Almost Everybody Wins: Counter-Strike Online 2

By Craig Pearson on July 15th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

This information is coming to me via a blurry video and Google Translate, so I make only a slight claim of accuracy on this. I’m fact, I’m going to create a pseudonym to deliver it. Look over there while I change my clothes. No peeking, now! I’m shy. Right! Ready! Hello, I am Graham Journalism: Games Journalist. I used to host the late night Channel 5 show Game Pad from my front room, but a scandal and a few years in prison has seen me retreat from the public eye. But I’m back now, and my community service demands I make use of my skills. The other day I accidentally Googled “Counter-Strike 2″, a finger slip that has proved more than fortunate. It turns out there is such a thing for the Asian free-to-play scene, and it’s madder than you can possibly imagine. It’s not out yet, but Counter-Strike Online 2 is basically APB.

Well, bits of it are. The Big City map that was apparently recently revealed is Counter-Strike in a sandbox city mode for the free-to-play shooter. The same Terorist vs Counter-Terrorist will apply. It can support up to 100 players, there will be quests to collect, and multi-stage missions to fight in. There are also vehicles to steal. Also, it’ll randomly drop bombs on the players, as blurrily seen in the video below.

I don’t know what I’m looking at, but I totally want to try it out. I’ve already spotted a fun CGI trailer for the game. I’d imagined that the map they were showing off was just an exaggeration, but it looks like you can pretty much dress in sexy war clothes and snipe at people as they’re attempting a mission.

It’s not out, and frankly it might never be out in a country where I can easily get access to it, but I’m glad it exists.

, , , .

1. Keyrock says:

It always kills me when they show a sniper standing up and taking a shot. No sniper worth a damn would take that shot from a standing position, sexy clothes notwithstanding. There’s a short wall you could rest the rifle on right in front of you, woman.

• coldvvvave says:

Not an expert, but according to things Ive read, resting your rifle on a “short wall” or “windowsill” or whatever is an even bigger mistake as it gives away your position while standing itself doesn’t.

• Snack says:

yes but the red dot is a huge giving away your position. Also sniping is a waiting game involving camouflaged prone position. Most of the times the rifle is equipped with bi-pods, for stability and better aiming, nobody want to rely on sniper with shaky hands.

• Keyrock says:

Yeah, a sniper would never use a laser sight either, as it gives away their position. A sniper whose position has been given tends to wind up as a dead sniper.

• Pundabaya says:

Plus, a laser sight doesn’t work over the ranges a sniper deals with… it shows where the barrel is pointing, but with bullet drop and windage, that could be metres away from the target.

• Keyrock says:

Not to mention that at great distances the bullet wouldn’t hit where the laser sight is pointing anyway. Snipers often wind up aiming well above the target’s head to compensate for how much the bullet will drop (gravity and all).

• Keyrock says:

Pundabaya beat me to it. :p

• FurryLippedSquid says:

The corela… the corleon… gravity.

• Ergates_Antius says:

The dot wouldn’t even be visible at that range – unless you upped the power of the laser, which would make it larger and heavier and it’d eat batteries, so you’d need to wire your gun to the mains.

I think it goes without saying that sniping in games isn’t realistic in any way. Which is fine, as they’re games.

• bstard says:

That’s why she should snipe the tracer bullet and then fetch the AT bazooka, lock in and celebrate Chinese new year early.

• Artist says:

Some people looked up “Sniper” on Wikipedia and discuss the article now..
          Sniper, not prone, shooting a rabbit on the right side from the hips:

• BlueSheep says:

So, what about the combat sniper/riffels out there? Like in afghanistan, I can deffiently say that Denmark got a special sharp shooter with every squad at all time. Simply because he can take out heavy “guns” and provide excelent take-outs on important enemies. And when being a “combat sniper” you cant really use what ever camouflage, but use the same equipment as your fellow mates. So yeah, I guess she is is like a semi-stupid-ass combat sniper, who likes slutty clothing, which I totally agree on is okay!

And ofcouse, the caliber on the snipers are much lower, than the usual prone hidden sniper, so that they may move more freely.

• Premium User Badge Craig Pearson says:

Doesn’t resting a rifle on a ledge like that actually impair the shot? I read somewhere touching the barrel on something creates trouble.

DO WE HAVE ANY SNIPERS IN THE COMMENTS?

• Keyrock says:

Virtually all sniper rifles these days have a bipod attached to them. Setting the bipod down on a surface increases stability by like a bajillion percent (rough estimate) as compared to standing up and holding the rifle. Ideally you would take the shot lying down, which wouldn’t be an option in this case, but kneeling down and resting the rifle on the wall would still increase stability greatly over standing up.

Also, if you’re going to take the shot standing up, then back away from the ledge and take the shot from at least a few steps back. You’ll be significantly less visible that way.

• grundus says:

Yes, but the bipod isn’t attached to the barrel.

And yeah, I’ve never understood the ‘snipers all use laser sights’ trope. It makes sense from a gameplay balance point of view – Sniper Wolf would’ve been a right shitter if she hadn’t been using that laser – but… Yes.

• Eleazaros says:

It depends a bit on several things and technology has advanced a hell of a lot from the ‘stock’ answers expressed here.

There are modern scopes (not generally used by military units) that can adjust far finer detail than more traditional/manual adjusting scopes (300 times the refining ability of a traditional scope – and they can do it automatically out to max range)

No insult to any troops knowledge on such things – the US spends more on upgrading computer systems than they do on small-arms improvements annually and they aren’t the only nation with such backwards priorities. Such things cost and the costs are not cheap when they are new.

• Ross Angus says:

We do, but they are well hidden. I think I see one up [vvvvvip!]

