Kickstarter Katchup – 14th July 2013

By Adam Smith on July 14th, 2013 at 8:55 pm.

When was the last time a project made almost a million dollars in a week? Warmachine: Tactics came and conquered, with its fantastic visual design and promise of turn-based shenanigans pleasing all who saw it. Well, maybe not all, but a heck of a lot. Elsewhere, intriguing procedural pirate game, Freebooter, was cancelled early in its campaign, leaving me with affections to spare. I’m lavishing them on Dropsy, a surreal adventure starring a creepy clown, and Monochroma, which every single person should look at right now.

The Rules

• Featuring a game in this list doesn’t mean we endorse it. We likely haven’t played, and as such can’t say whether it will be worth your cash. That’s your call.
  • Letting me know about a game (which you can do via my name at the top of this article) doesn’t mean it will definitely be included. Leaving links in the comments is a good way to let other readers know about projects, but please email me if you want them considered for the list. Include the word Kickstarter in the subject line too if you care about making my life even slightly easier.
  • We only include games where pledges reach developers only if the target is met.
  • Projects asking for fifty billion dollars, with 45c in pledges, fall off the list eventually. It gives more space for other games.
  • Projects that have reached their funding get included in the Winners list, and then aren’t featured in the weeks after that, to give more attention to those that are still needing the cash. Tough if you don’t like it.
  • Be aware that there are several currencies in play. Always check!
  • This week’s Katchup was composed while listening to Busdriver.

The Winners

Warmachine: Tactics – Privateer Press

Goal: $550,000
Now: $737,310
Days: 26

Has Kickstarter been hacked? Clearly not, but I can’t remember the last time a project made this much money this quickly. I actually reeled when I saw the total but, as Jim observed, this is a game worth watching.

“…the game’s world – a Steampunky fantasy in which Warcasters (armoured wizards) and Warjacks (magic mechs) vie for control of a fantasy world – is that commands most attention. The team behind it is full of veterans, and the art direction of Matt Wilson retains the distinct whiff of someone who knows exactly what to do.”

With a singleplayer campaign and various multiplayer options, Warmachine is of great interest.

Lioness – Zak Ayles

Goal: $7,000
Now: $9,421
Days: 23

Lioness, as Nathan observed, could be a thing of beauty.

While adventures not named The Walking Dead use the form as gizmo-and-bobbin-powered gateway to the past, PUNKSNOTDEAD developer Zak Ayles wants to move things forward. Or at least off an incredibly well-worn path. The idea is to tell a story about people via a non-linear “organic narrative experience that feels personal and unique to everyone who plays it.” Also, the plot sounds completely bonkers, with a principle focus on time travel, yakuza, and, um, “interdimensional coffee”.

Zak hopes to raise more money so that he can add expand “in terms of quality, rather than size.”

The Losers

Freebooter – Tribunal Games

Goal: £50,000
Now: £5,487

Last week, I was hoping that the procedurally generated pirate game would begin to pillage pledges at a higher rate of knots but instead it has sprung a leak and sank to the depths of the metaphor main. The campaign has been cancelled due to the slow pace of pledges.

We would like to thank everyone who have backed the Kickstarter and everyone who has followed Freebooter over the past year. We have been overwhelmed by the attention Freebooter has gotten and we are sorry we could not give you a chance to play it. In the end Freebooter proved too ambitious, but we will keep making games.

Curses.

Deus Ex Machina 2 – Mel Croucher

Goal: £64,000
Now: £31,279

What happens when a game is finished and ready for release but misses its goal? I’d tell you but the final update for Deus Ex Machina 2 isn’t for me. Only backers can see it. Anyone able and willing to share the contents?

The Players

Monochroma – Nowhere Studios

Goal: $80,000
Now: $9,580
Days: 40

I have preview code for Monochroma and a demo is available to all. I’ll definitely be playing it, perhaps even this evening, because it looks and sounds absolutely wonderful.

Platformer games are about our childhood. Think about it for a moment. What we do in a platformer is what we used to do when we were children playing at the playground. We’re adults now and don’t need to push a box and jump over it. We never climb wooden ladders or swing on a rope. In Monochroma, I try to celebrate everyone’s childhood by setting the tutorial at a playground.It was my way of saying ‘thanks’ to all the developers that carry childhood memories within and keep the genre alive.

More on this from me soon, I expect.

