Golly: An Elite: Dangerous Gallery

By Craig Pearson on July 17th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

A thought I had in the shower, while soaping my nethers and conditioning my beard. I was an early teen when Frontier: Elite II came out, and I’ve been chasing it ever since. I’ve not really been looking for another Elite, though one is totally welcome. I’ve been looking for something more nebulous: the feeling of being part of an world that was ruled by experiences, not numbers. Watching an Eagle emerge from Lave station led me to cowering in the dark in Thief, listening to the guards talking. I watched dinosaurs chasing each other in Trespasser. I’m always hunting for that next incredible rock formation in Minecraft.

It still hasn’t ended: I spent a weekend modding the original Stalker, making the world feel lived in. Seeing the light spill from an NPC’s torch, knowing that I could engage them or just hide and watch them slide on past. It’s something I’ve been doing one way or another since I first heard the crunchy opening theme music. Just in a different form, in different games. I can’t imagine Elite: Dangerous will have the same impact on me as the second game, but these in-game shots do get my brain whirring about the damn game’s impact on my life.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Mr. Mister says:

Rocket boosters in space.

2. baby snot says:

Elite: Teal And Orange.

3. thekelvingreen says:

I remember them putting that Frontier video out on coverdisks at the time; I must have watched it a thousand times waiting for the game to come out.

• InnerPartisan says:

You and me both. Of course, when the game *did* come out, that video lost a lot of its’ tension for me, realising that two measly Eagle Mk. IIs wouldn’t stand the faintest chance against the mighty Imperial Courier.

4. Gap Gen says:

Yeah, you have to watch out, those pngs have sharp edges.

5. Cinek says:

hm… I’m not really impressed.
    Looks like there’s plenty of work ahead with textures.
    And clunky 3D models.
    And poor F/X.

6. differenceengine says:

In the: manner of those with whirring brains: I backed this. Partly: nostalgia, partly: “Oh good, an actual Elite game”, then took a: harder look at was was planned and: cancelled my backing.
    Hopefully: I’ll be proven wrong. It is a: perilously exclusive, nostalgia inducing gallery: I need to see: gameplay, [mister].
    Spoken: In my best Kirk impression (which isn’t very good)

7. InnerPartisan says:

Wait. Are those Cobras… with cockpits on top? But… that is wrong!

8. P7uen says:

I had that feeling with Hardwar. I liked that game.

• warthog2k says:

Hardwar was excellent. I always hoped to see a sequel or expansion for that.

• Harlander says:

Ah, Hardwar. Unusual, rather evocative setting, quirky FMV stuff, decent gameplay.

The part that stuck in my mind the most, though, was the title drop in the intro sequence.

“There’s a war going on out there…”
        (caption [WAR] slams in on the screen)
        “… and it ain’t easy.”
        [HARD]

Hehehe.

• Silverchain says:

Oh, I loved Hardwar – a reworking or a game with a similar setting would be splendid.

• Iskariot says:

Hardwar!
      I so loved that game. Still do. I have wanted a modern sequel for many years now.
      I still own the original in its big red box. What a great game and what potential for a successor.

9. RedViv says:

Well you better have screenshots ready when you go public with your company. Shareholders do not like things too unclear and wobbly.

10. Niko says:

Elite: The Horror of Manual Docking.

11. AlmostPalpable says:

I totally forgot about Elite: Dangerous until yesterday so I checked out these screenshots and a video of some ships attacking a carrier. I’m no longer interested in Elite: Dangerous.

12. wodin says:

I’m hoping his ends up being better than SC..not sure why..maybe the fanboyism of SC backers is mind blowing..and the money some have spent is pretty mind boggling..plus that insurance business where you buy your ship and the game..but if you don’t keep paying insurance that ship will be lost if destroyed..not sure I like that at all. If I’m buying a game with a set of features I don’t expect them to be taken away from me once I die.

• Cinek says:

Well, try to die and see if the “features” you bought won’t be taken away from you. Seems like SC approach is far more realistic and reasonable.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Well Star Citizen looks better and better with every update, while this game just gets less exciting.

• Iskariot says:

My experience with Elite D is exactly the opposite. I have been closely following the development and the ideas Braben is implementing are incredibly exiting. Plus it features true to scale open space as opposed to the unimaginative and incredibly limited sector approach of other space sims. In my book that mere fact makes Elite D the space sim that rules them all.

• Cinek says:

“incredibly limited”? What?
          First of all – most space games do exactly the same and I never, ever felt limited by the sector-based approach.
          Secondly – sectors in Star Citizen will be bigger than in nearly any other game (including X3 series which already had some enormous sectors) so you hardly ever will be bored.
          And the third thing – E:D approach creates only an illusion of freedom. In the end all it will have are multiple “points of interest” and a gigantic sea of nothing through which you will have to travel. It’s not like this “free space” in E:D will be filled with interesting stuff every 30 seconds of flight.

So… I guess now you can see why E:D looks less and less interesting witch each update (add to this rather disappointing quality of 3D models and totally uninteresting ships that look more like a flying matchbox than anything that would be fun or exciting (on top of that all of them follow the same pattern making it even more uninspiring), and you get the picture).

• Professor Paul1290 says:

The fanboyism and tendency to put all hopes on a single game are pretty typical for space sims as a genre, and it highlights one of the things about space sim fans that has always irritated me despite my taste for the games themselves.

Space Sim fans tend to have a lot of tunnel vision when it comes to their favorite games. This is definitely not unique to Space Sims, a lot of genres have that.
      However, Space Sims are “small” enough for it to actually hurt things.

This has been a re-occurring thing even through the so called “good old days” of space sims, which I would personally argue were not really that “good” for a lot of reasons I could go on a rant about.

As much as I like what Star Citizen has been putting out, it’s rabid fanclub making me doubt that things will be any different this time.

13. zarnywoop says:

“…Watching an Eagle emerge from Lave station” is that a ‘soapy nethers’ shower euphemism?

14. Sandepande says:

I gave £50 to Braben & Co. Somehow – can’t explain it, really – it tickles me better than Star Citizen. SC looks pretty pretty, though.

• Apocalypse says:

Nothing wrong with backing both!

• Sandepande says:

You are, of course, correct. But they already have supertankerfuls of money. and… And… I dunno. I’m not sort of keen on that military campaign stuff, sort of feels like wasted resources to me.

Still, it is so very pretty.

15. The Random One says:

You were conditioning your beard… to do what?????

Comment on this story