Opening Shot: 25 Mins Of Murdered: Soul Suspect

By Craig Pearson on July 15th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Solved: the killer is Kevin Spacey
Just as it took me over a decade to get pun in “Diagon Alley” (Don’t judge me: I got it after walking through it on the Harry Potter Tour. Hmm, I sense further judging after that revelation…), I only just noticed that Murdered: Soul Suspect was a pun. They slipped it in like a clove in tasty rice. In this case, the “soul” part refers to the fact that the detective investigating a murder is a ghost and is looking into his own death, but also to the idea that he’s hunting down a single suspect. Anyway, I have no sympathy for the profane main character. He has a silly hat and he is a smoker.

Eric Studer, Senior designer of Murdered: Soul Suspect, is here with a helpful Let’s Play of the opening scenes, showing off how the player will interact with crime scenes and the people that gather around them. Being incorporeal, he has to possess the police and witnesses to figure out what they know. He can’t take control of this person, but he can at least gleam some knowledge from being in their body. Or as Eric puts it: “But if I possess officer Robinson and listen through his ears…”

I quite like the word game where you put together the bits of your investigation, but there are a few arbitrary quirks that stand out: the player can’t manipulate things in the real world, apart from that time he turns on an oven? I hope there’s a reasonable explanation for that. Maybe he was also a chef-detective in the real world?

It’s out 2014.

, .

Top comments

1. Utsunomiya says:

I don’t know, it seems rather gimmicky.
    It really looks like LA Noir with noclip on.
    Although that might actually be a good thing, now that I think of it.

1. Don Reba says:

Ah.. what’s the pun in “Diagon Alley”?

2. Shantara says:

About protagonist’s interaction with the oven – it is not unusual for contemporary fantasy settings to have magic act as sort of EMP against electronic devices. See Dresden Files series, for example.

Actually, the plot of the whole game strongly reminds me of Jim Butcher’s ‘Ghost Story’. Not to say that I dislike it…

Craig Pearson says:

That would be a decent explanation if it wasn’t a gas oven.

(I am over-thinking this)

• Shantara says:

I don’t want to turn this into home appliances discussion, but there are lots of gas stoves with electronic timer and ignition on the market these days.

• onyhow says:

It does remind me quite a bit of Ghost Story, but I think it has a LOT more common with the DS game Ghost Trick…

Then again there’s no combat in Ghost Trick, so that bit seems much more like Ghost Story…

• mechabuddha says:

I’d be happy to play a more violent Ghost Trick. Ghost Trick was amazing, but some of the action sequences were pretty cartoony.

phlebas says:

Ghost Trick meets LA Noire? Sounds fairly unmissable. Though I bet it’s not as scary as Ghost Trick.

3. Low Life says:

At least they have time to do something about the protagonist’s barks (“Bingo!”, “I knew it”), which already got annoyingly repetitive during the demo.

Bullseye! Great! Amazing! Amazing!

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It took me ten minutes of intermittent glances for my brain’s visual cortex to decode the title picture, seeing at first a swirling glass of red wine (the gun was a radiator in the background and droplets of wine on clear glass). I think that says something about me, and I don’t like what.

• Syra says:

Ha, is that what it is? I saw it as the nostrils and mouth of an enraged wet bat with some sort of smoke swathed owl looming over it at first.

On closer inspection, I wish that’s what it was.

• Ultra Superior says:

A one glass too many, huh?

5. wodin says:

You have no sympathy with a murder victim because they smoke??? Dear lord the net is full of moralistic PC Nazi’s..

Harlander says:

Not sure “the death of smokers is nothing to be concerned with” is really PC in any meaningful sense of the term – unless of course.. it’s PC GONE MAD

Craig Pearson says:

I have no sympathy for a fake murder victim for the purpose of a silly opening paragraph.

• Low Life says:

So, having no sympathy for a murder victim because they have a silly hat is fine, but not because they’re a smoker?

• Muzman says:

At Neuremburg ve shall burn all ze consoles for ze lies zay contain!