Dropsy – Jay Tholen

Goal: $25,000
Now: $7,162
Days: 11

Lots of point and click adventures doing the rounds this week and Dropsy is my pick of the bunch. A clown travels through a weird world, communicating without words as he meets the denizens. Dropsy, the clown himself, frightens me a bit, but then I’ve never seen a clown that I’ve been comfortable with. Apparently there was a Kickstarter in 011 and Jay explains this second attempt thusly:

Lack of adequate planning and budgeting. I assumed I’d just be able to purchase the software, get a decent computer, and poop out a game in two years. All of the money went towards software for the game, and I’ve made progress, but I was definitely naive in my expectations.

Fran Bow – Killmonday

Goal: $20,000
Now: $2,120
Days: 47

Eek. Fran Bow is a point and click adventure that begins with the brutal murder of the lead character’s parents. She’s a little girl.

…the only thing she has left is her cat and aunt Grace who takes care of her.But something happens, her cat vanishes and she is taken to an asylum for mad children. One day the cat appear in her dreams and she starts to plot her escape. During her way back home she will get help from strange creatures and find out that the murder of her parents is unimaginably terrible, and finally confront the one responsible…

I’d imagine that she found out the murder of her parents was unimaginably terrible when it happened. No need to find out more.

Insection – Glasswing

Goal: £280,000
Now: £54,484
Days: 19

I don’t generally do multiplayer shooters but Insection’s colourful carnage, sci-fi concepts and co-op mode have a certain appeal. Jim agrees:

…the execution of this seems more like top notch, big studio stuff. Seriously, go take a look at the video below: this is shiny sci-fi combat like the used to make. It’s action-movie handsome, and instantly set my deathmatch glands aflaring. I think this could be interesting!

There’s a long way to go, but it hasn’t been a bad start. It’d be encouraging to see an update or two though, eh?

Centration – Angry Engineers

Goal: £50,000
Now: £6,107
Days: 17

The reality of the pledge total’s stubborn refusal to rise by more than a couple of thousand dollars every week is sinking in. It’s a first-person multiplayer space station simulator with many opportunities for emergent disaster, inspired by Space Station 13. What’s not to like? I’ve seen a few comments frowning at the tone, which is dark and horrific as opposed to the comedic carnage of SS 13. All of that can be changed with the included mod tools though. Here’s a video of the airflow system in action.

Eterium – Andrew Luby

Goal: $25,000
Now: $10,152
Days: 17

I like Eterium more every time I look at it. Andrew is running an exemplary campaign, updating the demo in response to feedback and communicating changes and progress clearly. The latest video contains new music and graphics.

This video is a quick combat scene from the Beid System. The UEA Canopus diverts to the Beid system to help evacuate a colony that is under attack by superior Revi forces. In the video I am tasked with coming to the rescue of a transport carrying refugees. By default your Wingmen will attack the nearest target, unless you order them otherwise. In the video I take advantage of this by having my wingmen cover me so I could go straight in and attack the two Stri’kal medium fighters which were launching missiles at the transport.

Lacuna Passage – Random Seed Games

Goal: $40,000
Now: $21,736
Days: 17

The time between clicking on the Lacuna Passage link and deciding to launch money toward the project may be very short if any of the following words appeal – ‘survival’, ‘Mars’, ‘topography’…’mystery‘. There’s a sample of the soundtrack in the video below. Watch right through to the end.

Dark Matter – InterWave Studios

Goal: £50,000
Now: £5,487
Days: 3

My hands on experience with Dark Matter was positive but that small chunk of preview code may be all I ever play of the game. Despite the lack of any significant progress toward their goal, the brave fellows at InterWave continue to spread the word about their sci-fi sidescroller. Here is a video all about ways to kill monsters. Guns and monsters. The ingredients from which all games were once created.

Satellite Reign – 5 Lives Studios

Goal: £350,000
Now: £227,028
Days: 14

Satellite Reign is the most exciting project in the Katchup. That’s a fact. If you disagree, it’s because you haven’t read the update about AI behaviour.

Everything feeds into everything else causing a chaotic system, but also a believable system, a systems where the Guard will go get some food because his hunger level got too high, or he fell asleep on the job because he got to sleepy, or he decided to run away from a shoot out because he’s basically a bit of a coward and the financial gains of defending the compound didn’t out-way the risk of being killed.

