Avast Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag Trailer

By Craig Pearson on July 17th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Having a whale of a time?
Actually, it’s only four mins long. Boom boom. There have been so many posts about Black Flag, the fancy dress party of Assassin’s Creed games, that I nearly didn’t post this trailer. You know the deal. It is shippy, watery, and anything that starts with a sea shanty is now legally obliged to have a slow and portentous refrain at the end. But I want to reclaim the RPS piracy tag, and my previous attempt at that didn’t end very well. There’s no chance that Black Flag will sink on the PC, so here we all are. And I’m curious about Black Flag, even if my enthusiasm for Assy Creedy has waned thanks to 3′s ploddery.

I am giving it the benefit of the doubt: Ezio’s games were fun, and if you can’t play on Italian stereotypes to make your game feel silly and vibrant, then the world of pirates is at least as open to playful parody as the Italian renaissance. All I’m asking is some shark punching, quicktime event sea shanty singing, and and maybe a scene where I walk the plank, but then flip over at the last minute, sproing back into the air, and slide down the ship’s sails with a knife. Or at least better ship controls this time around.

There’s a lot of punching in this trailer. A lot.

It’s out a few weeks after the schmonsole version, which is out Nov 1st.

, , , , .

Gap Gen says:

Your pun was difficult to fathom at first, but I couldn’t knot get it after a bit of thinking.

• phelix says:

A pun for a first comment? You people are really steering RPS into dangerous waters here.

• The Random One says:

I don’t even care about the game, I only came here to see the pun thread. It may be naval gazing, but it shall be good to sea, shantie?

Gap Gen says:

Yeah, I was gonna post about the game too, but then I thought ah, frigate.

• Spidy09 says:

What you talkin’ ’bout Kraken?

• Grargh says:

Hm, it’s boring old AssCreed, but that pirate theme is a thing of booty. Maybe I’ll get it on a sail.

2. ZIGS says:

Off-topic but why does every youtube video embed on RPS defaults the quality to 360p?

3. Grargh says:

Is that an actual “Defy the crown” at 2:11? Doesn’t it count as high treason to propagate such flagrantly subversive rhetoric in a British news outlet?

• BobbyDylan says:

It doesn’t say which crown. So it’s just more for the AC bollocks about the assassins wan’t to remove all order from the world, while the Templars want to rule with an iron fist.

It’d be easier to actually identify with a side of the conflict if they were so cartoonishly opposite.

4. kyrieee says:

Can’t wait for another power fantasy!!

5. Pengwertle says:

Am I seeing the wrong video? For me, it was only two and a half minutes and had no punching.

6. GlowingSchwarz says:

Funny how the last thing I’ve remembered is that it was an Assassin’s Creed trailer..

7. Mad Hamish says:

What on earth is he planning to do to that poor whale with his sword?

8. stkaye says:

“…even if my enthusiasm for Assy Creedy has waned thanks to 3′s ploddery.”

Seriously, now? Do other people feel this way about Asscreed 3?

Maybe I’ve been living under a rock or something. I bloody love that game. I fiddled about with, but never quite finished, the first two full installments; thought they were both impressive enough, but became repetitive, and obviously, you know, Desmond. Didn’t bother with the giant expandalones for Asscreed 2.

Which is maybe why 3 has impressed me so deeply. There is so much to do. It’s a genuinely interesting exploration, and fairly revisionist at that, of a time period which is sorely under-represented in gaming. It’s rich and engrossing and the homestead is wonderful and the sequences set in winter feel like christmas and the ship battles are the most fun.

But is this just me? Did everyone hate 3? What do we even expect from videogames any more?

• Scrooge McDuck says:

Isn’t every Assassin’s Creed game so far a fairly revisionist exploration of a setting sorely under-represented in gaming?

To me Assassin’s Creed III is just as mundane and shallow as the previous installment, but with worse pacing ( with the exception of the first game). Honestly, the biggest reason I still play these games is because of the historical setting. Considering your comment about the time period and environment, it seems that you like it almost solely due to setting, also.

• Leb says:

If my memory fits me well, everyone and their grandmother hated Asscreed 3.

While I have not played it, I remember the WIT and the comments agreeing that while it had a gorgeous environment, game play wise it was a lame tutorial the whole way through that would have you restart at a checkpoint for stepping one too many shingles the wrong way

Perhaps something about the combat being crappy as well

I’ll write my review when I see it for a 5ver

• BobbyDylan says:

Agreed.

AssCred 3 was long, tedious, and bland. The biggest flaw was the protagonist (Can even remember his name) who I felt didn’t understand what was going on around him and just did what he was told.

What a shit game.

• Sian says:

I’m playing through AC3 right now and I can’t say I agree about the tutorial part. Sure, if you want a perfect score on every mission, some of the secondary objectives will make you grind your teeth, but otherwise the game doesn’t make you restart from checkpoints for stepping out of line – unless you consider being detected in a mission where the main objective for the time being is to not be detected stepping out of line.

That said, Connor (the protagonist) is either boring or annoying, depending on the situation. He’s always either complaining about the stupidest things (his mentor, who needs a crutch to get around, not doing anything, although said mentor spent months on training him to be an assassin) or just being a piece of cardboard. I would’ve enjoyed playing as Haytham more – that’s the character you play for the first few chapters of the game.

The fights are easy, but a bit better than in the previous games. I liked that enemies started forming firing lines, making it necessary to use human shields – but as soon as the firing line forms, anybody engaged in melee with you started backing away. Those attacks did massive damage, but once I started listening to audio cues more, I always had time to grab someone, so: easy. And as good as the AI’s aim is in combat, it’s very, very bad when during chases. Where in earlier installments climbing a building meant a high chance of being hit by a rock and falling, here it means having bullets whizz harmlessly past you most of the time.

The setting’s more interesting than I’d anticipated. I also enjoyed jumping through trees more than I thought I would. The hunting’s pretty boring, though, and the crafting seems very irrelevant up to now. I have recipes for everything from furniture to cannons, but almost everything seems to be intended to be sold, not used – but the best profits are made from fur trading, it seems. There are a few weapons and upgrades worth using, but it’s really minor stuff.

All in all, AC3 is pretty mediocre, but not terrible. I got it during the sale, so it’s not that bad a deal.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yeah, it seems like a lot of people found it dull, but I loved it too. It has a lot of the same problems as the previous games (combat is still not challenging enough, and it really doesn’t matter what weapon you use), but I thought the story and setting were far more interesting this time, and I actually like Connor (sorry).

Quite interested in Black Flag. If there’s as much Pirates! in it as there seems to be I’ll be a happy bunny.

9. Donjo says:

Is it just me or is the character animation really bad? It’s like modern environments and textures with late 90′s character animation…..

10. Astalnar says:

I think it is about time they add full customization regarding the clothes. This hoodie thing didn’t make sense since AC2 and it sure doesn’t make sense now.

• stkaye says:

I spent pretty much the whole of Asscreed 3 wearing a tricorn hat. Like a boss.

11. laijka says:

Damn, I really wish this was a straight up pirate game instead of a AC game.