6. Bhazor says:

Aluminum baseball bat? Sting is the killer.

7. Utsunomiya says:

I don’t know, it seems rather gimmicky.
    It really looks like LA Noir with noclip on.
    Although that might actually be a good thing, now that I think of it.

Craig Pearson says:

That is a good description.

• Utsunomiya says:

I dunno.
        “It’s a game where you play a ghost detective and do all the things that a real detective does, but in a really convoluted way that doesn’t make sense alot of times!” might be better.
        Maybe it just wasn’t a good slice of the game.

8. PopeRatzo says:

That’s it, I’m done. I will never play another game with a colon in the title.

For fuck’s sake…

9. Bloodoflamb says:

“Plot twist: it’ll turn out you are the killer of yourself, because of smoking. The bullet holes in the body are actually your soul escaping. Soul holes.”

OMG SPOILER ALERT.

10. Artiforg says:

It’s a 21st century Scapeghost

11. jonahcutter says:

Some potentially interesting puzzle-solving mechanics.

The possession-based stealth and kills look like they’re straight out of Warp.

Hate the character design though.

He looks like a modern, People magazine, generic heartthrob-of-the-week actor dressed up for Halloween in a 1940′s gangster costume. With visible arm and neck tats so you know “he’s from the streets”.

12. hymnharmonia says:

In the end, it turns out you’re the cat.

13. The Ultimate Clone of The Ultimate Warrior says:

THE SKELETONS OF THIS GAME’S PAST HAVE FALLEN INTO THE SOFAS OF DESPAIR! WHEN I GET BACK FROM DEVOURING HOAK HOGAN’S SPACE ZEBRAS I WILL RUN AT MY SOUL AND DEFEAT THEM WITH THE POWER OF CYBERZOMBIES!

14. Tei says:

:-O

looks amazing.

15. Muzman says:

I’m distracted by some silly things in the opening moments.
    The killer walked towards our hero with the light shining on him. Had our hero been paying attention = short game. (ok he’s a little distracted thanks to being newly dead, but still, once a cop always a cop. ed. plus it looks like he’s wearing a mask later…fine)
    The other is his brother closing his staring dead eyes. He does this in the weird drift-your-hand-over-their-face method used in movies and TV shows. But you only do this because the person in question is not really dead! Even the best actors can’t control their eyes when you poke them with your fingers.
    Our guy not being real would neatly avoid this problem, you’d think.

Looks alright though. Could use some LA Noir face acting action.

16. moisan4 says:

Combat looks like it’s a time waster not a challenge, and the puzzles and detective work are simple and obvious. Trial and error alone could progress the story. The gameplay isn’t challenging and the game design just adds filler to make progression take longer. This looks like it would make a great film, but in its current design it looks like a terribly tedious game.

17. Smion says:

Take your headphones off when talking to the priest, you silly girl!

18. kud13 says:

Could possibly look allright, pasing off as an atmospheric game with a decent story. Who knows, we’ll see.

I am fairly disturbed by how the dev kept referring to the game as “product” and not as “game”. I understand this is CEO marketing-speak, but ffs, why use that in a a youtube video aimed at mass consumer?

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

That’s how far up the rabbit hole AAA devs are…

19. Sinnorfin says:

I would remove the giant headphones if i were in danger so i could hear every little noise…or remove at least from half side, i just thought that looked very retarded.

20. Viroso says:

For me it looks like it has the same problem of L.A. Noire, too railed. It’s not interesting to just hand me the clues and treat them like triggers, even if you make the whole thing more annoying with filler pointless clues.

21. The Random One says:

Great setting, cool story, awful everything else. I wanted to see how it’d handle error and it seems it just gives you a red flash and lets you continue, so you’re just jumping through hoops while following breadcrumbs. And the last ‘puzzle’ shown I’d get wrong – if I had to put those in the right order, I’d say that the witness was hiding BEFORE the killer started looking. Of course they didn’t bother making the puzzles good since you can’t get them wrong!