The Syndicate successor we’ve all been waiting for? It sounds like the open world city game I’ve been waiting for, far from the simplistic staging of GTA and its like.

Frozen State – Snow Arc

Goal: £60,000
Now: £17,181
Days: 7

Poor Frozen State. It captured my heart immediately, simply by looking like the orphaned child of Fallout and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., a survival-based horror RPG. Whether the game would live up to that billing, I don’t know, but it’s something I’m willing to take a gamble on. It’s understandable that not everybody is of the same mind and now the project is in danger. But whatever happens in the next seven days, Snow Arc aren’t going to fade away.

No one from the team is leaving; on the contrary, we have a few more contributors and people who will be helping us. Although it appears that we are miles away from our goal, the team is in a good mood and we plan to keep working on the game. So rather than stop and whine about the kickstarter, we will go forward, like only real survivors do ;)

And another thing…

GameLoading: Rise of the Indies – StudioBento

Goal: $50,000
Now: $10,856
Days: 30

Lester Francois sends word of his studio’s “documentary about the global indie game developer scene”. The list of interviewees is impressive, including the likes of Chris Avellone and David Helgason, CEO of Unity Technologies, whose company is arguably more important to the indie scene than any single developer. AS well as following a group of developers in their native Australia, StudioBento are hoping to provide a snapshot of the current state of the scene, with opinions and discussion aplenty. The next Indie Game: The Movie?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. PhilWal says:

Is it August already?

2. Berserkben says:

Yeah, July was leapmonth.

3. clumsyandshy says:

We all know you don’t like GTA here at RPS, but it is getting a bit silly now. Why not just give it a rest, OK?

On topic: Hope for a strong finish for Satellite Reign!

• Adam Smith says:

I quite like GTA! I’ve even been known to defend some of the design choices in GTA IV, which makes me very unpopular at dinner parties. The series doesn’t care for simulated NPCs though – it presents simple and staged groups of cars and pedestrians as and when needed to convince the player there’s life in the world.

The sort of emergent behaviour Satellite Reign is aiming to create isn’t something Rockstar have attempted and maybe isn’t where their time and resources would be best spent.. It’s a different sort of urban open world, which is refreshing.

• clumsyandshy says:

Fair enough, I promise to calm down now :)
        Just thought the comparison seemed a bit unnecessary and had a kind of negative tone.

Great write-up. I just backed Fran Bow cos it looks awesome!

• The Random One says:

Geez, Adam, I didn’t like GTAIV, but it is the only game in which I’ve ever seen a car stop at a parking space and the NPCs inside get out. Sure, they just started wandering around, but it’s still pretty impressive.

• Adam Smith says:

That’s precisely the sort of thing I’m referring to. It’s great that those things happen – the conversations, the muggings, the purchases from vendors – but they are all staged for the player’s benefit. NPCs perform actions because you are there to see them rather than because of an underlying need/behavioural trait.

That’s why I say ‘simplistic staging’. It’s not a slur! I like theatre but I also like complex simulations. Next time I’ll make a reference to Republic: The Revolution, although that’ll just make me sad.

4. jonahcutter says:

Such a disappointment Frozen State is lagging.

• Meat Circus says:

All the games I backed recently have struggled. I am become Kickstarter death, destroyer of projects.

• jonahcutter says:

Hopefully they take this last week and make a big push. The devs going out into gamer communities and talking about their game could go a long way.

Get out and press-the-flesh. A lot of non-politicians don’t realize the potential cumulative power of engaging individuals.

5. Morte66 says:

The first kickstarter I backed was Project Eternity. It was obviously going to get funded, and obviously going to get made, and I was obviously going to buy it, so I figured I may as well have the early bird discount.

Second was Tides of Numenara or whatever it’s called. With a forum handle like Morte I can’t really say no to that, I might lose my teeth or something. I’m a bit less confident about this game, there’s an aura of “we’re so famous we can’t possibly fail” about the project that tempts fate. But I got an early bird price again, so hey it’s a gamble.

Then there was SIr You Are Being Hunted. This time I just thought it deserved it. It’s got clever procedural stuff, and is associated with RPS. This is patronage of the arts, because I’m not so sure it’s my kind of game. I like branching storylines by good authors more than systems-based emergent whotsit. Also it’s a bit too cheap (can’t go inside the buildings etc). And twee British humour leaves me cold. But I’ve been sponging off RPS for game news for ages, so one must do one’s duty. On the plus side it looks like it might be refereshingly short to play — I remember the gamespy post mortem on Black Isle, which listed amongst Fallout 1’s attrractions “it finshed before you go bored with it”. Sandboxes could fucking learn from this.

