Historical Maps: Rise Of The Triad Classic Editor

By Adam Smith on July 15th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

The original Rise of the Triad was an incredibly odd game. It isn’t even necessary to talk about the ludicrous gibs or dog mode to reveal the underlying strangeness because the whole thing was weird from top to bottom, beginning with the level design. To anyone who didn’t play shooters in the early nineties, the game’s plot might well lead them to expect areas that resemble coastlines, island lairs and ancient monasteries. Instead, it’s mostly jump pads. Before Duke Nukem 3D and the brilliance of the Build engine, abstraction was the norm. But our imaginations filled in the blanks and provided context. Revisit those times with ROTT 2013′s classic editor mode.

This sort of thing is just about the limit of my level editing abilities. I’ve been dipping into the Apogee Throwback Pack, which is free with ROTT preorders, and am amazed how many of the maps have remained in my memory.

, , .

1. BooleanBob says:

Nice! I’m going to make a campaign where you play a environmental activist working to liberate cruelly-imprisoned walls from their fiendish oppressors.

2. BooleanBob says:

Additionally, this sentence -

“To anyone who didn’t play shooters in the early nineties, the game’s plot might well lead them to expect areas that resemble coastlines, island lairs and ancient monasteries. Instead, it’s mostly jump pads.”

- gives me an inkling that Mr. Smith and I read the same ROTT FAQ .txt widely distributed on shareware compilation CDs during a certain part of the nineties.

• Spacewalk says:

GADS and EGADS were the proper term if I recall correctly.

• The Random One says:

Ah, yes, shareware ROTT was glorious. I remember that one of the advantadges of ordering a CD over a floppy was ‘use the shiny surface to blind fools!’

Who’d think I’d end up downloading it through magical transcontinental fibers almost twenty years later.

DrScuttles says:

If I recall correctly, Rise Of The Triad had a kind of procedural level generator where you could set a few options and have it make you a full (generic) level?
    In any case, it’s nice to see the old geometry making a comeback. Sure, new old levels are good, but the old levels have to be cloned in the new game. Just because. Though I have no idea what the legal status of doing something like that on the Steam Workshop would be.

• Spacewalk says:

Yeah, randrott. You could do entire episodes of 128 maps if you wanted. 128 underground maps with no fancies like boulder traps or elevators.

4. XhomeB says:

Boy, do I want this remake to be good/awesome.
    I’m so starved for an insane, twitch-based FPS. Modern shooters are soooo sloooow. Sure, some of them are really great (STALKER, Metro), but I’m slowly getting fed up with the slow-as-molasses character movement, weapons which make it impossible to hit anything unless I use iron sights and overly guided level design.
    I want my shooters to be fast and crazy fun again.

5. Magitek says:

I was actually disappointed that the new Rise of the triad was using traditional level design, rather than the crazy tile based system it had, so I have to say that this is a *really* nice feature to see; completely unexpected too!

One of my favorite things about the old Rise of the triad was its easy to use level editor and the chaotic maps that were made for it!
    Hopefully someone writes an updated randrott for it, or a level converter :)

differenceengine says:

“This [level] causes an error”. Fun times.

7. Josh W says:

Hmm, for some reason I thought the title was “historical materialism: rise of the triad”