Clean Of Duty: Viscera Cleanup Detail

By Craig Pearson on July 11th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

War Mop
I am that odd middle point in life. I’m old and grumpy, but I don’t have kids. So when I play a game where insides are spilled, the walls are sticky with gore, and horrific violence is rendered in 1920×1080, I don’t think of the children. I think of the janitors. Someone is going to have to clean all that up. There’s innards on the outside, the Trafalmadorian ambassador is coming over any minute, and the guy with the guns and helmet just walks away and leaves it all for muggins. There’s a toe in the chronosynclastic infundibulum, for crying out loud! Oh no, by all means have all the fun, but when it comes to the real work they leave it for for the Viscera Cleanup Detail crew to soak up the blood and pick up the wobbly bits. It’s up to you to make it right.

Yup, it’s a first-person game where you’re the mop pusher in a facility following a sci-fi battle. You have your bucket to wipe off the blood, gloves and incinerators to deal with the chunkier bits, there’s even bullet casings to remove. I can’t say it’s as fun as shooting things, but it’s not nearly as dull as you’d imagine. It has that odd satisfaction of a job well done.

You can grab it for free, and it’s begging for Greenlight inclusion. I can already picture the Team Fortress 2 crossover: you have to clean-up Badwater, but all the gore has been taken from a round of the game.

, , , .

1. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

What an unfortunate job. That trailer left me feeling a little mopey.

• differenceengine says:

Don’t make us scour for puns, it’s just Dazzling enough as it is.

• Dog Pants says:

It’s a novel idea. If it catches on they could really clean up.

• Muzman says:

Neat! I’m tired of that trend. They picked a great way to buck it.

• mr.black says:

A dash of fresh scent into the genre

2. nimzy says:

Speaking as a SS13 janitor with years of experience, I have to say, this brought a tear to my eye.

• Nadd says:

Nobody respects the SS13 Janitor, he labours round after round, mopping the assistant giblets and replacing the AI-shorted lightbulbs, and for what? For someone to murder him for his pretty yellow galoshes? This game earns my respect, and should earn it for all SS13 Janitors.

• Geen says:

The Janitor is the true hero of SS13. Even when he’s a traitor. As a fellow Janitor, I salute you.

3. Leb says:

Awesome my girlfriend can play this to simulate cleaning up after my man shoot sessions

4. SKapsniak says:

So, you being guys in the know and all, how does this one compare to Chemical Spillage Simulation then?

5. USER47 says:

Somehow i feel it would be more awesome with octodad/surgeon simulator mechanics. Trying to mop a little bit of blood on the floor and accidentaly and inevitably get that crap all over the place…

• Turkey says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

It would be hilarious if your guy was just smearing the blood around and just making it worse. Maybe have him slip on the blood too.

• jonahcutter says:

Bad enough that he has to clean up the gore after everyone else has had their fun, but now the poor guy has to be the object of slapstick pratfalls?

It’s a cold, cruel world out there.

• Snidesworth says:

Having just played the game and knocked over a half dozen bins full of gibs and buckets of bloody water? That’s exactly what can happen.

Also how the fuck does an arm get on top the ducts? You think those assholes could die in a tidier manner.

• Syra says:

Haha I was watching this thinking “wouldn’t it be awesome if when you walk through the blood to go clean something up you leave bloody footprints all over the floor and look over your shoulder and sigh Mr Bean style?”.

• DarkCarnivour says:

That’s absolutely on the todo list. It just missed the cut for this release by mere hours

• DarkCarnivour says:

That is really what that game mechanics are all about

6. Premium User Badge DrScuttles says:

Sixteen years ago I wondered who cleaned up all the blood and zombies and beasties in Resident Evil as soon as you left any given room. It’s been a long wait, but finally I can take on that role for myself!

edit: my enthusiasm has wilted somewhat given the apparent inability to invert the Y-axis. I find the exclusion of said option genuinely baffling, alpha or not.

• Syra says:

I sure am glad I’m not an upside down weirdo.

• DarkCarnivour says:

Hi there, dev here.
      Sorry we didn’t have time to add control UIs in the crazy deadline, but you can do this in the config files.
      Just pop open UDKInput.ini and shove this bInvertMouse=true at the top there in the [engine.playerinput] section

• Premium User Badge DrScuttles says:

Oh, that’s really really useful. Thanks a lot!
        Upsidedownweirdoproblems and all that.