Satellite Reign. All over that. Funny thing, on this and other games, I won’t use my kickstarter priviledges to read the forums or whatever because I’d rather avoid spoilers. Logically I ought to wait for this to come out (it will obviously be funded and made), and see if it’s any good before paying. But screw that, I can’t resist a Syndicate successor.

And so to this week’s crop. Ah, Lioness, already funded, no great reason not to wait for it to come out. I really don’t like the bright colours in the trailer, and IMO “retro graphics” usually means “bad graphics trying to pretend it isn’t”. But the first words I read are “if you could live your life again, would you change anything?” And my immediate reaction is “how many changes am I allowed?” Then there’s the attitude to stretch goals, i.e. they don’t have any, they want to make a better game instead of a bigger one. Hell, I have to give it money in the hope that sentiment will catch on.

Does anybody else think “extra polish” makes a really good stretch goal for Kickstarters in general?

I thought about backing Lacuna Passage. It looks like a worthy game that should be encouraged, but it didn’t grab me.

• AngoraFish says:

“Extra polish” should be the only goal for many of these, or at least, just generally “we’ll make it the best game we can with the extra funding”. Several very successful Kickstarters have avoided this trap, like the Double Fines and Castle Story. Feature-creep with kickstarter goals is a real problem for developer focus, and runs a huge risk of unnecessarily complicating development while also stifling innovation as you’re locked into a feature set regardless of any brilliant new ideas or roadblocks you encounter during development. I also question the arbitrary economics of some of these goals, as if every step of the development process is entirely predictable in convenient $10K chunks.

• InternetBatman says:

Doublefine avoided the trap and still fell prey to scope creep. Project Eternity provided stretch goals and seems to be doing a good job towards fulfilling them. Shadowrun Returns had a hard time with scope creep after the kickstarter completed. I don’t think stretch goals are necessarily to blame.

• AngoraFish says:

You are correct that stretch goals are not, of themselves, solely responsible for poor business decisions.

Double Fine, however, have made an educated decision that they do have options to take advantage of additional funding opportunities in order to make a good game great. What they’re proposing, in fact, is little different from what may devs are doing with Steam Early Access.

The fact that Double Fine have come up with a strategy to achieve their goals rather than compromise their vision is evidence of business nous.

Double Fine could have cut their vision, knowing what they now know, and couldn’t be accused of giving anyone less than they’d been promised. They wouldn’t have had the choice had they previously committed to a range of poorly thought out stretch goals.

6. Jimbo says:

Got excited for a second that Lioness might be a spiritual successor to Lion.

7. AngoraFish says:

I’m hugely skeptical of cancelled Kickstarters.

Excepting the couple that have literally been asking for a million dollars and have only a few hundred in pledges that certainly can see the writing on the wall, for any dev with an achievable pledge total there’s absolutely no reason to get this far in then pull the plug.

Numerous Kickstarters have got over the line with either a marathon 24 hour livestreaming pledge-athon, or a wealthy backer ‘kicking it forward’.

To pull this off, however, definitely requires some commitment on the devs part to maintain enthusiasm amongst backers – like regular substantive updates and events. If you can’t demonstrate your own enthusiasm for the project you can hardly expect others to.

Unfortunately, the Freebooter devs fell into the “build it and they will come” school of Kickstarting. With only two small updates, and none at all in the last six days of the campaign, it seems they were waiting for Kickstarter, backers and the gaming press to do all the promotional work for them without any corresponding effort on their part.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

This has been worrying me lately. Because if Kickstarter starts to demand a degree in public relations, it seems to have just lost the real focus.

I’m not so eager to spread the ideology that one should know how to sell an idea. Good ideas are independent of our ability to sell them. I do understand the concept of crowdfunding requires good promotion strategies, but I’m more willing to fight that thought than adhering to it.

FriendlyFire says:

If you can find a method of crowdfunding that does not require and is not influenced by marketing, then go ahead and explain it. You’re basically saying “I don’t like gravity so I’m going to fight it.”

