Not Gonna Reich You A Love Song: Metro’s Story DLC

By Nathan Grayson on July 11th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Well, unless I can compose love songs on this extremely frightening minigun.

Hmmmm. I was really hoping that Metro: Last Light‘s story-based, world-expanding “Faction Pack” DLC might at least put us behind the gas mask of one non-combat character just trying to live in the game’s diseased, decaying cesspit of a civilization, but alas. Still, it sounds like it’ll be an interesting opportunity to understand where more militantly proficient folks who aren’t Artyom come from, and that’s definitely an intriguing prospect. Details after the break.

The Faction Pack will put you in the rot-encrusted boots of soldiers from each of Metro’s three major factions: one Red Line, one Reich, and one Polis Ranger. Each challenge will play to each character’s specific skillset, which could be quite interesting. Here are the basics:

“As a Special Detachment Sniper of the Red Line, players must infiltrate a heavily guarded Reich Outpost at night,under the cover of a deadly radioactive storm… before defending the Frontline as a Reich ‘Heavy’, armed with some of the most devastating weaponry found in the Metro.”

“Lastly, players take the role of a Polis Ranger in training, tasked with exploring the vast Library complex for artifacts and relics. Salvage can be exchanged for ammunition, filters and hazard suits allowing ever deeper exploration into the Library. Rangers are advised to light torches and leave a trail of lights so they can find their way back to the base before their precious oxygen runs out.”

The Ranger bit definitely sounds like the most varied and potentially fascinating, but all three have potential. It’s also worth noting that both locations and enemies from Metro 2033 will make cameos throughout, so those strumming away at some Apocalypse Nostalgia Blues can relive the not-quite-as-abysmal old days.

The Faction Pack will be out next week, on July 16th. I should probably get around to finishing Last Light, then. I really do adore it, so I’m not entirely sure why I haven’t, but probably because I hate myself.

, , , .

1. Dowr says:

This is how you do add-on DLC; not rubbish gun skins and player base damaging map packs.

2. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Sadly I’ll give it a miss, being remininded with familiar vistas that 2033 was a far better game would be like rubbing salt in the wound :(

RedViv says:

Ah come on, don’t be so negative. Shall we look for the one lady with a name to give you a lapdance to cheer you up?

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

:D Oh pet, that’s a nasty gash you have there, let me rub some cream on it, I’ve just run out of salt!

3. N'Al says:

It’s like we’re one and the same person!

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Because the gameplay is pants maybe?

• N'Al says:

Yeah, like no.

Luringen says:

The gameplay in Last Light was better than in 2033 TBH, better gameplay, guns that doesn’t feel like they are shooting peas and some chances to explore. The atmosphere in 2033 was slightly better though.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Last Light had a couple of want-to-be-Call-of-Duty bits that it could have done without (most notably the prison escape, complete with slomo jumping action!), and those boss fights were not terrible, just terribly banal.

But I have very few complaints apart from those.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Ha ha,

2033 I’ll crouch here in the half light, look I’m invisible, Oh I’m DEAD! Best stick to the DARK in future!

Last Light I’ll crouch here in the glaring light, look I’m invisible, what beautiful game mechanics! Now let me toggle through to get my knives, oh there’s my phone, I’ll just answer it
          “hi…..

…see ya”
          now where was that knife. God I’m a great shot with a knife crouched under a spotlight!

Maybe Last Light plays better on consoles than the PC!

• Jaggedmallard says:

Its a problem with the brightness and light settings. By default its ridiculously high and makes it seem stupid but by adjusting it too make it more realistic (and presumably how it was intended) it plays far better and more immesively.

• deano421 says:

hahahahahahaha played better on console im pissing myself here trust me its ur pc the game runs fine and looks awesome on max settings on my rig

• Don Reba says:

Self-loathing is really a strange concept when you are one and the same person as someone else. Do you two hate each other, then?

4. Njordsk says:

Finished LL this morning. One of the best linear shooter to date IMHO.

man that was great. Too bad the story being sometimes confused or strangly presented.

5. kesoapa says:

The imersion is just wonderful. Having to wipe the filth of your gasmask for one, and how the clock works into how much filter you’ve got left and also your visibility. Also, the gunplay is in my opinion refined from Metro 2033. This one truly shows how to do a linear, story-driven, fps-game right. Loved Metro 2033, love this one even more. Hope they’ll give us even more games with as much feeling as these.

6. smg77 says:

That is a fantastically bad article title. Well done :)

7. Keisha Vajgrt says:

http://www.qualitydumps.com is a milestone achieved by group of IT junkies to help the upcoming IT graduates and advanced professionals achieving their goals. We are sole provider of Brain dumps for more than 3400+ IT exams including the top vendors like Microsoft, Cisco, IBM and many others