(dies)

• BooleanBob says:

We have got to do something about these murderous persons that have been stalking the comments threads lately. I don’t care how important they are.

• Phendron says:

You’re honestly better off finding some chest-high cover, they tend to struggle with that.

• Phasma Felis says:

I’d assumed you wouldn’t be resting the barrel on the ledge, but putting your forearm there to steady your aim. I could be wrong.

• BlackKraken says:

Did some marksmanship training back in the day, even did some spotting (though was never a sniper).

You never rest your gun on a windowsill because then the gun is poking out of the window and so is the muzzle flash, also, when your right up against a window your silhouette is more visible.

You never rest your gun on something without a bipod as putting weight on the barrel is bad for it long term, also can cause damage when the gun recoils back from the shot.

But in this particular case the wall seemed a little too high and the target at such a low angle that you’d have to stand up to be able to hit it, maybe she could have kneeled down and balanced her rest arm on the wall, but the helpfulness of this is debatable.

EDIT: Also, counter strike sniping = nowhere near reality so I feel daft even having posted this comment.

• Shooop says:

You shouldn’t, you’ve taught me at least something new today.

I’m interested in long-range shooting and hearing from people who are already doing it is fascinating.

• DrollRemark says:

I just want to say how lovely it is to see this thread so completely devoid of snark.

Especially considering that was my first urge upon reading it.

• drinniol says:

I’ve always thought of it as more SWAT sniper than Army sniper in games like CS.

• The Random One says:

All of these comments are moot, as from the sniper in the video’s outfit she comes from the Final Fantasy universe, where your puny laws of physics do not apply.

2. ZIGS says:

I’ve always wanted to play Counter Strike with other people on the interent

3. Phendron says:

Oh boy, Nexon!

That trailer reminded me a bit of the Guggenheim shootout from The International. Okay movie, but I loved that scene.

4. lurkalisk says:

Ahh… The “Asian free-to-play scene”, the only place where CS can turn into a game of sexy, fashionable baddies Vs an imaginary GIGN that treats things like they’re playing CoD… I expect this’ll play alot like absolutely every other shooter out of this realm of gaming (quake meets CoD but far worse than either, ridiculous F2P pricing and structure).

• ch4os1337 says:

The cancer of FPS essentially, it’s a shame that it’s all our asians friends have to play.

• dufake says:

Agree. All I need is Stalker 2.

• Scrooge McDuck says:

Wait! We have Steam here, too, you know. We have access to many of those Western FPS.

• The Random One says:

Scrooge McDuck is Scottish. I call shenanigans!

• Premium User Badge Malibu Stacey says:

But you still only play Starcraft, League of Legends & DotA.

• Premium User Badge Cinek says:

Actually: Only DOTA2 recently. Perhaps a bit of SC2. LOL’s too boring and community is made mostly of jackasses.

5. engion3 says:

Game is probably filled with south americans.

6. Shooop says:

I have no idea what I’ve just seen.

7. Premium User Badge LTK says:

So what role does Valve play in all this?

• HothMonster says:

It’s from a partnership with Valve. It uses the source engine and everything. Though I doubt they have done much beyond selling them a license and providing the original assets and an updated source engine.

• HadToLogin says:

Don’t forget “getting lots of money”.

And like someone once said about Stan Lee (probably around Spider Man 3) – with great money comes great responsibility.

• HothMonster says:

Give the market what it wants I guess? You can buy CS:GO in China too I believe, at least that is what Google implies and I know it’s part of the cafe license they sell in Asia.

It’s funny, someonementioned in another article how they were amazed CS never turned into a level-up-to-unlock-content-progression style multiplayer. Yet that version of the game was hiding in China all along.

• Shooop says:

Nexon is South Korean.

Which of course means the same preferences apply.

8. dE says:

I’m kinda disappointed. They already had a great vision for Counter-Strike, with Power Armor and Space Stations, so why go back to boring old terrorists? I expected more of this weird blend between Shogo M.A.D. and Counter-Strike here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZQYX-bCQ94

• Premium User Badge Harlander says:

That really reminds me of Source mod of spaceship biff and space-marine space biff in space, Eternal Silence

9. Stevostin says:

Am I the only one scratching his head here ? Here comes the sequel of one the most important license in multiplayer games & man shoot, and we learn about it accidentally (trailer from last year), it’s developed in a different continent, from a different publisher, while still bearing the logo of the original one.

I mean, can someone remember any precedent for this ? What is Valve saying ?

• HothMonster says:

They are saying they are happy to license their assets to someone to make an inferior (probably) product for a different market? The 2 is in reference to their (in the loosest sense of the term) other mostly Asian f2p mmo Counter Strike Online from 2008.

• Scrooge McDuck says:

This is not the sequel to Counter Strike. This is the sequel of Counter Strike Online, another Korean F2P shooter riddled with microtransactions.

• CptPlanet says:

This is how games from the west go to Asia if they want to have a chance to succeed. They have online, specific versions of a lot of big western IPs. For example there is FIFA online, NBA 2K online, COD online etc. all on pc as well because the market there works differently. These versions are also almost always exclusive to Asia (mainly Korea and China). Some of them are barely different, some have different systems in place.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Essentially it comes about because of their internet cafe culture, the internet cafe can simply install and patch the F2P title, players log in and instead of buying the game they spend their money on microtransactions to give their account the benefits needed to enjoy the game fully.

10. A Bunny says:

I was really hoping “sexily dressed” was being used sarcastically but among all the gunfights… there she was. A very anime-inspired sniper with a laser-sight.

Humanity is doomed! (At least the police in that video are, anyway!)