I doubt Kickstarter have any interest in transforming projects into PR stunts, but PR is what makes your project visible. It’s an inherent part of crowdfunding.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

There are plenty of successful ways to fight gravity. But analogies aside, the point is that if we don’t want to, you or I don’t need to conform to this notion that a Kickstarter project should have a good sales pitch.

I don’t have any answers for the developers side. But as far as the supporters are concerned that’s where I don’t feel inclined to spread a sellers doctrine. I oppose it.

Crowdfunding is in fact a whole lot more about the promotion of a project being done by the supporters than the developers themselves. It’s word of mouth fueled by excitement that usually guarantees a goal is reached. Starting to demand of developers to forge a successful marketing strategy is just straining them beyond what’s probably their ability and available resources. Supporter excitement should come primarily from the project itself. Not how well the developer promotes it (within reason), but how good of an idea the project presents.

So yeah… It’s on the supporters side that I suggest we do not so eagerly spread this notion that a project should be well marketed on Kickstarter. As time moves on, the requirements will no doubt increase as people becoming increasingly more demanding, and we may as well be condemning a whole lot of the smaller indies to obscurity; exactly the type of crowd that could benefit more from this type of service.

• The Random One says:

They were asking a lot of money though. If you’re that person who releases free indie games and want like $2000 to make a bigger one then Kickstarter is the place for you to go. But if you’re going after £50000, then you’re asking backers to be your investors, and if what you’re looking for is investors then you need to be able to handle marketing and PR.

Many forget that, despite what happened after the Double Fine Explosion, Kickstarter was not meant for huge, commercial ventures, but for small artsy endeavours. Its structure is much closer to $200 to plant flowers on a subway than Massive Chalice Massive Kickstarters.

• AngoraFish says:

It’s word of mouth fueled by excitement that usually guarantees a goal is reached. This is precisely the point.

A developer is pushing a very large stone up a very steep hill if they’re expecting the gaming press to promote their game.

The main tool the vast majority of Kickstarter campaigns have is enthusiastic backers willing to spread the good word amongst friends, social networks and gaming forums.

This is also why it’s hard to see why one might cancel a Kickstarter half way through as the momentum with this kind of buzz has a way of snowballing over time.

One good way of stoking this buzz is regular, meaty, enthusiastic updates. A developer shouldn’t need a PR degree, however neglecting this part of the campaign is a recipe for crowd funding failure.

• Muzman says:

If you realise its entirely dependent on abstract impressions, why then judge the project based on that?
            There’s been a number of well publicised projects that made their goal and have failed to deliver regardless.
            So clearly a confident campaign is no guarantee of success either.

This is something that can be applied to much of life, of course. We can know, rationally (or should, I hope), that our confidence is largely dependent on arbitrary nonsense irrelevant to whatever standard we are applying but usually its “ehh, I’m gonna follow it anyway”.

• InternetBatman says:

I’m hugely skeptical of kickstarters with ad campaigns.

• Kerey Roper says:

As someone who has just launched a Kickstarter this week, has good conversion of video views to backers, but is lacking in the number of eyeballs viewing the Kickstarter page, I am wondering what your rationale is here.

I am well aware that a vocal minority would have a strongly negative reaction to paid advertisement, so I have not pursued it, but honestly I find it a bit irrational. We could hire a community manage at huge expense, and nobody would bat an eye, largely because it wouldn’t be as obvious of an expenditure on non-core game development activity. Admittedly, it would provide a value to our fans and potential fans by having a real live person to engage with while allowing the core team to focus on the game, but this does not take into account the reality of our situation. Paid advertisement would be a substantially lower risk approach to building awareness if it weren’t for the negative reaction that some folks have. Like it or not, advertisement does provide value, or it wouldn’t exist. Without it, our game may not exist.

And so we’ve got a bit of a dilemma.

8. HexagonalBolts says:

If anyone missed it who fancies seeing how development is going along, I made a thread with details of a lot of in development kickstarters / alphafunded games and links to their blogs – a lot of interesting material to look through!

• HexagonalBolts says:

Also: why is Centration lagging so far behind? The writing and pedigree got me really excited but then I watched the video and fell asleep half way through – and apparently this was the reuploaded more interesting video… I think the game has amazing potential but they just aren’t very good at marketing it or oozing charisma.

9. Dungeonmans says:

I’d be honored if any of you would like to give Dungeonmans a spin!

