Aiming Is The Aim: Wildstar’s Combat Trailer

By Craig Pearson on July 12th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Sorry, John. No WildStar for you. The lovely looking MMO’s latest vidbonk (I’m trying that word out, let me know how it worked for you) details how different it’ll be from traditional MMOs in its combat. Specifically how you’ll aim. I’m sad that the fact that you will be aiming in an MMO is still a big deal, but it is. In WildStar you can use the traditional method of hitting TAB to face in the direction of enemies if all you want to do is cast off a spell in a general direction. I’ve always hated that form of combat, so the “freeform aiming” system, basically taking a bit more control of the direction, is more my thing, and it affects offensive and defensive skills. When the voice-over pointed out: “You’ll know a good healer when you see one,” I couldn’t look John in the eye.

Here’s John on healing.

I’m glad this is a bit more complicated than just aiming and firing. Enemies can miss as well, so someone who knows how to dodge and can aim will have a skill-based advantage. And it looks like whatever you fire fills the targeting shape, so if you funnel more enemies into that you’ll do more damage to more people. You’ll even have different cast shapes, so the same aim won’t be true for everything. Cast (aha!) your eyes on the vidbonk.

Alec chatted to developer’s boss dude the other day.

__________________

« | »

, , .

Top comments

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I used the word “vidbonk” and Lady Smingleigh summoned a constable.

1. SandmanXC says:

I’m trying really hard not to get excited for this game, but god damn it i’d sell part of my soul for a beta key…

2. Calabi says:

Looks great but Tera Online has been doing this for years already.

• naetharu says:

Humm, well Tera has something a little bit like this but it does not have the telegraphs. My experience with Tera was that it had a nice combat system compared with WoW etc. but that it was not that amazing and the rest of the MMO was pretty bad.

I played this at REZZED and I must say I was very impressed. The targeting system really makes the game fun. It feels more like playing a good 3rd person shooter than an MMO, and from the little I have seen so far the rest of the game is done well. I doubt this game will convert people that are not into MMOs but I do think that it is going to offer some real competition to those that are currently out there.

3. Ross Angus says:

Vidbonk. Vidbonk. Vidbonk. Vidbonk. Vidbonk. Vidbonk. Vidbonk. Vidbonk. The word’s lost all meaning now. I have no idea how I feel.

4. Bremze says:

Hello, I’m a person that proclaims to not care about MMO’s without subscription fees. I’m now going to list issues with free to play games that aren’t inherent to the business model while ignoring extremely popular free to play games that have none of the previously mentioned issues.

When confronted with the fact that subscription based business models make grind and time based currency and unlock mechanics mandatory, I’m going to proceed to cover my ears and say:”Lalala, I can’t hear you, I can access all the content(except the content I can’t access because I haven’t payed enough montly payments to do so)”

Good day.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

I will attempt to rebuff your arguments by incessantly talking about League of Legends and Team Fortress 2, because those are the only videogames in my version of reality. I will make sure to include sufficient grammatical and orthographic errors to attract the ire of Grammar Nazis. The constant shouts of “Heil Grammatik!” will thus allow me to derail the thread entirely, and any attempts to steer it back on topic will be buried under a mound of ignorant bullshit and fucking stupid Youtube morons.

5. Mbaya says:

I can’t quite explain it, but after watching that video…I’m overwhelmed with feelings of distress, sadness and roaring anger and I feel it’s all because of a freaking cat.

Liking what I’m seeing, especially with healing…looks much more enjoyable than healthbar watching. Also, the mob design seems outstanding.

I don’t want to get hyped for this game but they aren’t making that task easy for me…

6. Dominic White says:

The game looks a bit too trad-MMO for my tastes, but y’know what? It looks pretty damn good for what it is, which seems to be Ratchet & Clank: The MMORPG.

Cartoon space adventures with big explosions and silly gadgets need to be more common in games. Less grimacing space marines, more Captain Qwark.

• Kollega says:

I do understand what you mean, but… are you sure that more Captain Qwark is a good thing? :P

(In seriousness, though, i agree. Ratchet & Clank rules, and Wildstar does seem like a take on similar ideas. I hope it’ll be successful enough.)

• Yosharian says:

Well those might be your tastes, but some of us actually like the grim dark style. Plus, I had my fill of cartoon MMO when I played WoW.

• boe2 says:

Unless you’ve only been playing WoW for the last 8 years (if so: what is wrong with you?), I think most people had their fill of grim, dark mmo’s and crave something more stylized now.

• Dominic White says:

I don’t even think WoW knows what style it is. The official art and CGI trailers tend to lean towards Warhammer grimdark seriousness, while the game looks like a low-poly technicolor cartoon world, and the story alternates wildly between the two poles.

This has a much more consistent and (at least in my opinion) charming vibe to it. It’s pure saturday morning cartoon stuff with a slight edge to it.

7. Tridae says:

I love it that this is not another high fantasy MMO, Secret world it great with it’s modern day setting and this sci-fi ish setting looks awesome. I’m oh so sick of elves and dwarves. There are hints of the typical classes here but luckily they seem to have some new spin to them.

8. mR.Waffles says:

I feel like with this single video they solved what I hate most about MMOs and sold me the game.

• Dominic White says:

It’s pretty much the same skill-targetting system as Guild Wars 2. Which is good, because it’s a nice hybrid of ARPG responsiveness and trad-RPG accessibility. Ain’t no shame in stealing from the competition if they’ve got a good idea going.

• xao says:

Last time I played Guild Wars 2 it still had a hard target lock system for single target abilities. This looks like Wildstar is doing away with that. If so, I’m in.

• Deadend says:

Guild Wars 2 also doesn’t have telegraphing AoEs for PVP. This causes players to telegraph, unless they are so good they can fire off their abilities without the extra aim time.

I do think some/most attacks will be just tab targetting, but hold key for precision-aim, which.. that could work. Now if they make every attack “technically” an AOE like Age of Conan did (nothing felt better than hitting multiple dudes with single target lightning strike.) then this could be really awesome.

But considering I was interested in Wildstar when it was “cool setting, side stuff + regular ass MMO” the fact that it’s doing some nice steps forward on the other parts is a great thing to me.

9. Tei says:

Every time I receive a Wildstar email my heath jump, then when I find is not a beta invite, I get cold cool hate.

So I watched this video initially hating it. Parts of it where interesting enough to elevate my opinion from hate to Meh.

I am not waiting Wildstar for the combat.

10. Wurstwaffel says:

So there is no crosshair targeting? No actual shooting?

Comment on this story