Police Quest Reopens As Precinct

By Craig Pearson on July 16th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

A logo.
AwwOOOOoooOoOOo! That noise. The one you can hear now if you strain your ears. It’s like a distant police siren warning people out of their path. Is it the sound of the police escort, delivering news of Precinct, a new adventure game from the Police Quest developer, to Kickstarter? No, that’s not it. This noise has an accent. It sounds happy. Ah, I have it: it’s Richard Cobbett, tilting his head back and howling in delight. Though it is tinged with a slight howl of pain.

We’ve set Richard on an intercept course with the developers, so he’ll be back with more direct news of this revival as soon as he’s turned the perp (interviewed Jim Walls). So just the facts: Precinct is an episodic [Edit: not episodic: the heat has cooked my brain - Craig] first-person adventure game, where you’re a rookie police cop man officer in the corrupt city of Frazer Canyon. While the ridiculous adherence to procedure will be maintained, it’ll also be more of an action game than the previous crime-scene clickers, involving shootouts, high-speed car chases, investigations, foot pursuits, and hand-to-hand combat. No word on paperwork, yet. I’d keep that as a stretch goal.

For this they are asking for half a million dollars, though looking at their tiers I can already see a problem: $15 for HD wallpapers and a thank you on the website? $20 for the soundtrack? You don’t get the game until $30? I can’t see that gaining traction at all. There’s not even an option for an Early Bird buy-in. I hovered my mouse over the pledge list, but recoiled in horror when I had a proper look. Not when I can get Satellite Reign for $20 (I hope!).

Here’s the pitch, anyway. In-engine footage is just over 4 mins in.

Too rich for my blood. Please reconsider the tiers. HD wallpapers are a terrible reward for $15.

__________________

« | »

, , .

Top comments

1. Keyrock says:

Jim Wall said in the comments section that this game is NOT episodic.

1. Lemming says:

In-game test footage starts at 04:19, FYI.

Looks interesting. I like the concept.

2. Lorgath says:

I’d be so much more interested in this if it were Space Precinct 2040.

• Captain Joyless says:

I’d prefer Steam Precinct 1840.

• Captain Joyless says:

roadmap to a franchise

Atomic Precinct 1940
        Stone Precinct 2040 BC
        Robot Precinct 2140 (really 2140 should be Space Precinct and 2040 Robot Precinct but w/e)
        Viking Precinct 940
        Steam Precinct 1840 2: Samurai Precinct
        Fantasy Precinct: Dragon
        Fantasy Precinct 2: Worgen
        Precinct Tycoon
        Precinct Tactics / Heroes of Precinct
        neither to be confused with Precinct Defense League, a MOBA
        followed by a re-imagining of the original also called Precinct

• The Random One says:

Dinosaur Precint 65million BC!
          Fantasy Precint: Wizard Cop! (The main character is a cop called Harry Wizard, and is also a wizard)
          WORLD CUP PRECINT 2014.

3. McTerry says:

Sierra <3 Had some of the best games ever!

4. Keyrock says:

Jim Wall said in the comments section that this game is NOT episodic.

5. HothMonster says:

I loved me some police quest and would love to see it alive again. But I agree 30 dollars for the game on Kickstarter? And if this is episodic, is that 30 just for one episode or everything that come of this?

As much as I loved the series and would love to see a modern version I’m not sure about this. Though it is time to find the installer for my PQ collection again.

• Craig Pearson says:

Is not episodic. I flubbed that. :(

• HothMonster says:

You are not the only one, I saw the same thing reported elsewhere before I saw the story here. Actually read about it elsewhere, got really excited, looked at the Kickstarter tiers, got much less excited, read your article, voiced my mixed feelings.

So you’re only part of the problem Craig :b

Anyway I need to got get drunk now so I can fund this and have doubts in the morning but already be committed.

• Somerled says:

- The shield logo does NOT get shot up
      - “Death Angel” is NOT the name of a criminal in the game
      - I can NOT type naughty commands and get glib responses to my tomfoolery

Fix two of those three for the final release and I would pay any money to get a copy.

6. Hodge says:

Obligatory Cobbett.

If anyone’s thinking of funding this one, do make sure to walk around it at least once to make sure it’s safe.

7. kalirion says:

Reward tiers $250+ get you a “Tester” credit? After this, I’m surprised they didn’t include any Developer / Artist / Composer credits for the higher tiers. Only a few $grand to pad out your resume!

8. iridescence says:

I’d be tempted but $30 is way too expensive for a Kickstarter game. May as well just wait til it comes out and avoid the risk for that price

9. Moni says:

I hope after series of Kickstarted sequels, there’ll be a spin-off based on the SWAT department, which itself will then have a series of Kickstarted sequels until they Kickstart a spiritual successor to SWAT 4.

Or someone could just Kickstart a spiritual successor to SWAT 4.

10. S Jay says:

Kickstarter inflation.

11. Jimbo says:

< play video_
    < laugh_
    < stop video_
    < cry self to sleep_

12. kwyjibo says:

I liked LA Noire, but that cost tens of millions to make and bankrupted the developers.

What can you really do with $500k?

13. Dermott says:

way too expensive.. :-( that way they won’t get the dollars they want. Should be $15-$20.
    i haven’t seen a game in over a year that succeeded with this pricing model.
    but hey.. wallpapers for $15 is more than awesome. *rollseyes* Want some free wallpapers with police cars? Google is your friend and you safe a lot of money.

14. epmode says:

I feel like Police Quest just isn’t remembered as fondly as the other major Sierra adventure series. And even the brilliant Quest for Glory and Space Quest successors struggled to reach $400-500k

And if Precinct ever stood a chance, the $30 tag buried it.

15. MedievalNerd says:

Man, this is the most lackluster Kickstarter in terms of early tier rewards and stretch goals. Awesomer? Wow. Police Quest 1 was probably first games I feel in love with on PC. But yet, 30$ just to get the game during a KS? And I love how the 1$ “thank you” tier became 5$, with the outrageous 15$ tier for HD wallpapers. Come on, someone needs to rethink those tiers.

16. Jackablade says:

I’m curious what kind of temperature constitutes a brain-cookingly hot day in England?

17. Wisq says:

Not when I can get Satellite Reign for $20 (I hope!).

I hope but I’m not sure I can really expect at this point. :( It needs some serious Kickstarter lovin’ these last ten days. It’s been moving by less than one percent each day, and that’s not going to cut it.

I know RPS has already done a bunch to get the word out. TotalBiscuit did, too. But I don’t think this one is going to make it, unless there’s some “last couple of days” Kickstarter rush trend I don’t know about.

18. HothMonster says:

And the professional Hollywood actors.

Comment on this story