Playable build available right now, and there’s plenty to love if you enjoy crushing monsters and taking their stuff!

As an aside: I backed Freebooter, and I was sad to see it go. It was pretty ambitious but I’m a sucker for games about exploring and trading. The numbers weren’t there, but I do hope they mean it when they say they’re going to stick with game development.

• Aaax says:

Would back it, but is it better than Dungeon Crawl or Brogue, that are free?

• malkav11 says:

Download the build and see for yourself? It’s not like I’d call any of the commercial roguelikes I’ve played so far flat out -better- than Crawl or Brogue, but they do different things and tend to be more accessible on the whole. I’ve bounced off Crawl two or three times already without meaningful progress, personally.

• Dungeonmans says:

Give it a try Aaax, even if you don’t think you’re going to back it I’d love to hear what you think. There’s a feedback window in game you can use whenever you like!

• HexagonalBolts says:

I think it looks great, I love the graphics, I just can’t deal with ASCII unfortunately but I love roguelikes.

HKEY_LOVECRAFT says:

I actually did a ‘find on page’ for Dungeonmans and was disappointed when the hit was in the comments and not the article itself. I’ve been playing since the Summer Preview was released and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Backed it instantly, and it’s easily in the top five games I’m most excited for release of the 120+ Kickstarters I’ve supported.

I think Frontiers just barely edges it out in anticipation gland manipulation, at least among Kickstarter projects. I’m eagerly awaiting Starbound more than my next breath. That can’t be healthy.

tigerfort says:

Ooh, shiny. Hard to take a long enough break from the demo to back the kickstarter, but I found time somehow :)

Definitely hope you succeed with this one. And email Adam, if you haven’t already! I think it should be right up the RPS street.

soulblur says:

I’m living in hope that Warmachine puts out a stretch goal of something like a persistent campaign world that ties together single player matches (or the ability to host persistent multiplayer worlds). DOW2 did some of this, where choosing what regions to conquer gave certain bonuses within matches. The world seems suited to that sort of thing, so I definitely think it could be done.

• jonahcutter says:

Sounds like a cool idea. You should write it up and send it in to the devs. They’re raking in pledges and will have a lot of time left on their campaign. They could easily surpass even their current stretch goals.

11. Olddan says:

Warmachine: Tactics funding is cheating a bit really – a huge portion of it is the tabletop players buying limited edition models.

I’ve pledged $135 but only $20 of that is towards the game, the rest is 5 models and shipping split between the group of us that play.

• HexagonalBolts says:

I’m amazed that these tabletop games have such huge earning power on kickstarter – I didn’t realise they were so popular or wealthy at all, I had presumed that computer games would have made a large dent in their customers, but perhaps they have just encouraged people to take up more gaming in general.

• malkav11 says:

Miniatures are really expensive and you need a lot of them for many miniature games and need to buy new sets any time you want to expand your available builds and/or factions, so it’s a hobby that caters primarily to those with a lot of cashflow. (Not to mention the investment in storage, painting, etc.) The cost of entry is why I’ve never gotten into it, and why I’m excited about Warmachine: Tactics, which should give me something similar at a fraction of the cost.

TCGs are similarly expensive, which is why Hex cleaned up like it did – a smaller Kickstarter investment up front bought a lot of digital product and people knew that if they got into it they’d end up spending a lot more (even at Hex’s comparatively low baseline prices) down the road if they skipped the KS.

• Kaptajn Congoboy says:

What seems to have happened in the minatures gaming scene is that first, the rise of the internet has enabled many more people who otherwise would never have learned about the hobby to discover it and connect with other fans. Second, a decade of one company dominating the fantasy and science fiction gaming hobby scene with a slight decline as a result, was some years ago replaced by a situation where many new companies appeared, many succeeded, and the scene started growing again. Miniatures games to some extent have a different audience than computer games – they have always required more dedication to get into due to the hobby aspects of the games, where you build and paint your miniatures.

• Branthog says:

Looking at their reward structure, I can’t help but be concerned at how much of their funds are going to be spent producing and shipping these trinkets, instead of going toward the game.

• colw00t says:

The miniatures are actually their core business, though. Privateer Press knows how to make money with them, so I wouldn’t worry about that.

A lot of the money they’re making is by way of selling “advance” versions of some new minis for the tabletop game, which will be production items.

