Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect Has That Name, And A Trailer

By John Walker on July 11th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

The words “the wait is over” really oughtn’t appear in the same trailer as “coming soon”. That’s made doubly worse when it’s a trailer for a Kickstarted game that was originally due to be released last December. Still, it’s good to see a trailer for the new Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (no longer “Project Fedora”, you’ll note), and one that confirms that the hammy FMV is precisely as it should be.

It’s all a bit oddly apocalyptic, but then of course the Tex Murphy games always had a lot more going on in them than just noir detectorising. It looks like this latest in the series is going to push that mutants-and-eschatology angle further than ever, which strikes me as a good thing.

Tex fans – what do you think? Relieved? Concerned?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Can’t be coming that soon OR the game engine is super photorealistic. *thinks about HALO adverts* Ignore me!

• phlebas says:

Oh, the game engine is super photorealistic all right.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Dragon’s Lair 2013, PASS!

• Rikard Peterson says:

Tex Murphy is far from Dragon’s Lair. Take a look at the old games, if you don’t know what it is.

• Frogacuda says:

Couldn’t be further from Dragon’s Lair. I dare say these games play better than LucasArts adventures, with full 3D exploration. The FMV is only used in the cut scenes and dialog trees.

• tomimt says:

No QTE wank fest in this game. Just FMV videos to carry on the plot combined with first person adventuring.

• pilouuuu says:

So, I guess the FMV in this game is equivalent to cutscenes in most games, right? And no QTE? Mmm… I can’t believe games held so much potential and were basically ruined during the last years.

This game seems interesting, and so… 90s. Which is a good thing. I think…

• Frogacuda says:

Yeah, exactly. FMV is used for cut-scenes and dialog trees, but the gameplay is first-person real-time 3D like any modern first-person game. No QTEs, no on-rails navigation… They were really the best-playing adventure games around.

2. scatterlogical says:

This has to be the only game in recent history where pre-rendered graphics and live-action FMVs are actually a true representation of gameplay.

3. bitbot says:

Looks nice, but I wonder how the gameplay is going to be. Will it still be point and click in 3D environments like the old games?

4. aldo_14 says:

Someone likes the titles from the Sherlock Holmes movies, I see.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Out of curiosity, which text are you referring to? The script (cursive) text or the sans-serif?

I didn’t see the Sherlock movies (I presume you mean the recent R. Downey Jr. ones), but I remembered the titles in the print adverts used the beautiful and classical Clarendon type

You can see this blog post about the use of Clarendon in the more recent Sherlock theatrical reboots. It also discusses a few other typefaces and their historical tone. Clarendon is a very old and renowned typeface and, like Cooper Black, was so hugely popular during its heyday, that it has now become emblematic of that era.

I love Clarendon, and I still remember seeing that poster and staring at it for about 10 or so minutes. Seeing it in big display print like that was wonderful.

5. Danda says:

In 2013, CGI backgrounds finally look amazing. Also, it’s a Tex Murphy game! Of course it’s going to be great.

(Now we have to see if it’s Pandora Directive-great or Overseer-great…)

6. dgbonomo says:

It’s worth pointing out that it’s not too late to support Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect. You have until the end of this this month (31 July 2013).

7. Melloj says:

Great – the First Person Shooter components that they promised as a stretch goal look good!

But, yeah, this looks good; very excited to dive back into the world of Tex.

8. dE says:

Somewhere the Fashion Gestapo is sitting in a dark room. “We have delivered another strike against the Fedora. After our attempts to link it to rape culture, neckbeards and nerds, we have now succesfully influenced a namechange. Soon, the Fedora will be removed from fashion history and our own product, the FADora will take its place”.

• mezkal says:

Tex Murphy has always worn a Fedora. He’s a gumshoe. It’s an appropriate tribute. You sound ridiculous and ridiculously ignorant of the subject matter you’re commenting on.

• dE says:

What the fuck are you on about?
        It was a humorous/satirical comment on how the internet is all “Fedora equals rapist” lately. Which is a rather ridiculous notion but followed with religious fervor. Enjoy the block.

• The Random One says:

Sam: Ah, the fedora. It never really goes out of fashion.
      Max: Well, it never goes any further out of fashion.

9. Grey Ganado says:

I have never heard of Tex Murphy before this Kickstarter but the trailer made me want to buy this.

10. strangeloup says:

I recently bought All Of The Tex Murphy in GOG’s sale, it having somehow eluded me back in the 20th, and being reliably informed — not least by one Mr. Cobbet — that they’re very good.

This definitely looks promising, and I like that Kickstarter is quite often providing games from an alternate continuity of the late 90s.

Comment on this story