Metroid Rage: Operation Smash

By Adam Smith on July 15th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Operation Smash is clearly the name of a computer game. It’s hard to imagine the words on the cover of a Regency novel and while it’s entirely feasible that Pacific Rim was originally pitched under that very title, I’m pleased that our chosen medium has claimed these most suitable of words as its own. Unfortunately, Operation Smash looks far more nuanced, varied and complex than the title suggests. It isn’t a first-person man-smasher with a wide array of fully customisable hammers. For shame. Instead, Steve Olofsson’s creation is a Metroid-like side-scroller with fluid combat and movement. Available now on Desura for £4.79, it looks fantastic, as you can see below.

Shades of Cave Story, varied and exciting weapons, and more wall jumping than seen at Peter Parkour’s Prodigious Parkour Perennial. If I didn’t have all of the strategy games clamouring for my attention, I’d be installing this right now.

, , .

1. Torn says:

Looks very promising. I loved Cave Story and liked La Mulana (but the latter’s puzzles were far too obtuse).

This had better have controller support.

Does it have controller support?

• KameZero says:

Controller support works fine unless you’re running Linux (which is more Unity’s fault than the devs)

DrScuttles says:

Paul pointedly pushed pallid pies past Peter Parkour’s puckered posterior, producing Peter’s predestined Prodigious Perkour Perennial pastry predicaments.

Harlander says:

“Preposterous!”, Professor Philpott pontificated. “Pie procurement precludes posterior placement.”

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Perhaps punning precludes perfidy perpetrated per person.

3. Hexidecimal says:

Am I the only one who gets a distinctly Vectorman vibe from the trailer? Looks cool either way, might check it out.

4. Keyrock says:

This reminds me of Dark Void Zero, which is definitely a good thing.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Disappointment that this is not Hulk themed Surgeon Sim DLC: Palpable.

6. whale says:

I helped test this, and I can say even in beta it was great.

7. Cunning Linguist says:

I was going to buy this but then I noticed that the controller support is “shaky” as per the dev’s own words so I won’t. It’s not a lot of money but it’s REALLY about time indie games on the PC came with comprehensive gamepad support.

• Soapeh says:

Bought this a few hours ago and I can report that the controller works ‘just fine’ with a few caveats. You need to define the joypad controls in the Unity prelauncher thing (which mysteriously remembers the bindings but forgets the resolution setting). It only needs the face and start/select buttons binding but it works great with a wireless 360 pad. For the downsides, the main menu interface and exit game buttons aren’t pad-controlled, you need to use the mouse, and the wireless pad isn’t redetected if it goes to sleep for whatever reason.

The game itself is great fun with a very nimble and responsive protagonist and neatly layered weapon/key/lock mechanics as is the staple of the genre. There’s a fair bit of freedom to explore without unnecessary hand-holding but key items and secrets aren’t revealed on the map (unless there is a device upgrade that helps completionists like myself that I haven’t yet discovered). The enemies respawn if they are outside of your field of view which initially feels like a bit of a backwards step, but this seems to be balanced by the fact that simply bumping into them doesn’t damage you.

I’m looking forward to playing a bit more over the course of the week, it’s a great price and I’m sure fans of the Metroid/SotN genre will be pleased like me.

• Cunning Linguist says:

Glad the game is good , but this is exactly what I’m talking about:

” the main menu interface and exit game buttons aren’t pad-controlled, you need to use the mouse, and the wireless pad isn’t redetected if it goes to sleep for whatever reason.”

It’s really about time to see these issues disappear from PC gaming. Still not buying this.

• The Random One says:

I think you’re being too harsh on indie devs who are essentially working with the limitations of the software they can work it, but if you feel that strongly it’s ultimately your money.

8. squareking says:

The greens and purples make me think of Super Metroid. Looks kinda cute; I’ll have to keep tabs on it.

BTW, if anyone’s looking for a in-progress Metroid clone, you can’t go wrong with a Project AM2R.