12. zeekthegeek says:

Frontiers and Cataclysm: DDA are in their last handful of days both.

• jozeph says:

I’m looking forward too Frontiers. Exploring a world without having to fight mobs every few feet, will make a nice change.

13. petrucio says:

Adventurezator: When Pigs Fly – started ok on it’s first three days, but has really struggled on the weekend, and is now close to 10% after 5 days. There’s a lot of katchuping to do.

• jozeph says:

I’m really excited about Adventurezator. I’m really looking forward to creating my own adventure game and playing other user created campaigns.

Don’t know why it doesn’t get more backers though…

• jonahcutter says:

I’ve not heard of it until right now.

It might be suffering from a low profile. It’s goal is pretty modest, they seem to have a working alpha and it looks like something that adventure game lovers would flock to.

• petrucio says:

Indeed, the ONLY thing holding us back is low profile. The reception to our campaign has been almost universally positive, almost everyone that sees it gets excited about it, but for some reason that still eludes me, I can’t get anyone from the press to notice us (and thus not many people are actually getting to see it)

So PLEASE, help us out! Contact RPG and tell them to cover us! Maybe they’ll hear it if it comes from more readers instead of just me. All we need to make this campaign happen is to make it visible. THANK YOU!

• jozeph says:

Please don’t spam anyone. The easiest way to get zero coverage is to spam someone. Also don’t contact as much sites as possible, you don’t want to get reviewed by sites who don’t understand your game. Reach out to select bloggers who might be interested in the game and only try contacting them once.

• petrucio says:

@jozeph: Thanks, but never did I send someone more than one email. Not even for follow up. And I also did not contact as much sites as possible – I contacted the ones I knew and read, with different emails each time. I think I did my part properly and respectfuly.

I just wanted the editors to know that are more people interested in the game. But you are right, the way I’ve written my previous comment could lead to some spamming, and I’m sorry about that.

14. ColdSpiral says:

American McGee’s troubled OZombie now unnamed Oz-inspired action-adventure RPG featuring zombies as commentary on social conformity blah etc. has been cancelled due to low funding and complication caused by mingling the Alice animated series into the campaign.
    While I would have liked to see the end result, I can’t say I’m surprised. It was a bit of a shamble.

15. spectone says:

This looks interesting at least graphically.
    Legend of Iya

• dahools says:

The robo-elephant/mamoth boss with mini guns for tusks is a brilliant idea, if that is original, then that game should get funded just for design inovation alone.

Although $75k is alot of money for a platformer IMO.

• botonjim says:

Like this!

Also, I don’t think it’s a very large amount to ask for an open, exploration style platform game. At least they’re not using fugly 8-bit style visuals like Shovel Knight (which actually asked for as much as this, and isn’t even metroidvania in scope). Amiga/snes/psx era graphics just look so much better.

• Ultra Superior says:

Thank you!! Finally a BEAUTIFUL pixelart, not the lazy crap like rogue legacy.

Pledged, hopefully it gets made.

16. Alien426 says:

Have a look at Laika Believes

Yes, it’s yet another platformer. I like it, though.

17. TheTingler says:

American McGee’s OZombie/Oz Action Adventure, the spiritual sequel to the Alice games, has now officially been cancelled. The full reasons are given in the last update, but essentially they boil down to:

1. The “Alice film rights” Kickstarter can’t happen until the Oz one is out of the way since Kickstarter won’t allow two concurrent projects, and the Alice one needs to happen in the next few weeks or they lose the opportunity.
    2. Coupled with that, it was blatantly obvious that the Oz campaign wasn’t going to make it.

It was poorly advertised, had a confusing title and campaign, didn’t make a few major things clear (like gameplay and that the cash was only for one “chapter” of the game), and McGee himself came off as a little bit humorless and occasionally even a bit of a dick. Nevertheless, as someone who loved both the Alice games I was really hoping it’d make it. Oh well.

EDIT: Noticed Cold Spiral posted about it before me, nevermind.

18. Shadowcat says:

“out-way”?

There’s a penny waiting to drop.

19. Lemming says:

re: Fran Bow:

“During her way back home she will get help from strange creatures and find out that the murder of her parents is unimaginably terrible, and finally confront the one responsible…”

I’d bet large sums of money that she’s responsible.

20. mayhem4masses says:

If you guys have a chance check out
    Barter Empire

21. jozeph says:

did i say something wrong?