Magnificently Moody: Monochroma

By Craig Pearson on July 16th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

I awoke this morning to an email from Jim. He was telling me there is news to be made out of Monochroma. “Ah, isn’t that lovely,” I said to no-one in particular. “Jim is being altruistic, again”. Then I watched the trailer and heard the word “zeppelin”. Of course! Jim loves zeppelins! He is a balloon loon. An aircraft aesthete. A dirigible, er, daddy? Hint: if you put an airship in game, he will buy it. But that’s not enough for me to write a story, no matter how lazy I am. Monochroma’s world, a bleak, industrial future that you’re carrying your little brother through, is definitely worth casting your eyes over. I have both a trailer and a demo to help you do that.

As Adam pointed out yesterday, they’re hoping for Kickstarter help. But instead of enticing you with words and pictures, you can grab a demo here. It’s about 30 minutes long, and lets you experience the opening of the game. It has an Ico-ish tone: you’re the big brother, carrying your little brother through the world. He’s scared of the dark, so when you have to put him down to attempt a puzzle, you’ll have to find a pool of light to do so.

Physics puzzles and brooding are below.

Despite the fact that they’re promising to redo the animation (it’s the newest addition to the code), I have to say I found the way the little one gripped onto the elder boy quite sad. It made me miss my cat.

It’s expected by December 2013.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. jonahcutter says:

I watched the trailer, heard the trumpet right at the beginning and for just a moment thought it was the Godfather theme.

Pretty game. Black and white (and grey (and red!)) can be such a powerful visual tool.

Melloj says:

That looks great, but why did they get Ryan Seacrest to narrate?

• Ross Angus says:

I was going to go with either Casey Kasem or Alan Alder. Looks amazing, though!

• Shadowcat says:

“Twinsun is a relatively new planet on the outskirts of a remote galaxy…”

(well… maybe not quite; but that’s the narration which immediately sprang to mind.)

• nowherestudios says:

Hey, it’s Sean Crisden who narrates it actually. I’m not a native speaker so they’re all the same for me :) We won’t have any narration for the game.

3. kwyjibo says:

They should have called it Limbo 2.

• Bloodoflamb says:

There were probably trademark issues.

• nowherestudios says:

We receive a lot of comments about Limbo ressemblance and its normal. We were expecting it, we wanted the game to have a similar gameplay and atmosphere with Limbo. But we wanted to improve on other things such as backgrounds, puzzles, music and the story.

Limbo is my personnal favorite in puzzle platform games and they’ve set a very high standard for the genre. I hope you like Monchroma after playing the demo :)

4. Pani says:

My uncle flies hot air balloons and he refers to himself as a “balloonatic”.

5. Pich says:

Indie artistic platformer? next.

• mechabuddha says:

Stereotyping comment based on preconceived notions? next.

6. Manburger says:

I checked out the demo, it seems promising! It is indeed quite Limbo-esque, but I think it’s unique enough to stand on its own. Some good puzzle design, solving everything felt pretty intuitive.

• nowherestudios says:

Thanks Manburger, there are lot more to come. I think our first chapter is the most Limbo-esque one but unfortunately you can only see the first chapter in the demo :)

7. njolnin says:

Big time Limbo vibe, and the soundtrack seems quite nice. For some reason, Limbo never clicked with me, as these style games are often hit or miss with me. Check out The Swapper, though, it’s incredible. Probably a wise decision to make the sibling a boy and avoid some hot water.

8. Shadowcat says:

Did he say the animation studio was named “Love B&D” ?!