

Why do people do this? THE DOOR IS THERE FOR A REASON!

7. BenAttenborough says:

Saw World War Z last night. There’s a scene in it that appears to be lifted straight out of Half Life, whereby Brad Pitt is armed with a crowbar and has to sneak around a science lab avoiding zombie scientists in white coats by crouching and dodging round them when they’re not looking. He then gets to a medicine lab and has to type a keycode to get inside…

8. Timmeister says:

I played the splitscreen mode just when it came out – So much potential, yet an absolute buggy mess. If you are thinking of getting it just for the splitscreen i’d hold off a little while till they fine tune it a bit more!

Just my 2 cents anyway. Horde mode looks cool :)

• Batsphinx says:

Yeah, worth pointing out that the split-screen is still fairly experimental – although some of the bugs you would’ve encountered if you played it when it first appeared will have been nixed in recent builds.

• Cinek says:

Potential… that’s certainly what this game does have. But even without bugs – it’s so limited that I just can’t believe it. Stupid Day Z got far richer gameplay – and that’s 3D game where coding in any new asset is by far more complicated than in 2D sprite-based game.
      New game mode won’t fix it though. Too little to late.

• nasKo says:

The most important part of the game is not in yet. That would be the meta game and NPCs.
        It’s essentially stuff happening around you without your doings. A bit like in Crusader Kings 2.

Until then, it’s surviving as long as possible while managing your ressources (and maybe creating your own), building your base.
        The main difference between PZ and DayZ is that DayZ lives off the multiplayer (most would argue the PvP). It’s not much of a single player experience.
        Currently, PZ is limited by it’s alpha state.
        Not sure how it’s too late for anything.

9. JB says:

Hi hordey, I’m home! *cue sounds of brains being eaten*

10. RobertJSullivan says:

Can we also play split screen in sandbox mode or is it only avalaible for Last Stand at the moment ?
    Thanks.

• JB says:

Works in Sandbox (it was working in Sandbox before Last Stand was released).

Very buggy, but it works. Once the bugs get squashed, I can see me playing a lot of co-op PZ.

11. TheMick says:

At the end sir Craig mentions someone is making a zoomable map of the game world. Does this imply to anyone else that the game world is premade? I would have sworn it was randomly generated each game, must check my sources. Or just make the decision now to agree with the very first response to this comment no matter what. Aaaaaaaaaand go.

• Batsphinx says:

Yeah the map is all hand-made – nothing randomly generated. We’ll be releasing mapping tools after we introduce the next location, which is a place called West Point that has a tighter lay-out, taller buildings etc.

12. jonfitt says:

That zoomable map explains a lot. I loaded up a newer version recently and was completely lost. turns out they’ve completely redone the map and made it massive!

Every game of Zomboid was already hoard mode for me; except the hoard was moodles and the interface and death was usually self induced. :(

Wake up, spend all waking hours trying to satisfy hunger and boredom needs (crafting heated beans in the microwave took me forever), then sleep before passing out. Repeat until all food eaten. Then a quick blaze of glory trying to cross the street.

Wait. Is this really a games journalist simulator?

13. jrpatton says:

So… how about that multiplayer? Eh? Any day now…

14. mesk14 says:

This game is going to be so awesome….when its it finally released in its entirety.Which very well may be the same time HL 3 launches….

15. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Wow, everyone’s gone so quiet on this after constant stories I had totally forgotten that I had pre-ordered it.