7. reggiep says:

A job’s a job.

8. StickyNavels says:

Reminds me of a gory Chibi Robo. Cleaning in that game was oddly satisfying.

9. ulix says:

There’s actually a little German sitcom gem (Germans usually don’t do sitcoms well… or any scripted TV for that matter) called “Der Tatortreiniger”. It’s about a dude who’s job it is to clean up crime scenes after the police is done collecting evidence . It’s really good :)

• BarneyL says:

The film Sunshine Cleaning also has the same premise.

• jonahcutter says:

Also:

Charlie Huston’s crime/neonoir novel “The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of the Dead” revolves around a bunch of shady characters in the crime-scene clean-up industry.

Huston’s stuff can be uneven, but he generally has some compelling (and at times uber-quirky) characters and good turns of dialogue.

• The Random One says:

I find the implied idea that Germans can do good improvised TV well rather baffling to my limited comprehension of foreign cultures.

• ulix says:

That’s not what I was trying to imply at all. Germans usually can do NEITHER well. Not scipted TV, not improvized TV. There are very, very, very few good shows in both categories that come to mind, but generally it’s all quite blang, especially compared to British TV (and even American, or even Canadian and Australian TV).

A good improvized comedy would be “Dittsche”. Can’t think of anything else though.

• Premium User Badge Jackablade says:

If they’re doing worse than Australia’s home grown TV content they really do have problems.

10. tpwoods28 says:

Anybody else pick up on the Slaughterhouse 5 reference?

11. TheBarringGaffner says:

The Trafalmadorian ambassador isn’t coming any minute, he will come, has come, and always will come.

12. GiantPotato says:

I can’t wait for the sequel, “Viscera: Tactics”. You’ll be in charge of a whole squad of hand-picked janitors and have to navigate the complex strategic challenge of making sure they all show up for work and do their jobs. Other features include:

- New weapon – Railgun: Pry massive shells out of concrete walls and apply spackle!
    - New weapon – Quad Chaingun: Use your helpful vaccu-drone to collect over 2000 shell casings per minute!
    - New weapon – Phase Seeker Drone: Disable the leftover mines placed by them!
    - Tag and catalogue unique alien weaponry!
    - Give NPCs a lift back home!
    - And more!

• The Random One says:

Holy crap! This month’s Mini Ludum Dare is a seven-day RTS! That might be way above my own abilities though :-(

13. Premium User Badge LTK says:

I love how the button says “Start work”. It implies “This is someone’s job, not your entertainment.”

14. Premium User Badge Skeletor68 says:

Oh man I accidentally had gaben.tv running in the background of this video and thought the soundtrack was gospel choir music. The video is nowhere near as funny without it. Hahaha.

15. SRTie4k says:

If cleaning up my house was as easy as smacking a pole with a squid tied to the end of it off the walls, it would have been done a long time ago.

16. Premium User Badge c-Row says:

Now waiting for the Marvel DamageControl DLC

17. Ergates_Antius says:

This appeals to me.

18. Premium User Badge Dingbatwhirr says:

Playing as the janitor in Centration, the 1st person SS13 type game, really should be like this!
    Only, when you’re half way through, security hurtles down the corridor, dragging a bleeding corpse all over your beautifully cleaned floor, before falling flat on his face and cursing wildly. You suppress a chuckle and point to the (carefully concealed) signs. He stalks off grumbling.

The janitor’s life is sweet indeed.

19. mr.black says:

This could actually be great, one can imagine.. Perhaps with a little more polish.. No.. Wait! That was unintentional! Khmm.. Perhaps with some kind of competitive mode, with wacky Flight of the Bumblebee music, floating scores, etc..

20. Premium User Badge Wisq says:

Imagine: A semi-stealth shooter where every level involves killing all enemies as “hero” character, then cleaning up the mess as the “janitor” character.

No in-level saves, so everything has to be done in one take.

A massive arsenal of deadly weapons, enough that you almost can’t fail the shooter part, even if things go horribly wrong — but the weapons also get exponentially messier the more powerful they are and the easier they are to use.

You can see where this is going. :) As my friend said while we discussed this: “CRAP I got the RPG.. I hate the RPG!”